schmenger

Hey Jerry there are 12 players on the field! Should be a crash course from Coach O. 

Grover

Slomo.....I can see both sides. I too am in the 60+ age bracket and have friends in their mid to late 70’s who are as sharp and physically fit as can be.  Others not so much.  
Everyone is different but my guess is most in their mid 70’s are not physically up to the rigours of training camp and a full season of long, long days.  I’m in great health but wouldn’t ever entertain working 16 hour days for months.  
My personal opinion is that this is another example Jones hiring his buddy because his buddy needs money. I don’t see how someone with NO CFL EXPERIENCE can possibly step right into a DC role regardless of age.  I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s a huge mistake. Having Orlando back is one way to mitigate the risk.
Lenny, Coach Granville is not really in need of money.
His estimated net worth is $10M

http://www.richestlifestyle.com/networth/jerry-glanville-net-worth/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Hank01

Remember Russ Jackson saying Frank Clair was called the absentee Professor .

He couldn't remember names and a few other things but he had a knack for the fundamental understanding of the game that was absorbed when you played for him and this sychronized thought process was reflected in the way the players responded
to his game plan .  

True story many years ago . I had many plumbers come and fix a leak some charged me with a large dime to come but couldn't fix it . I finally called this one guy out of frustration and he was old as you can get and the first thing he said you need to turn the water off to find the leak . It was leaking in the kitchen but dripping in the living room . He found the leak and fixed it in 15 minutes . Guys twice to three times as young couldn't do a simple task for a fraction of the price . That's true with some doctors as well but I won't bore anyone with that .

Some newbies are good because they know new solutions but they are ineffective in providing them or knowing the fundamentals and respecting them .They are seen for  what they are inexperienced and unqualified to respond even to the simplest of tasks .

It depends on knowledge , being able to communicate effectively and of course health relative to the task being asked . Nothing else matters no matter what age .

Johnny Ticat slayer

This guy is so old that he actually coached Warren Moon when there was still a Houston team called the Oilers in the NFL . That was only a mere 33 yrs ago  :o Even more crazier is the guy who he replaced as HC in Houston was none other than former CFL legend Hugh Campbell , late of the 5 Cups in a row Eskimo dynasty of the late seventies, early eighties . I guess that maybe the team hired him because Marv Levy wasn't available . 8)

HA HA HA!

This isn't as good as the Riders signing Vince Young last year, but close!

The dude is 76 friggin years old and hasn't coached in 9 years! He doesn't know the CFL game!

Even Jeff Reinebold is laughing at this one!!!

"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

tcmike

While Lolly was no spring Chicken I thin he was the better option. Having coach O back does given us a good back up and support system in place. I do think Glanville will be out soon. 
Best Game\'s ever. 1986 game 2 Ticat Argo Home and Home East final series and 1998 Eastern Final Hamilton VS Montreal.

Grover

While Lolly was no spring Chicken I thin he was the better option. Having coach O back does given us a good back up and support system in place. I do think Glanville will be out soon.
Lolley has exactly 10 games experience as a Pro Defensive Coordinator.
He was made an interim DC when Reinebold was let go.
Obviously, management did not feel comfortable with Lolley as DC
He was offered another position, but he declined

Glanville was at training camp last season as a guest coach, long before June Jones was ever involved in this team. This is not a June Jones getting a job for his buddy hire.
Glanville is a high quality Coach, his resume speaks for itself

June Jones thinks he will be good
Management thinks he will be good
Having Coach Steinauer overseeing as Asst HC, I think he will be good

Steinauer - bright young mind
Glanville - bright old mind

I don't see a problem

stevehvh

Absolutely agree with you Grover.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Slomojo2005

Slomo.....I can see both sides. I too am in the 60+ age bracket and have friends in their mid to late 70’s who are as sharp and physically fit as can be.  Others not so much.  
Everyone is different but my guess is most in their mid 70’s are not physically up to the rigours of training camp and a full season of long, long days.  I’m in great health but wouldn’t ever entertain working 16 hour days for months.  
My personal opinion is that this is another example Jones hiring his buddy because his buddy needs money. I don’t see how someone with NO CFL EXPERIENCE can possibly step right into a DC role regardless of age.  I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s a huge mistake. Having Orlando back is one way to mitigate the risk.
Lenny, Coach Granville is not really in need of money.
His estimated net worth is $10M

http://www.richestlifestyle.com/networth/jerry-glanville-net-worth/
Yeah he may have a high net worth but likely not immediateky availabel/ not liquid. Like most of us, we donr like dipping into savings, would rather have some pocket change/spending money coming in from other sources.  But what do I know. I dont have 10mill to wonder about.

PatLynch

Absolutely agree with you Grover.
Age is just a number . Here are some other numbers :  18-0 or 12-6 . I can't wait to see which set of numbers the Cats achieve in the 2018 season . Wade Phillips of the Rams is 70 and still one of the best D Coordinators in football . These veteran coaches still share a love of the game and that enthusiasm means a lot to the youngest team in the CFL .

Listen to Grover and stevehvh  !  These guys are good.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

Lennywasout

Wonder why no NFL or NCAA or High School team has hired him as a coach (other than guest coach) since 2009?  As I’ve never gone to a training camp open session, what exactly does a guest coach do during training camp?

Not slamming him, I’m just curious. 

HfxTC

This league was in serious need of "characters". Having people like JJ, Glanville, Sherman added to the league beats the hell out of watching Milanovich or Buono being interviewed week after week. Also, the HC in the CIS has no interest in leaving their unionized environments, the young coaches with promise are doing this so they can hopefully move back to the US. I don't see anything wrong with a few storied old timers being added to the league where they work for the summer and fall and can go fishing the rest of the year. NFL and NCAA are grinds year round.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Grover

Wonder why no NFL or NCAA or High School team has hired him as a coach (other than guest coach) since 2009?  As I’ve never gone to a training camp open session, what exactly does a guest coach do during training camp?

Training camp rosters are limited to 75 players plus non counters(draft picks)

I don't know for sure, but, with over 80+ players to run drills for, evaluate and grade over a very short period of Training camp time, extra help and input on the field and in the conference rooms is much needed.

seymour

I don't know for sure, but, with over 80+ players to run drills for, evaluate and grade over a very short period of Training camp time, extra help and input on the field and in the conference rooms is much needed.
Jerry Glanville - notable talent evaluator and coach. One of Glanville's most notable "accomplishments" in the NFL was giving up on Brett Farve after one season when Glanville was HC in Altanta saying it would "take a plane crash" for him to put Favre into a game.  
After being traded to Green Bay, Favre went on to play 19 seasons, win three MVP awards and a Super Bowl.
In his latest head coaching job with the NCAA's Portland State Vikings (2007-2009), Glanville went 9-24 with zero bowl appearances after taking over the 6th place team in the Big Sky Conference in 2007 and leading them to a 9th place finish before resigning his position with the support of the university in 2009. 

Grover

Jerry Glanville - notable talent evaluator and coach. One of Glanville's most notable "accomplishments" in the NFL was giving up on Brett Farve after one season when Glanville was HC in Altanta saying it would "take a plane crash" for him to put Favre into a game.  
After being traded to Green Bay, Favre went on to play 19 seasons, win three MVP awards and a Super Bowl.
In his latest head coaching job with the NCAA's Portland State Vikings (2007-2009), Glanville went 9-24 with zero bowl appearances after taking over the 6th place team in the Big Sky Conference in 2007 and leading them to a 9th place finish before resigning his position with the support of the university in 2009.
If that is all the negatives you can find on Glanville after 32 years of Coaching, It's not that bad. ;)

seymour

If that is all the negatives you can find on Glanville after 32 years of Coaching, It's not that bad. ;)
Here's another... in 32 years of coaching football at the professional and college levels, I do not see where Glanville has ever coached on a championship-winning team.

Users Online

83 Guests, 9 Users (16 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Beam reach, pdson2, Lennywasout, oskee7777, ticats1963, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (13)

Most Online Today: 124. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)