Lennywasout

Can’t believe how far we’ve dropped after losing Orlando.  Sad we can’t find an EXPERIENCED CFL DC.  There has to be someone out there.

Slomojo2005

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/11/former-nfl-head-coach-jerry-glanville-joins-ticats-coaching-staff-2/

:o
76!?
One of the great football minds of all time. Who cares if he has to use a golf cart.
I totally agree with HfxTC.  

Fans posting on this message board complain about the dumbest things!

Glanville isn't PLAYING.  He is COACHING.  The older a coach is, the more experience and knowledge they bring to the table.  Age is not a negative for a coach.  It's a positive.
Maybe but they forget about what the last play was immediately before calling the next!  That certainly isn't good!

ExPat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igBBW3A-UoU

Glanville, 3 years ago... doesn't look like a wheelchair bound senile to me. Talks about his relationship with Bud Grant at about six minutes.
Bud Grant??  Wow - guess he just missed out on knowing Knute Rockne.

OK, so I'm exaggerating a bit.  Hard to believe there's a guy on our staff who is one degree of separation from someone who was a major figure in 1960s-era CFL football.  I guess Lancaster was a 1960s holdover, but he arrived here 20 years ago (!!)  

Just checked out Grant's wiki page.  29 years of pro football head coaching experience, for a total of just two teams, in two different leagues.  You don't hear that much anymore.  Also, he jumped right from player to head coach, without ever having worked as an assistant coach at any level.  Last time I heard that it was Pinball, and the Argos were mocked for it, until he brought home a Grey Cup for them.

Onemoredork

If hes happy to be an assistant, players like him and he doesnt invite the spotlight theres not much to complain about. Experience in a pro culture and connections mean something.

If he wants to be DC with lots of microphones in his face complete with sunglasses and cowboy hat...no way.

Crash

More US connections if nothing else. Cant hurt
Old boys club. Between him and Jones this can't be a good thing at all....
This ixactly what I have been preaching about Jones.  He did nothing more than arrive to TiCat-land, at the right time.  The Team was in disarray with Austin and Jones arrived and the boys turned on again.  Not because of Jones but in spite of him.   Could have been anyone at that time.  Now he brings in one of his "old" boys in to take a cheque.  I don't like it either Onemore, one little bit!
Except I was being sarcastic.
Jones came in and put HIS system in place. He wasn't simply a placeholder. He completely changed the culture. You honestly think a recycled CFL head coach would have come in and put Masoli into a cookie cut CFL offense and have any more success than Austin?

schmenger

Glanville and Jones have more football knowledge than anyone who has ever posted on this forum. Sad some people think age is a deterant. This obviously comes from the know it all been there generation. You people are pathetic and obviously not very intelligent. Talk amongst yourselves!

Grover

Glanville at TiCats training camp at Mac last year posing with Marshall Ferguson
He was invited by Coach Reinebold

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

bobo82

Well , if anything we seem to have hired quite a colourful character in Glanville . Among other things apparently the guy is a huge Elvis Presley fan and used to leave two tickets at the will-call window for the "King" for every home game . Not surprisingly the tickets were never picked up for any of the games , considering at the time that Presley was dead having died a decade before.

Also just like that other HC named Jones out on the prairies Glanville insisted on wearing only all black clothing . His reasoning for this was so his players would easily recognise him and know who he was .

He also was known for coining the phrase "the NFL stands for Not For Long" which he used in talking about game officials who in his mind made bad calls against his team .

Early on in his career while working as an Assistant coach for Western Kentucky U he was known for drawing up football plays on empty pizza boxes .

Another thing that Glanville was known for was driving replicas of vehicles driven by actor James Dean.

He resigned and left the Oilers and signed as HC of the Atlanta Falcons in 1990. When he was asked about how he felt about becoming the Falcons new HC he replied " I feel like I just inherited a flat tire "

In his first year as the Falcons HC he had some rookie QB name of Favre . He wasn't impressed with his young QB and when asked why he wasn't playing him stated that '' It would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into a game" . Nonetheless he was also known to place $100.00 bets (with Favre and others ) on whether or not he could throw a football into the 3rd deck of stadiums before games .

And lastly he became interested in NASCAR after befriending  the legendary Dale Earnhardt who became his mentor and actually joined the circuit and started racing himself in 1992. His first official race was the 1992 NASCAR Busch Grand National in a car sponsored by the Falcons themselves . His best ever finish was in 2002 at the Nashville Superspeedway when he finished in 4th place .

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

HfxTC

Well , if anything we seem to have hired quite a colourful character in Glanville . Among other things apparently the guy is a huge Elvis Presley fan and used to leave two tickets at the will-call window for the "King" for every home game . Not surprisingly the tickets were never picked up for any of the games , considering at the time that Presley was dead having died a decade before.

Also just like that other HC named Jones out on the prairies Glanville insisted on wearing only all black clothing . His reasoning for this was so his players would easily recognise him and know who he was .

He also was known for coining the phrase "the NFL stands for Not For Long" which he used in talking about game officials who in his mind made bad calls against his team .

Early on in his career while working as an Assistant coach for Western Kentucky U he was known for drawing up football plays on empty pizza boxes .

Another thing that Glanville was known for was driving replicas of vehicles driven by actor James Dean.

He resigned and left the Oilers and signed as HC of the Atlanta Falcons in 1990. When he was asked about how he felt about becoming the Falcons new HC he replied " I feel like I just inherited a flat tire "

In his first year as the Falcons HC he had some rookie QB name of Favre . He wasn't impressed with his young QB and when asked why he wasn't playing him stated that '' It would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into a game" . Nonetheless he was also known to place $100.00 bets (with Favre and others ) on whether or not he could throw a football into the 3rd deck of stadiums before games .

And lastly he became interested in NASCAR after befriending  the legendary Dale Earnhardt who became his mentor and actually joined the circuit and started racing himself in 1992. His first official race was the 1992 NASCAR Busch Grand National in a car sponsored by the Falcons themselves . His best ever finish was in 2002 at the Nashville Superspeedway when he finished in 4th place .

He's an interesting character for sure, always liked him. For those who can count he was rubbing bumpers at 200 miles per hour at the tender age of 59 years old... I mean... How can you not admire that. Or put in another way he had more success in NASCAR than Jacques Villeneuve who was 30 years younger.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Hank01

I hear some yahoos on 3rd down nation describing this move similar as the Gliebermans of Ottawa .

They obviously never lived thru it because the Tiger Cats are a class organization and are no where near the Glieberman fiasco .

Your lucky you have a solid owner who cares about his team .

HfxTC

I hear some yahoos on 3rd down nation describing this move similar as the Gliebermans of Ottawa .

They obviously never lived thru it because the Tiger Cats are a class organization and are no where near the Glieberman fiasco .

Your lucky you have a solid owner who cares about his team .
Go take a peek at the small minds at Riderfans.com

vjcos

Doesen't mean a thing if you don't sign the rite FA'S.

blackandgld

I don't quite get the value in adding him to the coaching staff other than he hired Jones in Atlanta so now Jones is repaying the favor...not sure a coach with no experience in the CFL at this advanced point in his life brings a lot to the team other than his name.

Hope I am wrong but Jones posses so much experience on the coaching and people skills side and IMO was lacking slightly on the CFL slant on some occasions. A perfect fit to me would be an experienced grizzled battle tested former CFL coach instead. 

This ain't that.

Onemoredork

Doesen't mean a thing if you don't sign the rite FA'S.
Actually if you arent signing FAs you need a pipeline to cheap young american talent so the more connections, like Glanville, the better

guelphcatsfan

I'm glad he's here!  At 76 he doesn't have anything to prove, probably doesn't need the money but still loves the game.

What I will say - is that the one flaw I saw in Jones' was  mismanagement of the clock which I think was a result of not fully appreciating the Canadian game.  With JG there may be more of the same, so as long as that get fixed we should be OK.

Users Online

104 Guests, 16 Users (15 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Onemoredork, Lennywasout, SeaFiddle, FormerlyTurkish, KevinRiley2, Grover, FootbalYouBet, ticat1, Mightygoose, Lucas Bellemare, MtnCat, okie, Condors4ever, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)