Palmer

Edmonton was going all in on a Grey Cup run.  That's what you do when you want to win a championship NOW.

Bowman will end up in Saskatchewan, another team that is taking on huge amounts of salary (Collaros, Hughes, Jefferson) to win a championship NOW.
How is Saskatchewan loading up on talent, and still managing to stay under the cap?  Is there someway players can "defer" salary over a longer period, say for example (and I am just making up round numbers to cover up bad math skills), a $100,000 salary for this year, but paid as $25,000 over four years?  Or like the old NCAA trick, sign a player to a college scholarship and then have an alumnus give him an off-season 'job' for several thousand bucks over and above. 

It looks like Edmonton got boxed with Chick and Gable, resulting in the loss of Bowman and Willis, and maybe that is the trick - sign them up for big signing bonuses payable in the second year, but then cut them before the bonus has to be paid? Seems a bit shady, and you'd think something players, the CFLPA, or an agent would know about and be cautious about.

bobo82

If anything it sounds like Bowman is a really good guy and just an all round good person . I've posted a story from 3DN written by D.Edwards about what Bowman meant to a six year old little girl fan of his and how among other things how he actually showed up at her birthday party . Olivia was quite upset when she found out that her buddy Adarius was cut from the Eskimos .

Enjoy . It's stories like this that make me proud to be such a big fan of this league . :)

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/07/heartbroken-eskimo-kid-every-reason-sad/
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Slomojo2005

I like the player, but we are no where near being GC contenders. (I realize anything can happen)
Would prefer to get younger players that can be groomed.
There is no “grooming” or long term rebuilding necessary in CFL.  As we have seen many a time, a team can be in last place one year and then contend or win it all the next.  All about who you sign and chemistry.  So I say, go for all the marbles this year. 

beaglehound

If anything it sounds like Bowman is a really good guy and just an all round good person . I've posted a story from 3DN written by D.Edwards about what Bowman meant to a six year old little girl fan of his and how among other things how he actually showed up at her birthday party . Olivia was quite upset when she found out that her buddy Adarius was cut from the Eskimos .

Enjoy . It's stories like this that make me proud to be such a big fan of this league . :)

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/07/heartbroken-eskimo-kid-every-reason-sad/
What a great story Bobo.  Bowman made that little girl's day for sure! It is gratifying to read stories like that.  Thanks.  :)
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."

Crash

I like the player, but we are no where near being GC contenders. (I realize anything can happen)
Would prefer to get younger players that can be groomed.
There is no “grooming” or long term rebuilding necessary in CFL.  As we have seen many a time, a team can be in last place one year and then contend or win it all the next.  All about who you sign and chemistry.  So I say, go for all the marbles this year.
Normally i would agree with 150Gage - but the turnaround by our team last year was nothing like i have ever seen in the CFL. You could argue we were the best team in the league the 2nd half of the year. 

There's no reason we cant win the east this coming season. Im not making a prediction, i'm saying we are just as good as Toronto and Ottawa.

safetyblitz

When will players learn not to sign contracts with big off season bonuses, when they all get cut before said bonus.  I'm really getting tired of hearing about these guys getting screwed over.
Or maybe the point of those bonuses is to force a team to decide whether they are serious about hanging on to the player for the upcoming season *before* the free agent buying spree happens. A player who gets released ahead of all the free agents will have better opportunities than a player who gets released *after* the league-wide free agent spending binge is over.

Grover

There's no reason we cant win the east this coming season. Im not making a prediction, i'm saying we are just as good as Toronto and Ottawa.
The Arghos just lost their DC, Chamblin just said he won't be back.
This is a huge blow to their defense and a very short time to replace him.  ;D

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/06/defensive-coordinator-corey-chamblin-not-planning-return-argos/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Palmer

Doesn't every guy, wanting a release from his contract, want to be "closer to his family"?  I seemed to recall some guy name Condell using the same excuse, unless of course, technically, Toronto was closer to the airport than Hamilton.

Besides, I don't think Popp and Trestman will spend too much time crying in their beer before bringing on a qualified replacement.

Grover

Doesn't every guy, wanting a release from his contract, want to be "closer to his family"?  I seemed to recall some guy name Condell using the same excuse, unless of course, technically, Toronto was closer to the airport than Hamilton.

Besides, I don't think Popp and Trestman will spend too much time crying in their beer before bringing on a qualified replacement.
Casey Creehan is available.  ;D ;D ;D

blackandgld

If it is for The Arblows I would highly recommend Jeff Reinebold.

Count Floyd

Edmonton was going all in on a Grey Cup run.  That's what you do when you want to win a championship NOW.

Bowman will end up in Saskatchewan, another team that is taking on huge amounts of salary (Collaros, Hughes, Jefferson) to win a championship NOW.
How is Saskatchewan loading up on talent, and still managing to stay under the cap?  Is there someway players can "defer" salary over a longer period, say for example (and I am just making up round numbers to cover up bad math skills), a $100,000 salary for this year, but paid as $25,000 over four years?  Or like the old NCAA trick, sign a player to a college scholarship and then have an alumnus give him an off-season 'job' for several thousand bucks over and above.

It looks like Edmonton got boxed with Chick and Gable, resulting in the loss of Bowman and Willis, and maybe that is the trick - sign them up for big signing bonuses payable in the second year, but then cut them before the bonus has to be paid? Seems a bit shady, and you'd think something players, the CFLPA, or an agent would know about and be cautious about.
Sask is def going to have to cut some salary.

bobo82

Well Bowman wasn't unemployed for very long , Winnipeg have just signed him . My guess is that with this signing that long time Bomber Clarence Denmark's days as a Bomber have most likely come to an end . Nonetheless , good signing by the B.B's .

Here's the link to the announcement over at 3DN....

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/09/bombers-ink-star-receiver-adarius-bowman/

pw13

Normally i would agree with 150Gage - but the turnaround by our team last year was nothing like i have ever seen in the CFL. You could argue we were the best team in the league the 2nd half of the year.

Not to diminish the Cats' turnaround in 2017, but how about BC in 2011 -- started out 1-and-6 and finished as GC champs.

Grover

Accepted $140K from Bummers, turned down EDM for $125K and SSK for $160K

CFL News‏ 
@CFL_News
 1h1 hour ago
#Riders made a substantial offer and were hot on him early while the #BCLions weren’t willing to dedicate the cap space to another receiver. #Argos made a late push but #AlsMTL never really a consideration due to their unproven quarterbacking situation. - @JDunk12 #CFL

ExPat

Not to diminish the Cats' turnaround in 2017, but how about BC in 2011 -- started out 1-and-6 and finished as GC champs.
Well, maybe 150Gage wasn't watching that year.

Users Online

81 Guests, 2 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Niagara Als, coputestoer, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 110. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)