Crash

Zach was the big part of the All-Austin team for Kent to develop his own players in  Hamilton rather than just taking over from the past, well it never panned out as planned and certainly not for an unproven QB at $540,000?

If Collaros had a Grey Cup victory under his cap and was a capable pro at that level, maybe but not as an unproven.

Chris Jones might be a bit more interested now in Collaros with the recent hand injury to Glenn, although apparently not serious Zach would still have a better future in Regina and allow the Cats to clear some much needed salary room.
So if the Banks return doesn't get called back for holding Zach is worth 540k?

seamack3

Zach was the big part of the All-Austin team for Kent to develop his own players in  Hamilton rather than just taking over from the past, well it never panned out as planned and certainly not for an unproven QB at $540,000?

If Collaros had a Grey Cup victory under his cap and was a capable pro at that level, maybe but not as an unproven.

Chris Jones might be a bit more interested now in Collaros with the recent hand injury to Glenn, although apparently not serious Zach would still have a better future in Regina and allow the Cats to clear some much needed salary room.
Zach had every opportunity to win that game in the 4th quarter with 1st downs inside the Stamps 25 yd line on 3 occasions and came up empty save for Medlock's 3 pointers.  The penalty on Banks return is mute if Collaros does his job.

Crash

Zach had every opportunity to win that game in the 4th quarter with 1st downs inside the Stamps 25 yd line on 3 occasions and came up empty save for Medlock's 3 pointers.  The penalty on Banks return is mute if Collaros does his job.
25/33 342 yds 1TD 0INT and now we're saying he could have done better. This place is classic. The guy outplayed Bo Levi in the game. Being held to a FG by a great team in a Grey Cup isn't a failure.

My comment was directed at the "if he had won a GC he would be worth that money"

I'll take it a step further, if he scores on all 3 of those drives hes worth 540k?

ExPat

I'll take it a step further, if he scores on all 3 of those drives hes worth 540k?
Top QBs score a TD on every single drive.  Didn't you know that?

Obrigardo

Top QBs score a TD on every single drive.  Didn't you know that?
The highest paid qb in the cfl cant lose 12 in a row and keep his job. Thats sports reallity

Killer91

I agree and not to pile on Zach but 2014... That was our year to win the cup.  After 2013, we released Hank,  invested in Collaros after losing GC in  Regina - Zach got us there but lost the big one and we have trended down ever since.  That is the frustrating thing...the pattern is you go there lose, learn from it  and win it the next year with the experience of the loss.  Austin gambled on the relatively inexperienced QB after 2013, looked pretty good at the time but it has gone down hill since for a number of reasons but that's the reality - the trend has been downward since that Grey Cup loss in 2014.  That is why this whole scenario has been so frustrating - those 2013-2014 Teams were so good and we have no Cup to show for it and now we are 2-8....this sums up the whole frustration in a nut shell! (or mine at least).  

Palmer

Top QBs score a TD on every single drive.  Didn't you know that?
Maybe don't score on every single drive, but the threat to do so should always be there.  That's what they are trained and paid to do.

You wouldn't keep a secretary that can't spell or type, you shouldn't keep a QB that can't at least be a threat to score every time he is on the field.

NOT saying that Zach is not worth keeping, but am saying that he needs to be better.

Slomojo2005

You make it sound like Zack lost the game.  A team loss.  And yes, the Banks call back is mute nonetheless. 

DisplacedCatsFan

I agree and not to pile on Zach but 2014... That was our year to win the cup.  After 2013, we released Hank,  invested in Collaros after losing GC in  Regina - Zach got us there but lost the big one and we have trended down ever since.  That is the frustrating thing...the pattern is you go there lose, learn from it  and win it the next year with the experience of the loss.  Austin gambled on the relatively inexperienced QB after 2013, looked pretty good at the time but it has gone down hill since for a number of reasons but that's the reality - the trend has been downward since that Grey Cup loss in 2014.  That is why this whole scenario has been so frustrating - those 2013-2014 Teams were so good and we have no Cup to show for it and now we are 2-8....this sums up the whole frustration in a nut shell! (or mine at least).  
So you completely dismiss the first half on 2015 when Zach and the Ticats were lighting up every team they faced?  Zach was on a MOP pace up until he tore his ACL.  I agree that they have been playing poorly since then, but the majority of that comes down to too many devastating injuries to key players (Fantuz, Tolliver, Owens, Tasker, Olsen, Dyakowski, Washington, Butler, etc)...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Lennywasout

DisplacedCatsFan.....I starting to think you and I have become the only ones who support keeping Zach.  Give him a chance to start and see if he can play like he did in the past.  Masoli will be a sought after commodity and we'll be competing for him.  
I'd like to see Zach get another chance.  

Crash

I agree and not to pile on Zach but 2014... That was our year to win the cup.  After 2013, we released Hank,  invested in Collaros after losing GC in  Regina - Zach got us there but lost the big one and we have trended down ever since.  That is the frustrating thing...the pattern is you go there lose, learn from it  and win it the next year with the experience of the loss.  Austin gambled on the relatively inexperienced QB after 2013, looked pretty good at the time but it has gone down hill since for a number of reasons but that's the reality - the trend has been downward since that Grey Cup loss in 2014.  That is why this whole scenario has been so frustrating - those 2013-2014 Teams were so good and we have no Cup to show for it and now we are 2-8....this sums up the whole frustration in a nut shell! (or mine at least).  
So you completely dismiss the first half on 2015 when Zach and the Ticats were lighting up every team they faced?  Zach was on a MOP pace up until he tore his ACL.  I agree that they have been playing poorly since then, but the majority of that comes down to too many devastating injuries to key players (Fantuz, Tolliver, Owens, Tasker, Olsen, Dyakowski, Washington, Butler, etc)...
Agreed. The Zach injury and those since are the reason for the downfall of the team combined with lack of depth. Not losing the Grey Cup we weren't a favourite in. Zach had this team much closer to willing than Selfish Hank did.

If the team that starts the year with Owens - Tolliver - Fantuz - Tasker stays healthy who knows what would have been?

ExPat

You make it sound like Zack lost the game.  A team loss.  And yes, the Banks call back is mute nonetheless.

Sometimes I forget that football is a one-man game, with the QB 100% responsible for all wins and all losses.  It is only when I read threads like this that I am reminded of it.

Killer91

Sometimes I forget that football is a one-man game, with the QB 100% responsible for all wins and all losses.  It is only when I read threads like this that I am reminded of it.
Yes football is a team game, everyone gets that...for discussion.. does Sask have a better chance with Glenn or Bridge tomorrow? The QB is exponentially important in the CFL especially and even more so in a Grey Cup when pressure is 10 fold of a regular CFL game.  

Palmer

It seems that in most team sports, the play at every "skill" position (especially QBs in football, pitchers in baseball and goalies in hockey) is very important when your favourite is playing well, not so much when he isn't.

No reasonable person can deny that Zach played well in 2014 and had a sensational start to the 2015 season.  Likewise, no one should reasonably deny that he has not played as well since his return in 2016.  You only need to go back through the posts and threads to read the many theories on why that was or is.  However, I for one, do not believe he has lost his skills, and I believe if he can get himself together, or be coached to get there, then he can be a top-level CFL QB.  

If $500K is what a top-level guy gets, then he is worth it.  If he doesn't return to that level, then he is not.

ExPat

No reasonable person can deny that Zach played well in 2014 and had a sensational start to the 2015 season. 
You've lost me there.  Maybe you don't read the same posts I do.  Or maybe the key word in your sentence is "reasonable".

Users Online

89 Guests, 6 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
toddstattoo, 97valkyrie, GOTC1, Grover, smokeystover, DavidThompson, Yahoo!, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 116. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)