tangledweb

Question is, Do you believe Collaros is worth his weight at over $540,000 for next season?
Please provide comparable figures for other QBs in the league so that we are not discussing in a vacuum.

Thanks

According to quarterback salaries on 3downnation.com, Zach Collaros of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Mike Reilly lead the CFL with $520,000 each, followed by Bo Levi Mitchell of the Calgary Stampeders ($460,000), Trevor Harris of the Ottawa Redblacks ($420,000), Matt Nichols of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers ($400,000) and Durant.

Thanks and much obliged Grover.
And the remaining CFL starters are making;
Jennings 175k base + bonuses/incentives
Glenn 200k base + bonuses up to 300k
And Ray's contract is based heavily on incentives/bonuses as it was drastically restructured a year and a half ago. From my recollection, it is around 250k base salary and as high as 490k if all performance criteria and starts are fully realized.

Crash

Trading block? A QB with 11 straight losses, history of serious injuries and a 550k a season contract... Masoli is the better CFL quarterback. They might try and trade him till a slice of money is owed to him or they may try to restructure his contract in the off season but a trade is not likely.
Yikes.

cats99

It's going to be the Calvillo story again a broken record ! Build the O line and receiving 
Core ?! What do you think a Johnny Manziel would command ?!$ now that's a big risk
Die Mannschaft ****🏆🇩🇪
FCB Bayern****⚽️🇩🇪
TFC⚽️🇨🇦
Buffalo Bills🏈

DogsFan

Think he will have to re-negotiate his contract. It's either reneg, or he'll be released. Sure he will be picked up, but who knows what kind of money he'll get? Surely less than the Ticats would pay to keep him.

blackandgld

It's going to be the Calvillo story again a broken record ! Build the O line and receiving
Core ?! What do you think a Johnny Manziel would command ?!$ now that's a big risk
What is the Calvillo story everyone keeps referencing?
Leave as a FA, have 2 years understudy and learn as a backup and then become the top QB in the league.
Is this what people think will happen with Collaros?

KevinRiley2

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

ExPat

Thanks Grover.  

Sounds like Collaros and Reilly did the best job negotiating, or had the best agents.  Had Zach negotiated for $400k or $450k instead, I'm not so sure his job would have been guaranteed anyway given the same performance.  And had he and the team met expectations or returned to their 2015 pace, we would not likely be having this conversation.

Assuming all their contracts expire next February (which I know they don't), I'm thinking:

- Reilly wants the same or slightly more
- BLM asks for Reilly-type money, or else tries the NFL route
- Harris wants a bit more to get him closer to the leaders
- Ditto for Nichols
- Jennings will want more, but will only get it if he can re-establish himself.  Only reason he accepted the current amount is because it was a renegotiation from a much lower base that he had locked into before he knew he'd be a starter.
- Glenn has no leverage because of his age, but can likely get a similar structure with performance bonuses
- Ray is happy with the same deal again, but more likely hangs up the cleats
- Durant has to accept less, and is lucky if he can be slotted in as a starter

And Collaros has to accept less, because the market is the market.  But it would be easier for him to accept less from another team than to renegotiate downward with the Cats.  Just a matter of pride, and knowing that there issues run much deeper than his own play.

ExPat

What is the Calvillo story everyone keeps referencing?
Leave as a FA, have 2 years understudy and learn as a backup and then become the top QB in the league.
Is this what people think will happen with Collaros?
The Calvillo story is a rite of passage on this site.  Except that unlike a normal rite of passage, which happens once, the Calvillo story must be rehashed every time it enters someone's mind.  And everyone who says it believes they have come up with an original thought, even though it is now rolled out several times a day.

It is our own version of Godwin's Law.

slimjim2

Some great CFL coverage and they discuss the Collaros situation

https://www.pscp.tv/CFL/1mnxemoYyZAxX?t=330

tabbyfan

ZC is still our QB and I don't think any trade should take place (but would you swap R. Ray for ZC for the rest of this season?).  I think, as others have mentioned, that ZC lost confidence in himself and the staff and definitely the O-line; a "time-out" will do him good. I think he will start in 2 games (Lions). JM was not a whole lot better than a 'bad' ZC, so to put the team on JM's shoulders doesn't exactly seem like a smart move to me.

Is ZC worth the cash...NOPE, no one in the CFL is, not when you have a 5M cap.

letsgoticats

I know Collaros hasn't played like the highest QB in the league.  But does anyone think we'd be a much better team with say, Matt Nichols and an extra 140k in cap room?  I don't think Collaros salary is the back breaker some people are making it out to be.  

of course

Collaros was Austin's guy, and now Austin is no longer the coach.

June Jones is now the coach, and Jones will pick his own guy to QB the team.

The fact that Jones immediately picked Masoli over Collaros speaks volumes.  Our starting QB next year may not be Masoli, but it will definitely not be Collaros.

Tillman will try to move Collaros for assets to help Jones build a championship team going forward.  Hopefully that means we deal Collaros to the Riders and not the Argos.  Regardless, isn't it better to trade Collaros for something rather than just cutting him?

I think a potential trading partner could also be BC.  Lulay is always hurt, and Jennings, like Collaros, seems to have lost his game.

ottawacat

I know Collaros hasn't played like the highest QB in the league.  But does anyone think we'd be a much better team with say, Matt Nichols and an extra 140k in cap room?  I don't think Collaros salary is the back breaker some people are making it out to be.  
To your first question, my answer would be -- Yes, I do, this year, because we'd be getting much better performance from our QB and have the extra dollars to invest in other areas of need.
To your second statement -- I'd agree, if he was performing at, at worst, the level of one of the top three QBs in the league. 

FormerlyTurkish

The Austin Collaros relationship clearly hit the rocks this year.  It is possible that Austin (wearer of many hats) wanted to teach Zach a lesson and get out of the contract so set him up for failure.  How else do you explain the same crap plays game in and game out.  All of sudden Jones is in charge and gets the ball to Speedy B as much as possible.  Given the same plays and support Zac may have performed better but in the end you had 2 massive egos smashing into one another.

schmenger

As I recall the AC story, Danny Mac and the Little General came to town with Darin Flutey. I recall Hamilton had their usual horrible O Line and AC was a gun slinger. I watched him throw for 500 yards. So, AC leaves because the braintrust didn't have any confidence in his ability. Once Danny Mac established himself and with an improved O Line the rest of the story worked fairly well. Fast forward, Zac has lost something in his physical and mental capabilities. Performance incentives is the only way moving forward. As I said on a previous post Austin was nuts to pay Collaros that amount of coin. Renegotiate or trade with a team out west.

Users Online

146 Guests, 10 Users (16 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Slomojo2005, Grover, bobo82, drummer_god, Lennywasout, rockfish, Niagara Als, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 300. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)