blackandgld

Here is hoping Phil Lolley is back.
Wondering if Dan Morrison will be named Offensive Coordinator?
Craig Butler was an interesting add, will he be given an expanded role?
It was an odd year last year adding Jones, losing Austin
Losing Reinebold, promoting Lolley, adding Butler, losing coach Fantuz and who knows what OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR & RECEIVERS COACH Stef Ptaszek was tasked with week to week but i don't think he was doing what his job title said he should be doing???

Still lots of questions to be answered on this front.

Krisiun

I'm not sure about Lolly. His defence was much improved over Reinbold but Lolly seems to employ a "bend but don"t break" style of defence. Unfortunately, there were too many times his defence couldn't shut it down. Numerous 2nd and longs were converted by the opposing offences. Even a 3rd and 22 against Argos if I recall. Then there was the late game drives against Argos and Stamps where the defense totally choked. Maybe Lolly just needs a few better players to execute his schemes.

blackandgld

From Dec.4th article up on Marshall Ferguson's site. June Jones press conference:
On his staff in Hamilton:
Maybe a couple small changes on staff. Hoping to have everything finished in ten days to two weeks. I know what I want to do but we have to do whats best for the football team.

Reaction: I really don't know who Jones would want to replace but in Week 16 with the Ticats on the road at Winnipeg I looked at my twitter timeline and saw Hawaii offensive line coach Chris Neole resigned citing “philosophical differences with the handling of disciplinary matters in the program.” By all accounts he appears available and we all know how Jones' Hawaii roots run deep. Worth mentioning.

after re-reading this line it seems very odd:
I know what I want to do but we have to do whats best for the football team.

So that sounds like Jones wants to do something but he would not be allowed by The Cats? Would this relate back to the failed hiring of the Ex Baylor coach?

Espo

From Dec.4th article up on Marshall Ferguson's site. June Jones press conference:
On his staff in Hamilton:
Maybe a couple small changes on staff. Hoping to have everything finished in ten days to two weeks. I know what I want to do but we have to do whats best for the football team.

Reaction: I really don't know who Jones would want to replace but in Week 16 with the Ticats on the road at Winnipeg I looked at my twitter timeline and saw Hawaii offensive line coach Chris Neole resigned citing “philosophical differences with the handling of disciplinary matters in the program.” By all accounts he appears available and we all know how Jones' Hawaii roots run deep. Worth mentioning.

after re-reading this line it seems very odd:
I know what I want to do but we have to do whats best for the football team.

So that sounds like Jones wants to do something but he would not be allowed by The Cats? Would this relate back to the failed hiring of the Ex Baylor coach?
Odd, I read that more as "i love everyone here and would keep everyone on if i could, but we have to do what's best for the team"  
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

blackandgld

YUP, that could be what Jones meant. I didn't read it like that but it could be what he was trying to say.

Krisiun

Special teams on both sides of the ball were pretty bad last year. Hopefully they address that in the off-season.

blackandgld

And the one special team solid we had last year probably won't be available due to the season ending knee injury suffered. Will there be another kicking battle in camp again this year??

canadianfootballfan

I'm not sure about Lolly. His defence was much improved over Reinbold but Lolly seems to employ a "bend but don"t break" style of defence. Unfortunately, there were too many times his defence couldn't shut it down. Numerous 2nd and longs were converted by the opposing offences. Even a 3rd and 22 against Argos if I recall. Then there was the late game drives against Argos and Stamps where the defense totally choked. Maybe Lolly just needs a few better players to execute his schemes.
The thing is...  the guys on the other teams are talented football players also, and you just can't win every play or series in pro football.

my home team

"I'm not sure about Lolly. His defence was much improved over Reinbold but Lolly seems to employ a "bend but don"t break" style of defence. Unfortunately, there were too many times his defence couldn't shut it down. Numerous 2nd and longs were converted by the opposing offences. Even a 3rd and 22 against Argos if I recall. Then there was the late game drives against Argos and Stamps where the defense totally choked. Maybe Lolly just needs a few better players to execute his schemes."

Like June Jones, Phil Lolley had to create and coach on the run. Had little time to get to know his players.

Now, he has the off season to look at film, package his complete playbook and decide on those players he wants to position and where.

Things should improve on the defense significantly come this season.

Should he stay.

Krisiun

"I'm not sure about Lolly. His defence was much improved over Reinbold but Lolly seems to employ a "bend but don"t break" style of defence. Unfortunately, there were too many times his defence couldn't shut it down. Numerous 2nd and longs were converted by the opposing offences. Even a 3rd and 22 against Argos if I recall. Then there was the late game drives against Argos and Stamps where the defense totally choked. Maybe Lolly just needs a few better players to execute his schemes."

Like June Jones, Phil Lolley had to create and coach on the run. Had little time to get to know his players.

Now, he has the off season to look at film, package his complete playbook and decide on those players he wants to position and where.

Things should improve on the defense significantly come this season.

Should he stay.
Good points. I think most of us got used to Steinauer's defense which seemed to press the opposing offence more and close the gaps really quick. Very stingy especially during the 2015 season. There was a confidence in that defense that they would shut it down when needed. As you say, Lolly may indeed be a good fit once he gets a full grasp of his players and schemes.

Palmer

Good points. I think most of us got used to Steinauer's defense which seemed to press the opposing offence more and close the gaps really quick. Very stingy especially during the 2015 season. There was a confidence in that defense that they would shut it down when needed. As you say, Lolly may indeed be a good fit once he gets a full grasp of his players and schemes.
I always felt Steinauer's philosophy was more the bend and don't break style of defence, similar to Lolly.  Without going back to the stats, I can't say I remember a lot of blitzes nor sacks, and kind of more in the middle of the pack rankings?  In fact, I seem to recall even the DEs and LBs in a lot more pass coverage than pressure defences than most other team's schemes?

Reinebold seemed to adopt the same philosophy, but didn't seem to have any success.

15_championships

Steinaur's 2015 defense was a force to be reckoned with. High pressure, shut down, tons of turn overs, I think they were even almost scoring as much as the offense. Steinaur's 2016 defense was the most idiotic scheme ive ever seen in my life. Blitz DL and LBs and back the DBs 10-15 yards off the receiver and try to rally to the ball after the catch which never worked because we also couldnt tackle. So QBs loved it, blitz all you want, a little 3 yard dump to the WR and hes off running for 25+ yards every time.

Users Online

95 Guests, 11 Users (19 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
hairyarm, Evil Doctor, narles, Mightygoose, KevinRiley2, claudebug, pdson2, greenandwhite, schmenger, FootbalYouBet, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (15)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)