Espo

Let’s just move forward and stop the Austin bashing!  Games were lost by the team not Austin.  Players were selected for the team by Austin, some remained and performed and some didn’t. Some were released since they didn't pan out in Hammer and they performed better  for other teams. But there are player signings that worked well for Cats that no one else picked up.  Eg Castilo!!!!! So what I’m saying is that it is very easy to look back and criticize. Not so easy making the “real time” decisions!  Some will work out and others won’t. That’s life. An example from Leaf-land. The Leafs had choice to draft McKenny (I think) or Bobby Orr and we all know how that worked out.  
Wow. I did not know that! ...and I'm not being sarcastic.
It's not true. Orr signed with Boston Bruins at the age of 13; he was never drafted.
still more or less accurate (since the Leafs had first chance to try and sign him and passed....  or something along those lines....  )
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

schmenger

I guess I am probably pegged as a person who has bashed Austin. Some of his player decisions have been questionable. I am sure I don't have to list the players that have done extremely well on other teams. One point that he refused to change was his pass pass pass and forget about the run stick. A professional coach does not act like that and expect the scheme to work.   

Onemoredork

it'll take a few more years before Ellingson becomes the most productive receiver the Cats ever let go free.  Tomorrow we'll see the holder of that title, to date -- Marquay McDaniel.  I don't recall the circumstances but he was just plain released in the summer of his 3rd season here.
He was released due to chronic fumbilitis. He admitted as much. Good but not great rec who reaps the benefits of playing on a stacked offense.

my home team

I guess I am probably pegged as a person who has bashed Austin. Some of his player decisions have been questionable. I am sure I don't have to list the players that have done extremely well on other teams. One point that he refused to change was his pass pass pass and forget about the run stick. A professional coach does not act like that and expect the scheme to work.  
I know. He "stuck" with the pass offense just to spite you.

Coaches will stay with what THEY believe will work. We, including you, have no idea of what was happening behind the scenes (injuries not reported, personal circumstances, coaching concerns).

I'm not even going to get into the "players that have done well on other teams" bashing. That has been discussed and explained to extreme length.

And yes, you're STILL bashing Kent Austin.

Here's some not so new news......He's NO LONGER the head coach....you can relax now.

BillyDee87

What's a "run stick"?
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

Palmer

Austin stated on more than one occasion that with two downs to advance the ball, a team has to stretch the field “vertically”.  Simply put, he preferred the long pass to the short run.  Plus, he was himself a passing QB.  Expecting anything else from him is irrational.  His is a pass first and pass often offence.

Let it go. 

stevehvh

I agree.

Every coach makes questionable decisions. Virtually all decisions are questionable, that's why there are boards like this for debate. 

Yes, we have let go or traded away players who have done well elsewhere. So what? We've also picked up players who started elsewhere and then did very well in Hamilton. 

Kent Austin is a pass oriented coach. He isn't the first and won't be the last. This doesn't mean he is not a "professional" coach. He certainly is. He wouldn't have taken us to two Grey Cup games if he wasn't.

Now we have a new coach. I hope he gets us into one too.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

my home team

it'll take a few more years before Ellingson becomes the most productive receiver the Cats ever let go free.  Tomorrow we'll see the holder of that title, to date -- Marquay McDaniel.  I don't recall the circumstances but he was just plain released in the summer of his 3rd season here.
He was released due to chronic fumbilitis. He admitted as much. Good but not great rec who reaps the benefits of playing on a stacked offense.
Ellingson was not let go. He signed as a FREE agent with Ottawa.

safetyblitz

Austin stated on more than one occasion that with two downs to advance the ball, a team has to stretch the field “vertically”.  Simply put, he preferred the long pass to the short run.  Plus, he was himself a passing QB.  Expecting anything else from him is irrational.  His is a pass first and pass often offence.
And the dominance of balanced teams in the CFL over at least the last 15 years shows that hiring a coach who will ignore the need for balance is insanity. Ergo, if it was irrational to expect anything else from him, then it was irrational to hire him in the first place.

cats99

And the dominance of balanced teams in the CFL over at least the last 15 years shows that hiring a coach who will ignore the need for balance is insanity. Ergo, if it was irrational to expect anything else from him, then it was irrational to hire him in the first place.
Establishing the run helps our 
D bigtime also less vertical less incomplete passes and quick two and outs ! 
Die Mannschaft ****🏆🇩🇪
FCB Bayern****⚽️🇩🇪
TFC⚽️🇨🇦
Buffalo Bills🏈

Palmer

Not saying you're wrong, nor that Austin is right.  Just saying that Austin was (and maybe still is) a pass first, pass often play schemer.  You don't expect a squirrel to fly nor a dog to climb trees.  Just the way it is.

my home team

Not saying you're wrong, nor that Austin is right.  Just saying that Austin was (and maybe still is) a pass first, pass often play schemer.  You don't expect a squirrel to fly nor a dog to climb trees.  Just the way it is.
Thing is that June Jones' reputation when he arrived here was that he was a pass oriented coach, much like Kent Austin. At least, that was the perception.

If our coach is like the dog that can't climb trees, then, maybe, he's rented a cherry picker...LOL

Users Online

116 Guests, 6 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Gerbear20, Johnny Ticat slayer, ed ohmnes, dcmoses, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 169. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)