Mark

A real head scratcher you sure letting Ellingson leave. Positive proof Austin is unable to properly access and evaluate talent.
Are we really going through this again?

Unless you own a delorian there was no way to anticipate this.
May I weigh in and smugly state that I DID declare that I loved Ellingson and that I thought we had to figure out a way to keep him. 

( Of course, I am less smug than I could be because I haven't taken the time to search for that post among the last 1000 or 2 but it warms the cockles of my heart as well as annoys me that that - at least for once - management wasn't as brilliant as I am.   :) ;) )

of course

So if we don't trade Collaros, does that mean we let Masoli (who will be looking to start next year) walk?

stevehvh

So if we don't trade Collaros, does that mean we let Masoli (who will be looking to start next year) walk?
Good question. The CFL is a league with a great deal of player mobility. As a free agent after this season, JM will do what anyone in his position would... take the best deal available. That might be here or or it might not. His chances of starting might be better in Hamilton than in most other cities, but that's for him and his agent to decide.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Crash

Good question. The CFL is a league with a great deal of player mobility. As a free agent after this season, JM will do what anyone in his position would... take the best deal available. That might be here or or it might not. His chances of starting might be better in Hamilton than in most other cities, but that's for him and his agent to decide.
Collaros wont be back at his salary and Masoli won't get a starting job anywhere else.
This system being run by Jones is perfect for him. Read option with easy throws.
I fully expect Masoli to be back and likely be the starter.

rockfish

Collaros wont be back at his salary and Masoli won't get a starting job anywhere else.
This system being run by Jones is perfect for him. Read option with easy throws.
I fully expect Masoli to be back and likely be the starter.
I'm ok with that. Unless you can evaluate Zac in the next few games, it's too risky to keep him in place of Masoli. 

But it kind of reminds me of when Jaroslav Halak, for the Habs had that great playoff run, but they decided to go with Carey Price and let Halak go during the off season. We all know that was the right move...not that it brought them a cup, but Price is considered perhaps the top goalie in the league by many. But, hockey isn't football. 

I'm prepared for the inevitable Hab bashing...

rockfish

Let’s just move forward and stop the Austin bashing!  Games were lost by the team not Austin.  Players were selected for the team by Austin, some remained and performed and some didn’t. Some were released since they didn't pan out in Hammer and they performed better  for other teams. But there are player signings that worked well for Cats that no one else picked up.  Eg Castilo!!!!! So what I’m saying is that it is very easy to look back and criticize. Not so easy making the “real time” decisions!  Some will work out and others won’t. That’s life. An example from Leaf-land. The Leafs had choice to draft McKenny (I think) or Bobby Orr and we all know how that worked out.  
Wow. I did not know that! ...and I'm not being sarcastic.

Crash

A real head scratcher you sure letting Ellingson leave. Positive proof Austin is unable to properly access and evaluate talent.

May I weigh in and smugly state that I DID declare that I loved Ellingson and that I thought we had to figure out a way to keep him.

( Of course, I am less smug than I could be because I haven't taken the time to search for that post among the last 1000 or 2 but it warms the cockles of my heart as well as annoys me that that - at least for once - management wasn't as brilliant as I am.   :) ;) )
Mark I completely agree... and at the time I thought the same... but the guy couldn't stay healthy long enough to stay on the field while with this team. By no means am I surprised that he has been this good for Ottawa. I am however surprised that he's been this healthy the entire time.

It's the constant comments about evaluating talent that are simply untrue. We didn't cut him... he was made a better offer in free agency after being constantly hurt in Hamilton.

rockfish

May I weigh in and smugly state that I DID declare that I loved Ellingson and that I thought we had to figure out a way to keep him.

( Of course, I am less smug than I could be because I haven't taken the time to search for that post among the last 1000 or 2 but it warms the cockles of my heart as well as annoys me that that - at least for once - management wasn't as brilliant as I am.   :) ;) )
Mark I completely agree... and at the time I thought the same... but the guy couldn't stay healthy long enough to stay on the field while with this team. By no means am I surprised that he has been this good for Ottawa. I am however surprised that he's been this healthy the entire time.

It's the constant comments about evaluating talent that are simply untrue. We didn't cut him... he was made a better offer in free agency after being constantly hurt in Hamilton.
Think you are correct. And I believe the cats also had to choose between him and Tasker at the time, which might have seemed like a rational decision. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark

By the time they made the decision this was true. But it came down to the way that the team played the ratio game that put them in this position.  So call it either way.   

ottawacat

it'll take a few more years before Ellingson becomes the most productive receiver the Cats ever let go free.  Tomorrow we'll see the holder of that title, to date -- Marquay McDaniel.  I don't recall the circumstances but he was just plain released in the summer of his 3rd season here.

pw13

Let’s just move forward and stop the Austin bashing!  Games were lost by the team not Austin.  Players were selected for the team by Austin, some remained and performed and some didn’t. Some were released since they didn't pan out in Hammer and they performed better  for other teams. But there are player signings that worked well for Cats that no one else picked up.  Eg Castilo!!!!! So what I’m saying is that it is very easy to look back and criticize. Not so easy making the “real time” decisions!  Some will work out and others won’t. That’s life. An example from Leaf-land. The Leafs had choice to draft McKenny (I think) or Bobby Orr and we all know how that worked out.  
Wow. I did not know that! ...and I'm not being sarcastic.
It's not true. Orr signed with Boston Bruins at the age of 13; he was never drafted.

Grover

Masoli, Simoni and Laurent from the ESKS
Fantuz from the Riders
Collaros from the Arblows
Bomben from the AL's
Kanneh from OTT

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Crash

it'll take a few more years before Ellingson becomes the most productive receiver the Cats ever let go free.  Tomorrow we'll see the holder of that title, to date -- Marquay McDaniel.  I don't recall the circumstances but he was just plain released in the summer of his 3rd season here.
at least we cant blame Austin for that one

blackandgld

but it does happen all the time good players getting cut and picked up by other teams.
I remember we got Steve Stapler and Sinkfield as Argos castoffs. It does work both ways.

safetyblitz

Tomorrow we'll see the holder of that title, to date -- Marquay McDaniel.  I don't recall the circumstances but he was just plain released in the summer of his 3rd season here.
McDaniel had some good games as a Ticat, but he also dropped a lot of balls. In the last regular season game of 2010, he was within reach of going over 1000 yards for the first time in his career, but dropped several balls and finished under 1000 yards.

Users Online

114 Guests, 15 Users (14 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
The Last Word, KevinRiley2, vjcos, Palmer, idealsheldon, nopa, bobo82, LeBird, FootbalYouBet, Lyle B. Style, EastVanMark, bowl450, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)