schmenger

It's certainly great publicity for the CFL.

But, Manziel's pro highlight real is not as glamorous as his college highlights.  He is not going to get any faster as he ages.  It will be interesting the first time he tries to turn outside under pressure to the wide side of the field and get chased down from behind by a defensive end.

Also, going to be sad to throw away a quarterback in Masoli who we inadvertently invested 5 years and accidently developed into a proven starter whom is pretty exciting in his own right with a pretty good college highlight real to boot and 5 real years of CFL experience.  IMO his best is yet to come.

I think you can kiss Jeremiah good bye now as I have never seen a love in for a guy more than Austin and Jones have for Manziel unless it is the world's greatest acting job - but I think it is a real man crush, if or rather when Johnny signs, Masoli is gone than you can roll the dice and hope it comes up Johnny Money!

Though going through the videos on Youtube and seeing his life style, I can't see this guy living in Hamilton for any length of time. I think this whole thing is a massive gamble that will get some big publicity in the first half of the season but lead to a 2-7 record in the first 9 games.
Where can Masoli go right now and be named undisputed starter with no competition? If he's as good as you think he is he shouldn't be worried about Johnny Manziel... He should relish the chance to send him to the bench.
Johnny football would be less competition than any other team in the league.

And before you say Montreal... That's a dumpster fire. He's not going to Montreal.
It is a dumpster fire, but sorry to tell you, so is Hamilton.
More wisdom from the cheap seats. Once an Alwets fan and now an Eskie fan. How long did it take you jump ship?

ExPat

If you read about his time at A&M and Cleveland, it was his dedication to the game that held him back, plain and simple everybody wanted Johnny to grow up but Johnny, and as a 23 year old kid myself, I completely understand how somebody could crack under the enormous pressure and want to slack off. Would I have done the same? All of us would like to think not but reality is majority of us wouldn't be able to handle all the fame either when you're so young and everybody hails you as king. 

It may be true that the majority of us would not handle the fame well and screw things up.  But you know what else we (as in random internet posters) all have in common?  We are not pro football players and never have been.  Therefore I don't think "we" are a good comparison group for an aspiring pro QB.

You know who is a good comparison group?  Successful pro QBs.  I think we should be looking at the Calvillos, Reillys and Rays of the world and asking how they've lived their lives.  Every one of them - and all pro QBs in fact - was a star in college.  A local hero, with opportunities to choose the right path or the wrong one.  I don't know everyone's bio, but I'm pretty sure that the guys who go become championship QBs do not generally have a history of completely botching their lives.  When people talk about them, they mention things like leadership and hard work and intelligence.  Things that can't be taught.  Raw talent is part of it, but certainly not sufficient for greatness. 

Grover

Ricky Ray was driving a Frito-Lay delivery truck when he got the call to be an extra arm 
at the San Francisco 49's camp which somehow, someway led to a chance to backup Jason Maas in Edmonton in 2002. 
You just don't know how things turn out until they actually get a chance to happen.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

2ez

If you read about his time at A&M and Cleveland, it was his dedication to the game that held him back, plain and simple everybody wanted Johnny to grow up but Johnny, and as a 23 year old kid myself, I completely understand how somebody could crack under the enormous pressure and want to slack off. Would I have done the same? All of us would like to think not but reality is majority of us wouldn't be able to handle all the fame either when you're so young and everybody hails you as king.

It may be true that the majority of us would not handle the fame well and screw things up.  But you know what else we (as in random internet posters) all have in common?  We are not pro football players and never have been.  Therefore I don't think "we" are a good comparison group for an aspiring pro QB.

You know who is a good comparison group?  Successful pro QBs.  I think we should be looking at the Calvillos, Reillys and Rays of the world and asking how they've lived their lives.  Every one of them - and all pro QBs in fact - was a star in college.  A local hero, with opportunities to choose the right path or the wrong one.  I don't know everyone's bio, but I'm pretty sure that the guys who go become championship QBs do not generally have a history of completely botching their lives.  When people talk about them, they mention things like leadership and hard work and intelligence.  Things that can't be taught.  Raw talent is part of it, but certainly not sufficient for greatness.
That's completely fair and I agree with what you said. My point was more so that if us as "internet posters" struggle with maturing and growing into adulthood, I can only imagine what it's like when you're put on the fast track with a million dollars in your pocket by the time you're 21. Manziel was also WAY more famous than any of the guys you listed above, which can be chalked up to the social media era it's just a different world now, and Johnny also did everything in his power to draw the spotlight in his direction, but it's tough to compare the pressure cooker between eras we really don't know all the antics guys were getting up to before the internet revealed a new window for fans to look through. 

Manziel is a unique case and I guess I can just relate having f***ed up a few big chances in my professional field and doing some dumb things I regret now which have set me back, but I like to believe in people - it's a blessing and a curse. Some decide to change, some decide to stay the same, and objectively I have no evidence to say Manziel isn't doing everything in his power to get back on the field, the only reason he'd want to play in the CFL is so he can change things around. I'm not excusing his past, but simply acknowledging that young people make mistakes and even if I'm not a pro football player, we're all human at the end of the day so I can still relate even if I'm not the benchmark for what Johnny should aspire too. 

You are right though, guys with a me-attitude and no work ethic don't generally succeed at quarterback when they need to lead a group of men who may be as old as 35 with three kids to feed at home. I'm not sure he's ready to do that or ever will be, but we're going to find out which is a huge step for Manziel considering not a single NFL team gave him a look among a group of quarterbacks right now that are horrid down south. 

For the record I was the one vote under 26 who didn't want Manziel. I believe he can change, but we are steering ourselves into a headache on and off the field whether he succeeds or not and at end of the day we'll probably end up searching for a new QB in 2 years while Masoli and Collaros are playing elsewhere - which would be a real shame. Montreal could use him a whole lot more than we could right now I just don't see the point when Masoli played so well the last two years. I feel like this is the ultimate kick to the teeth for him, I'd be talking to the Riders or Als if I was him. 

Crash

If you were Masoli, would you rather stay in a dumpster fire that reluctantly played you for 5 years even though you bailed them out every time when they were desperate and stay with them as they spend all their off field resources on signing Johnny Manziel after you lit up the last 10 games?  As well as them having a guy already tied up with starter dollars or battle Shiltz for the starting job and make Collaros money in Montreal... or even better, move closer to home in B.C... -where they remember him beating the Lions on the last play of the game? Mahalo!

All the players love him, the coach loves him,  but management gives him the Rodney Dangerfield treatment.  He has the personality, talent and confidence to outlast this circus but he may choose not to bother - what is the upside - ?

You are awesome Jeremiah, but Johnny has a great college reel (you did too but it's not in HD) and you had a great work out in Buffalo in a high school gym, blew us away, Shawn Burk was guarding Drew Allemang, and Johnny hit him everytime - it was amazing! Made Kent Austin look awful in the 3 on 3 scrimmage! Welcome to town Johnny, here's your $53,000 don't spend it all at Koi and Sizzle on the first night.

Hey Jeremiah, say hi to Coach Reinbold out there, maybe you will get some special teams help and good field position for once out there like Collaros used to when he lit it up here.

Happy New Year!  (Welcome back Kevin, you will look great backing up Manziel and Dan Lefevre)
Cant wait for your shocked routine when they announce Masoli's signing...

Killer91

If you were Masoli, would you rather stay in a dumpster fire that reluctantly played you for 5 years even though you bailed them out every time when they were desperate and stay with them as they spend all their off field resources on signing Johnny Manziel after you lit up the last 10 games?  As well as them having a guy already tied up with starter dollars or battle Shiltz for the starting job and make Collaros money in Montreal... or even better, move closer to home in B.C... -where they remember him beating the Lions on the last play of the game? Mahalo!

All the players love him, the coach loves him,  but management gives him the Rodney Dangerfield treatment.  He has the personality, talent and confidence to outlast this circus but he may choose not to bother - what is the upside - ?

You are awesome Jeremiah, but Johnny has a great college reel (you did too but it's not in HD) and you had a great work out in Buffalo in a high school gym, blew us away, Shawn Burk was guarding Drew Allemang, and Johnny hit him everytime - it was amazing! Made Kent Austin look awful in the 3 on 3 scrimmage! Welcome to town Johnny, here's your $53,000 don't spend it all at Koi and Sizzle on the first night.

Hey Jeremiah, say hi to Coach Reinbold out there, maybe you will get some special teams help and good field position for once out there like Collaros used to when he lit it up here.

Happy New Year!  (Welcome back Kevin, you will look great backing up Manziel and Dan Lefevre)
Let's hope they sign him and thanks for throwing in a derogatory comment, it adds nothing to the conversation as usual.  Why do you have to throw in a personal cheap shot at me?  I'm just having fun on here and certain guys continue to feel necessary to say things that are personal against the poster...it's just a conversation, if you don't agree, just state your opinion don't give me a rabbit punch in the nuts.  Come up with something more clever than that for once.

ExPat

Let's hope they sign him and thanks for throwing in a derogatory comment, it adds to the conversation as usual.
Out of curiosity, was your characterization of the Buffalo workout intended to make a positive contribution to the conversation?  Perhaps cynicism is a right reserved for the few?

Killer91

Let's hope they sign him and thanks for throwing in a derogatory comment, it adds to the conversation as usual.
Out of curiosity, was your characterization of the Buffalo workout intended to make a positive contribution to the conversation?  Perhaps cynicism is a right reserved for the few?
Dude, it was a joke...funny, ha, ha, they are swooning all over the guy over 1 work out in Buffalo..it's ok to have some fun after what they put us through last year, was paying $1200 for my seasons and watching last year in my best interest- I'm entitled to criticize in a fun and sarcastic manner, I am not personally attacking you or anyone other than the team, and they are fair game, you are actually making derogatory comments to me right now - this is about the Tiger Cats and our opinions on what they are doing...don't take it too serious...I'm just a fan like everyone else - we'll all be ok whatever happens.  Just don't take swipes at me because I like Masoli.

Crash

Let's hope they sign him and thanks for throwing in a derogatory comment, it adds nothing to the conversation as usual.  Why do you have to throw in a personal cheap shot at me?  I'm just having fun on here and certain guys continue to feel necessary to say things that are personal against the poster...it's just a conversation, if you don't agree, just state your opinion don't give me a rabbit punch in the nuts.  Come up with something more clever than that for once.
Sorry if you see that as derogatory... You've said multiple times that you don't think Masoli is coming back... Yet you're his biggest fan.

So naturally when he signs (and lets be honest the majority of people here believe he's going to sign before he sees free agency) naturally you're going to say something along the lines of:

"wow.... I never thought he would want to come back here after the way he's been cast aside for Johnny football" 

In all honesty I think you know he's likely coming back... There's even the possibility he's already been signed. 

Slomojo2005

Let's hope they sign him and thanks for throwing in a derogatory comment, it adds nothing to the conversation as usual.  Why do you have to throw in a personal cheap shot at me?  I'm just having fun on here and certain guys continue to feel necessary to say things that are personal against the poster...it's just a conversation, if you don't agree, just state your opinion don't give me a rabbit punch in the nuts.  Come up with something more clever than that for once.
Sorry if you see that as derogatory... You've said multiple times that you don't think Masoli is coming back... Yet you're his biggest fan.

So naturally when he signs (and lets be honest the majority of people here believe he's going to sign before he sees free agency) naturally you're going to say something along the lines of:

"wow.... I never thought he would want to come back here after the way he's been cast aside for Johnny football"

In all honesty I think you know he's likely coming back... There's even the possibility he's already been signed.
 I am sure that JMasoli has been talked to by team and he is fully aware of his place on this team.  The Starting QB !  ( I dont agree and think Zack should be there but hey, the cards have been laid). Manziel is coming in as the next but will have to go through the trenches and learn CDN game.  Look at it this way, a coach like Jones comes into the CFL and for some reason, inspires a turn around mid season 2017. He screwed up a few basic CFL calls that cost team a couple of games and ultimately a playoff spot.  Manziel is going to take even more time to learn game. So Masoli has absolutely no reason to worry for next year and possibly the following. 

Onemoredork

Can I still hope Collaros restructures and stays?

Crash

Im still hoping Matt Dunigan comes back from that last concussion....

Onemoredork

Im still hoping Matt Dunigan comes back from that last concussion....
And corn on the cob in the concessions.

hendy77

They have 2 quality guys here already zero baggage and have played the game at high level.  They will most likely lose both for nothing in the end for a guy with character issues and a huge question mark if he can play the game at the pro level.

I really question this teams thinking
They have ONE guy with zero baggage.

Masoli has been arrested and entered guilty pleas in two different matters. But, feel free to turn a blind eye to fit your agenda.
Legs Feed the Wolf!

Crash

They have 2 quality guys here already zero baggage and have played the game at high level.  They will most likely lose both for nothing in the end for a guy with character issues and a huge question mark if he can play the game at the pro level.

I really question this teams thinking
They have ONE guy with zero baggage.

Masoli has been arrested and entered guilty pleas in two different matters. But, feel free to turn a blind eye to fit your agenda.
Burglary and possession... Funny the double standard surrounding charges. Im willing to bet less than 5% of people that took such a high ground on Briles and now Manziel know about these charges.

Users Online

70 Guests, 10 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, Niagara Als, SeaFiddle, of course, MrLucky, Mightygoose, Lennywasout, letsgoticats, cividan, RedandWhite, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 141. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)