Grover

Does two year contract still mean after one year he is free to try out in the NFL ,but if he returns we have his rights for the second year before he is then a free agent?

Johnny will be under contract to the TiCats for 2 years(1+1 club option).
It is a NFL rule not CFL rule that NFL teams cannot sign players under a CFL contract.
Johnny would have to be released from his CFL contract to sign a NFL contract.
I believe that CFL players can tryout for the NFL in the CFL off season for a short period of time but would need to be released from their CFL contract to sign in the NFL

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Beam reach

Thanks for that explanation Grover.
  I do recall not too long ago when an American signing a two year contract was able to try the NFL after the first year. Glad things have improved contract wise....

cats99

Does two year contract still mean after one year he is free to try out in the NFL ,but if he returns we have his rights for the second year before he is then a free agent?

It is a NFL rule not CFL rule that NFL teams cannot sign players under a CFL contract.
I believe that CFL players can tryout for the NFL in the CFL off season for a short period of time but would need to be released from their CFL contract to sign in the NFL
Remember that rule with Chris Williams ?Didn’t that open a can of worms was it not a similar scenario?!
Germany WC RUSSIA
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️+⭐️2018
🇩🇪

Grover

Remember that rule with Chris Williams ?Didn’t that open a can of worms was it not a similar scenario?!
Chris Williams agent at the time of signing his original contract was not registered with the CFL, 
He had a loophole and used it to void his contract. 
The TiCats released him instead of fighting it in court.

Bowery boy

This is a tremendous opportunity to show that Hamilton has the capability of being both a Professional Football operation and the City is a player on a bigger stage!
Cut to the chase...sign Manziel...and start selling Tickets, and Merch!!
He will either succeed and stay or succeed and leave after 1 year ...SO WHAT!!!
This is a win for Fans.... no need to beat up the pros and cons ...that should have been done over the past 2 years!!
You had No problem bringing in a coach that needed rehabilitating..... this is football not Hollywood!!
Stop acting and start doing!!   
There is a month of blather down south that will pump this story for free!!!!!!

Crash

This is a tremendous opportunity to show that Hamilton has the capability of being both a Professional Football operation and the City is a player on a bigger stage!
This is a win for Fans.... no need to beat up the pros and cons ...that should have been done over the past 2 years!!
You had No problem bringing in a coach that needed rehabilitating..... this is football not Hollywood!!

You mean 2 years... welcome to the forum.

safetyblitz

Chris Williams agent at the time of signing his original contract was not registered with the CFL,
He had a loophole and used it to void his contract.
The TiCats released him instead of fighting it in court.
It wasn't just about the non-registered agent. Among other things, when the Ticats purportedly exercised the team option on Williams' contract, apparently they didn't used the exact language layed out in the CBA for doing so. And Williams claimed Hamilton hadn't offered him the choice to take a 1+1 deal when he first signed rather than a longer deal, which the CBA apparently required teams to do.

More details in the article below, including quotes from the judicial review.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ontario-superior-court-deems-ticats-chris-williams-free-agent-1.1339701

blackandgld

This is a tremendous opportunity to show that Hamilton has the capability of being both a Professional Football operation and the City is a player on a bigger stage!
Yes, welcome to the forum and The Cats did their part already. 
Extended the contract. 
Ball is in Johnny's camp now. All the team can do is sit back and wait to see if he will sign on the dotted.
Thinking strategically both The Ticats and Manziel would like to maximize the publicity for this signing. Right now is a very busy and exciting time in the NFL and this story would be brushed away in one day. Perhaps waiting until the 2 week window between conference finals and the Super Bowl would be a good time. Or the week after the Super Bowl. Whenever it gets signed it will be strategic in its timing i am certain!

Grover

He is working out in California.
This is a good thing

letsgoticats

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/18/johnny-manziel-raps-along-noted-domestic-abuser-chris-brown-instagram/

nuff said!  :o
Really grasping at straws over there at 3downnation.  Would they have posted the same story if he was singing along to The Beatles?  

"Johnny Manziel sings along with noted domestic abuser John Lennon on Instagram"

I'm not a huge fan of Manziel, but they're trying really hard to find the negative story (like always).  

Grover

When I see a pic sent from Johnny that he is going to a gym to start getting into shape for a upcoming season, I see some hope.
Then,
10 days later his next pic I see a 24 yr old in the back of a limo at 3am acting like a spoiled 14 year old silver spoon punkazz kid.
I wonder what his agent thinks of this when he's asking the TiCats to pay this immature kid $500K.

Get Kavis on the phone, quick

letsgoticats

When I see a pic sent from Johnny that he is going to a gym to start getting into shape for a upcoming season, I see some hope.
Then,
10 days later his next pic I see a 24 yr old in the back of a limo at 3am acting like a spoiled 14 year old silver spoon punkazz kid.
I wonder what his agent thinks of this when he's asking the TiCats to pay this immature kid $500K.

Get Kavis on the phone, quick
I'm not a huge Johnny Football fan, but attacking him for this stuff is a little ridiculous.  So what he was in "what appears to be" a limo, listening to music that a bunch of old guys don't like.  He didn't appear to be doing anything inappropriate, who cares.  

of course

Maybe he is happily celebrating because he knows he is close to signing with us.

Grover

Maybe he is happily celebrating because he knows he is close to signing with us.
He's got talent
He can rap our National Anthem on Canada Day when the Big Flag is on the field.  :-[

WHEN YOU START TO WONDER WHEN YOU CAN TRUST SOMEONE OR NOT
THAT IS WHEN YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU DON'T!

He hasn't changed a bit, In his eyes, Its all about Johnny

He expects to be the highest paid player on the team, and then puts crap out like that.
I am seeing the same guy that got himself kicked out of the NFL,
Not the player that was snowing the Commish into believing his crap that he has changed.
#ComebackSZN
#MoneySZN

#LOCKERROOM CANCER

Users Online

94 Guests, 20 Users (14 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
okie, Mark, Balticfox, KevinRiley2, letsgoticats, BillyDee87, tcmike, JoeyT, FormerlyTurkish, Clawed2bitz, jim43bob, schmenger, OskeeweeneeVI, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Grover, sully, TeddyFay, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 188. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)