Onemoredork

Your move, June Jones.

Grover

I would hope as part of his contract, if he is signed, that there is an incentive bonus to pass the physical at training camp because the pics posted earlier from 7 weeks ago showed he was not in  any shape to play pro ball.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

2ez

I haven't said anything on this topic, and that's mostly cus it's felt inevitable after going through all the hoops to get him eligible, after working him out last year, and June Jones clearly loves the guy and thinks VERY highly of him lol his comment was downright ignorant, but I can't lie I get where he was coming from.

Watch these highlights and tell me he's not one of the most dynamic quarterbacks you've ever seen at any level? 

https://youtu.be/iGnSOJswnK8

Whether you like him or not is a totally different story, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think he is one of the greatest college players to ever live.

The issue I have is first and foremost, I like Masoli, I like that he's dedicated himself to the city, and I like that he's shown consistent improvement every single time he had to take over for Zach. I also love Zach, but unfortunately his time has come to an end I think. I believe he will be a valuable piece for a winning team going forward, but he won't be wearing black and gold, which is something all of us will have to come to terms with and it's not easy because Zach was our beacon of hope just two years ago. I wish the story had a happy ending, but this is sports and I think both Zach and the Cats are in a good position to have a clean breakup and both find immediate success. 

I'm a long term guy and that's how anybody running a franchise should be, so from the get go I thought this Manziel stuff was a headache that's going to get in the way of Masoli taking over as the main man in town. Masoli has more than proven to me that he can lead this team to a Grey Cup if given the reins under Jones, and realistically he could end up being the starter here for the next 5-7 years with any stroke of luck.

BUT, I don't think that's the route they're going. They could be trying to boost Manziel to bait another team into trading for his rights, which would be great if they did, but I just don't think that's likely at this point after all the paper work they've gone through to get Manziel eligible. I believe they wanted to sign him last year but the league blocked it, some say we chose not to sign him but that's not how I read into the situation. I think Ambrosie was worried about 1) public image especially after the Art Briles incident and 2) I think they wanted to make sure Manziel was clear of any charges so he could get over the border, which he was like a month ago ... 3) I'm sure they also wanted to make sure Johnny was serious but that was far behind the other two reasons for their delay 

So now is where I gotta deal with the reality of Johnny Football in Hamilton. There's positives, and there's some huge negatives. Obviously first off you wanna just make sure he has his head on straight, isn't obsessing about the limelight and partying, which by all accounts he has been. Only time I see Johnny is during press releases like this one and that one TMZ creepshot on the beach which, well it's TMZ they're a horrible company I could care less what they do. If you read about his time at A&M and Cleveland, it was his dedication to the game that held him back, plain and simple everybody wanted Johnny to grow up but Johnny, and as a 23 year old kid myself, I completely understand how somebody could crack under the enormous pressure and want to slack off. Would I have done the same? All of us would like to think not but reality is majority of us wouldn't be able to handle all the fame either when you're so young and everybody hails you as king. 

If he reverts back to that form in Canada, he's a goner by Labour Day. He needs to take this chance seriously or he will forever be known as a "what if" in pro football circles. 

Now if he comes out and plays with that competitive edge that made him so great in college and truly dedicates himself to the team, I see no reason why Johnny can't tear it up under June Jones. Masoli is great and I love his skill set, but Manziel is simply a better version when he's on his game, and the wide open field up here would provide a pretty canvas for him to work his magic. 

Which brings us to the final issue, because let's say Johnny Football does land in Hamilton, and let's say he is successful, maybe a home playoff date and a nice stay line...Well then it's bye bye Johnny Football because he'll be flying south to play in the NFL if he can prove he's prepared to be a mature professional athlete that a franchise can depend on. 

Which is why I say just stick with Masoli and let's see where he can lead this franchise in the long term. Maybe...just maybe we sign Manziel and win a Grey Cup, but those odds are astronomically low when you assess the history of situations similar to this one, and also factor in all of Manziels baggage that could come to fruition once again in Canada. 

Doesn't seem like the risk is worth the reward of sending Johnny back to the NFL and leaving us in search of another quarterback in a couple seasons, but we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

If you made it this far I commend you, I feel better now that I've got this off my chest lol

Habsfan

The problem I have signing Johnny Football is that chances are they will be dumping 2 qb’s that have proven at some point they can play at a high level in the CFL.  So far Johnny has proven he can’t play at the pro level.  His body of work has been awful in the NFL up to this point.  

This a risky decision for a team that has proven it doesn’t make the best decisions 

FenderGuy69

I won't quote the whole post ... but tip of my hat to @2EZ ... Excellently crafted & carefully expressed post! Well done sir!

Dr.Whiskey

Ok so I never watched Manziel in college and didn't really watch him in Cleveland so all I'm goin on is the highlight videos, and they scare me a bit. Anyone that knows.. can he throw a football or be a QB cause 90% of his highlight videos are him running(very well mind you) or escaping a bunch of people and throwing a five yard pass or something that gets taken all the way. It doesn't seem like impressive QB play exactly. 

of course

In that YouTube highlight reel, Manziel looks like Michael Vick, but 10 times faster and more elusive.

Imagine him playing on a wider CFL field?

Sign him.

Aerial

Is the guy clean?  I have my doubts about his personal struggles and that these demons he has have been dealt with enough to be a proven pro football athlete.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Grover

The former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback, who turned 25 this month,told ESPN in January that he’s achieved sobriety on his own and is determined to resume his career.
“I refuse to let my entire life of sports from the age of four be squandered by partying,” Manziel said in a message sent Friday to ESPN’s Ed Werder. “I just got sick of it. One day I didn’t like what I saw in the mirror and realized I could really help people in the position I’m in.

“I love sports, I love football and when you take something away from yourself you realize it the hard way. The happiness from doing it sober has been astronomical. Beyond my wildest imagination and once that continued other good things started happening in my life and it just clicked.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/28/johnny-manziel-cfl-comeback-hamilton-tiger-cats?CMP=share_btn_tw

DavidC

I just don't get why this team is fixated on bringing in this loser. First Briles, now this guy? Are there seriously no better character guys available?
“It’s an unscrupulous intellect that doesn’t pay reverence to antiquity.” Erasmus

Crash

Your move, June Jones.
Send an email to the players to get their thoughts?

smogmonster

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's  Johnny!
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Grover

The league will look stupid if Johnny comes to a CFL camp and gets "hurt" like Vince Young did.  All this work for a guy that may not want to be here.
David William Naylor‏Verified account 
@TSNDaveNaylor
 5m5 minutes ago
As for comparisons between Johnny Manziel and the Vince Young experiment of last spring, Young was 34 and 6 years removed from playing a down in the NFL. Manziel just turned 25 and is two years removed. #CFL

Crash

The league will look stupid if Johnny comes to a CFL camp and gets "hurt" like Vince Young did.  All this work for a guy that may not want to be here.
David William Naylor‏Verified account
@TSNDaveNaylor

5m5 minutes ago
As for comparisons between Johnny Manziel and the Vince Young experiment of last spring, Young was 34 and 6 years removed from playing a down in the NFL. Manziel just turned 25 and is two years removed. #CFL
Only comparison I'm making is if his heart isn't in it they'll look stupid for spending this much time making up their mind.

Onemoredork

Irony is the more progress he makes, if any, the more circus-y its going to get. A rebuilding team doesnt need distractions. Big test for Jones who has to handle and manage it all

Users Online

95 Guests, 12 Users (18 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lyle B. Style, tcmike, mycko75, Retro Rider, RedandWhite, Balticfox, ExPat, mike619, sully, TravelPat1, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 134. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)