longtimetcfan

Not to rehash the whole debate, the west harbour location has many of the same so-called short comings as the present THF site. Limited parking and restricted access within a residential neighbourhood. West harbour may even be worse re traffic as the only major roads in/out are Bay St and perhaps Barton to Queen. Barton east of Bay is one lane each way to James. Northern routes to Burlington go thru tight residential areas. Of 25,000 fans, how many would use the supposed “plus” of the GO station?

The present Ivor Wynne site was the only option given the City’s obstinate single-minded focus on west harbour and nothing else.
How would you compare the two districts?
I think the west harbour has the advantage of nearby restaurants, if that is deemed important, but I believe the present THF site has a slight advantage re accessibility/coming and going. 

I’ve never had a problem leaving the THF area after a crowd of 20,000+ but I have experienced trying to leave the Bayfront Park area after a July 1st fireworks display and it’s quite congested and time consuming “fighting” a crowd well less the number  at a TiCat game.

DisplacedCatsFan

I don't think that's true.  The city wasn't delayed in knocking down all those buildings, they could have started the remediation work which would have been much less extensive than what's required for residential development.  The only group that would have fought the stadium was North End Neighbours.  They are known for taking everything to the OMB (which usually favours the developers) but they may have backed down had the City and the Ticats been in agreement and the rest of the city behind the project.  At worst it would have been a year or so delay, all the while remediation and design work continues.
The remediation would probably not be that quick or easy. Much of the land not residential was highly industrial so highly polluted. Besides an unknown time factor was the unknown cost of remediation. Estimates at the time ranged from a low of $3 million to somewhere over $30 million!, money not included in the $145 million stadium budget.

Plus IMO, one of the other sites rejected (deliberately not even studied) by the city would have been better and preferable to the west harbour site... a “discussion” and solution long past.
You are correct it's not just about the remediation but what about the fact there would be one single lane road going in there,  no parking,  no bus route set up.   I assume people would walk from the downtown?  
The IWS site was already zoned for a stadium,  drainage,  electrical and transportation route already established and the quickest site to get built before they lost the Pan Am funding.
I'm sure that if the city had $200 Million or so kicking around they could have taken their time and built eventually built somewhere else.
How far do people walk to parking now?
For me, I find a parking spot on a lawn across the road from the stadium. Seriously, I took a picture of my car from my seat...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Obrigardo

I don't know if there's a rule on this forum against reinvigorating the stadium debate but since it's already been brought up, all this would have been avoided if the Ticats had accepted the beautiful new waterfront stadium that was originally planned.  The problems at THF are due to the construction being rushed on a design that was half-ass in the first place.  Like seriously how did they think they would come out better with THF?  We could be preparing for a Grey Cup right now if they had just stuck with the plan.
It was a once in a 100 yr chance and it was blown  by the ticats. Opportunity lost.having said that aren't you enjoying the new stadium district.what a great place for an evening out!
How is it the Cats fault our council was totally myopic at the start of the process? The Mayor was totally locked into the west harbour without all the facts in front of him.
Given the constraints of money, what would you have done differently.  Great to criticize without giving a constructive response.  Sarcasm will only get you so far.
Do you have seasons tickets? Do you stay away because you can’t go out for a meal within walking distance of the stadium?
Most people I see at games seem to be having a good time...not all negative as you seem to espouse.

I think you should run for council and fix things in the future.  👍

Just my humble opinion of your post😀
I never said it was all negative those are your words ,but it could have been so positive.You need to read the guidelines and be nicer

Lennywasout

I don't know if there's a rule on this forum against reinvigorating the stadium debate but since it's already been brought up, all this would have been avoided if the Ticats had accepted the beautiful new waterfront stadium that was originally planned.  The problems at THF are due to the construction being rushed on a design that was half-ass in the first place.  Like seriously how did they think they would come out better with THF?  We could be preparing for a Grey Cup right now if they had just stuck with the plan.
It was a once in a 100 yr chance and it was blown  by the ticats. Opportunity lost.having said that aren't you enjoying the new stadium district.what a great place for an evening out!
How is it the Cats fault our council was totally myopic at the start of the process? The Mayor was totally locked into the west harbour without all the facts in front of him.
Given the constraints of money, what would you have done differently.  Great to criticize without giving a constructive response.  Sarcasm will only get you so far.
Do you have seasons tickets? Do you stay away because you can’t go out for a meal within walking distance of the stadium?
Most people I see at games seem to be having a good time...not all negative as you seem to espouse.

I never said it was all negative those are your words ,but it could have been so positive.You need to read the guidelines and be nicer
Please point out where I broke guideline rules. I think I’m allowed to respond to a post that is critical with no factual backup to said criticism.  All I have done is ask for facts to back up a statement openly posted for all to read.
If you truly believe I’ve crossed the line, please feel free to report my post to the mods and highlight where a rule was broken.  Also, please copy me as well so I can understand where you believe I’ve broken a rule.  I can then converse directly with the mods to resolve this issue if they deem I’ve broken the guideline rules. 
Thank you 

Obrigardo

Please point out where I broke guideline rules. I think I’m allowed to respond to a post that is critical with no factual backup to said criticism.  All I have done is ask for facts to back up a statement openly posted for all to read.
If you truly believe I’ve crossed the line, please feel free to report my post to the mods and highlight where a rule was broken.  Also, please copy me as well so I can understand where you believe I’ve broken a rule.  I can then converse directly with the mods to resolve this issue if they deem I’ve broken the guideline rules.
Thank you
Because there is no stadium district the people who stay up past 10 on a Saturday night have to cab it to an entertainment district to have drinks and some food maybe watch a late game.they then need a second cab to get home. That's just the facts maam

Grover

And now it is time for the City to clean up and invest in that area of the City that Council has neglected for decades.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Obrigardo

Ans now it is time for the City to clean up and invest in that area of the City that Council has neglected for decades.
I see that Stinson has a condo project planned for the area. I'm afraid it will take decades to renew that street

Lennywasout

Thank you
Because there is no stadium district the people who stay up past 10 on a Saturday night have to cab it to an entertainment district to have drinks and some food maybe watch a late game.they then need a second cab to get home. That's just the facts maam
The fact is , that if you can afford to go out drinking @$10 per drink plus food you can certainly afford to get two cabs especially if you’re sharing.  The cab/Uber is likely the cheapest part of the night out.  
Your argument for not going to games or the location of THF does make sense.

Obrigardo

Thank you
The fact is , that if you can afford to go out drinking @$10 per drink plus food you can certainly afford to get two cabs especially if you’re sharing.  The cab/Uber is likely the cheapest part of the night out.  
Thank you

Lennywasout

My bad....should have re read my post🤭

Should have said “DOESN’T make sense.  

Had to reread the post when you said Thank You...didn’t make sense you’d agree with anything I posted..lol

You can take back your thank you now😀

FormerlyTurkish

imo i am against the city spending any more tax dollars to prop up this mess.  Stadium and school money have failed to attract investment.  I want my ward 7 tax dollars to stay in ward 7 for a change.

BillyDee87

Or, I vote that you get to keep your tax dollars in your pocket to spend where you see fit.  Isn't that better than sending it to city hall to be spent on things you wouldn't normally spend on or to be wasted?  It's your money, you earned it and you should keep it.
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

Habsfan

Thank you
Thank you
It doesn't matter to me if you can afford it or not.  It is the convenience factor that makes it easier to stay home or go to different sporting events that fit in with a night/day out.  I much prefer now to go to a Hamilton Bulldogs game as I can park my car or have my wife drop me off. Let alone a ticket being much cheaper. Walk over to James st for dinner/lunch before the game walk back to the rink and then after walk over to Augusta st for a pint or two before heading home.  The location of THF sucks if you are wanting to make an easy no hassle event out of it.  There is so much entertainment dollars to be spent in the GTA.  

Obrigardo

That was exactly my point.it is not about the money its the atmosphere of the district.it doesn't stop me from going to every game . It  just could have been so much better.lenny,I'm never taking down the thank you post I've already printed and framed it

Lennywasout

That was exactly my point.it is not about the money its the atmosphere of the district.it doesn't stop me from going to every game . It  just could have been so much better.lenny,I'm never taking down the thank you post I've already printed and framed it
You make me laugh!!👍

Users Online

78 Guests, 5 Users (21 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lennywasout, ticats28, Mightygoose, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (17)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)