Lennywasout

Updated article by CBC news concerning THF. Why is it taking so long to resolve not only deficiencies but the law suits.  We’ll never get a Grey Cup in my lifetime at this rate.  Very disappointing.  Plus they can give me the $60K to book events at THF.  THIS COUNCIL NEEDS TO GO!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/stadium-not-finished-1.4551357

letsgoticats

Updated article by CBC news concerning THF. Why is it taking so long to resolve not only deficiencies but the law suits.  We’ll never get a Grey Cup in my lifetime at this rate.  Very disappointing.  Plus they can give me the $60K to book events at THF.  THIS COUNCIL NEEDS TO GO!!

I'm with the Councillor on the booking issue.  Why would should the city pay an outside company to book events?  Let city employees deal with booking local events, while the Ticats fill their four non-football events a year.  

Evil Doctor

I'm sorry, what do you expect the city to do? Not sue the contractors for failing to fix the stadium deficiencies?

oo DAWG oo

And as many times as people on this forum spit out "State-of-the-art"
lol

Be wary of the cheapest bid..

But really just enjoy your football and whatever events they hold there I wouldn't concern myself with lawyers having their own fun 

my home team

And as many times as people on this forum spit out "State-of-the-art"
lol

Be wary of the cheapest bid..

But really just enjoy your football and whatever events they hold there I wouldn't concern myself with lawyers having their own fun
Governments at almost all levels are guilty of only looking at the price tag.

What needs to a factor is the reputation of the company involved and who is providing the best VALUE for the money paid....

my home team

I'm sorry, what do you expect the city to do? Not sue the contractors for failing to fix the stadium deficiencies?
If the contractor and the project manager did NOT deliver on what was promised and paid for, then the city has a responsibility to the taxpayers to require action on the deficiencies noted.

If the contractor is not held accountable, then property owners in the region (or the province) will be footing the bill.

I say good on the city for taking up the cause.

Lennywasout

I am not saying they should not go after the contractor. I’m saying 4 years is way too long to get this resolved.  How long can law suits take to go through our courts or have a negotiated settlement?  
I emailed Ferguson and asked about issues resolving this and all I got back was “you wouldn’t believe how much the Cats are suing us for!”  
So as a taxpayer, I’d like to know what the details of each law suit are. The entire 3 ring circus involved.  Who is suing who for how much and why?  Where in the long, long process are we?  The longer it goes, the more we make lawyers rich.
We are missing an opportunity of million of dollars in economic benefits by hosting a Grey Cup. 

BillyDee87

I'm with the Councillor on the booking issue.  Why would should the city pay an outside company to book events?  Let city employees deal with booking local events, while the Ticats fill their four non-football events a year.  
Well, if only for the advantage of the efficiencies of an outside market driven solution over a further bloated municipal government bureaucracy (hey, we need some help with this... I know, MORE GOVERNMENT!!).  The taxpayer of Hamilton already pays too much to support bloat and waste by city counsel.  I'm not for adding to that in any way.

It's time to change the culture in Canada.  Our first reply to an issue should NOT be "why isn't the government doing something?"
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

Iconic SR

Lawyers are a big part of the problem IMO. It’s in their best interest to keep both parties agitated and in disagreement. Had a binding mediation process been mandated first, this likely would be over and the building repairs completed. Now if the city paid the final bills and signed releases without proper holdbacks and inspections, that’s negligence on their part. 

safetyblitz

Saskatchewan/Regina doesn't appear to be having the kind of nightmare Hamilton is.

Are contractors in Saskatchewan simply less crooked than contractors in Ontario?

my home team

I'm with the Councillor on the booking issue.  Why would should the city pay an outside company to book events? Let city employees deal with booking local events, while the Ticats fill their four non-football events a year.  
Well, if only for the advantage of the efficiencies of an outside market driven solution over a further bloated municipal government bureaucracy (hey, we need some help with this... I know, MORE GOVERNMENT!!).  The taxpayer of Hamilton already pays too much to support bloat and waste by city counsel.  I'm not for adding to that in any way.

It's time to change the culture in Canada.  Our first reply to an issue should NOT be "why isn't the government doing something?"
And how do we know that the company contracted to do this is not going to overbill and/or deliver what they promised??

Don't forget it was a private business that was contracted to build the stadium...and look how that turned out....

Lennywasout

If you read this 55 page report,(page 11 is about the bundling of projects) the Auditor General is basically blaming Infrastructure Ontario for bundling construction projects to attract larger international construction companies. Worked well didn’t it?
IO is an ONTARIO GOVERNMENT CREATION.  The same people who are bringing us a 1 BILLION DOLLAR LRT.   Anyone else worried about these jokers leading this parade?

http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/specialreports/specialreports/2015panam_june2016_en.pdf

my home team

If you read this 55 page report,(page 11 is about the bundling of projects) the Auditor General is basically blaming Infrastructure Ontario for bundling construction projects to attract larger international construction companies. Worked well didn’t it?
IO is an ONTARIO GOVERNMENT CREATION.  The same people who are bringing us a 1 BILLION DOLLAR LRT.   Anyone else worried about these jokers leading this parade?

http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/specialreports/specialreports/2015panam_june2016_en.pdf
I understand that Infrastructure Ontario is a provincial government agency. But the builder themselves, for example, placed the speakers without adequate supports and there were other situations that demonstrated poor workmanship.

Lennywasout

I understand that Infrastructure Ontario is a provincial government agency. But the builder themselves, for example, placed the speakers without adequate supports and there were other situations that demonstrated poor workmanship.
I understand your opinion but the overall project was owned by IO and therefore bears responsibility to deal with all the contractors involved.  Hamilton needs to use holdbacks to fix what’s wrong (which they are doing slowly) until holdbacks run out. 
The whole idea of IO is a government blunder. Every project they’ve been involved with is grossly over budget and behind schedule.....why do we (they....the Liberals) continue down this path.  Insanity...doing the same thing expecting different results.

BillyDee87

I'm with the Councillor on the booking issue.  Why would should the city pay an outside company to book events? Let city employees deal with booking local events, while the Ticats fill their four non-football events a year.  
Well, if only for the advantage of the efficiencies of an outside market driven solution over a further bloated municipal government bureaucracy (hey, we need some help with this... I know, MORE GOVERNMENT!!).  The taxpayer of Hamilton already pays too much to support bloat and waste by city counsel.  I'm not for adding to that in any way.

It's time to change the culture in Canada.  Our first reply to an issue should NOT be "why isn't the government doing something?"
And how do we know that the company contracted to do this is not going to overbill and/or deliver what they promised??

Don't forget it was a private business that was contracted to build the stadium...and look how that turned out....
To your first point - We don't.  But if they fail, we have a market full of options that will replace the poor service with good service.  What is the option if the government bureaucracy fails?  More government?  And if so, at what cost and who pays?  The taxpayer.  Twice.  Once for the initial service and again for the remedy/repair.  Add to that, a failure of the market based service provider allows the buyer of the service to sue for compensation (see below).

And to your second point - because there was a contract negotiated, the poorly behaving party will be penalized, to the advantage of the city, for that poor behaviour/performance.  If the government had built the stadium and failed to perform, who would they have sued?  Themselves? And if they did fail, who would have paid?  Oh yeah, the taxpayer. Again.

Users Online

102 Guests, 18 Users (11 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Balticfox, Grover, ExPat, KevinRiley2, schmenger, popo, Holy Mackinaw, pikk, letsgoticats, MadJack, Mightygoose, Evil Doctor, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 147. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)