canadianfootballfan

The late 80's group of Champion, Winfield, and Dipietro was the best IMO.

safetyblitz

The late 80's group of Champion, Winfield, and Dipietro was the best IMO.
In '87 and '88, you had those three, plus Steve Stapler (who actually led the team in rec yards in '87, Winfield's rookie season). Champion's '87 and '88 seasons were both shortened by NFL tryouts, but he was still a major contributor in '87 (I think maybe he had a hamstring issue after rejoining the team in the second half of 1988?).

And of course Champion, DiPietro and Stapler were the leading receivers on the '86 team that went on to win the Grey Cup, though that team's offense tends to get overshadowed by the defense.

EastVanMark

ahh, Winfield, my second all time favorite receiver in the league.  Champion and Stabler, excellent.  DiPietro  a very good 4th.  I enjoyed cheering for the ticats the most when they played.
Champion and Winfield on the same field at the same time is tough to beat. Throw in former all time reception leader DiPietro and you’ve got something REAL special 

bobo82

1987 Ti-Cat Receiving Stats : Absolutely through the roof when you consider that Champion and Winfield both missed 7 gms a piece and DiPietro also missed 6 gms on the season . 

S.Stapler..............18 gp.......85 rec ......1516 yds........17.8 yds avg.........13 tds
T.Champion..........11 gp.......53 rec........851 yds.........16.1 yds avg..........6 tds
E.Winfield.............11 gp.......38 rec........746 yds.........19.6 yds avg..........2 tds
R.DiPietro.............12 gp.......54 rec........654 yds.........12.1 yds avg..........4 tds

J.Chapdelaine.......13 gp.......37 rec........438 yds.........11.8 yds avg...........1 td
W.Lee...................18 gp.......46 rec........564 yds.........12.3 yds avg...........2 tds
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

CatsFaninOttawa

ahh, Winfield, my second all time favorite receiver in the league.  Champion and Stabler, excellent.  DiPietro  a very good 4th.  I enjoyed cheering for the ticats the most when they played.
Champion and Winfield on the same field at the same time is tough to beat. Throw in former all time reception leader DiPietro and you’ve got something REAL special
Reminds me of the old joke:

Who's the best defensive pairing ever in the NHL?
Bobby Orr and whoever the shmuck on the other side was.

Of course, 1988, the other "shmucks" in our case included Stapler and DiPietro. Pretty good receiving core.

Still not sure, though, if they were better than Bruce, Mann, McDaniel, Stala, Williams. Anyone got a coin?

ExPat

Still not sure, though, if they were better than Bruce, Mann, McDaniel, Stala, Williams. Anyone got a coin?
The only year all those guys were on the team was 2011.  Bruce and McDaniel combined for exactly 164 yards receiving with the Cats that year.  Mann added another 346 yards.  All three did not finish the season with the team, so I would find it hard to make a "best ever" case for the group, even if you throw in Bakari Grant, who also played that season.  It would have to be based entirely on what they did in other seasons, and mostly for other teams.

Even Stala had begun his decline (the first of five consecutive seasons in which his production was lower than the year before), leaving only Williams, as a star rookie, arguably playing anywhere close to his peak level.

CatsFaninOttawa

The only year all those guys were on the team was 2011.  Bruce and McDaniel combined for exactly 164 yards receiving with the Cats that year.  Mann added another 346 yards.  All three did not finish the season with the team, so I would find it hard to make a "best ever" case for the group, even if you throw in Bakari Grant, who also played that season.  It would have to be based entirely on what they did in other seasons, and mostly for other teams.

Even Stala had begun his decline (the first of five consecutive seasons in which his production was lower than the year before), leaving only Williams, as a star rookie, arguably playing anywhere close to his peak level.
I was actually thinking 2010, the year McDaniel came up just short of 1000 yards. But I did forget that Williams wasn't with the team yet that year. Thigpen was, but as a running back more than a receiver.  And then there was Bauman....

Users Online

80 Guests, 11 Users (12 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
greenandwhite, Abendschan, tcmike, Lyle B. Style, FootbalYouBet, StampsRock!, Wumper, ticat1, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (8), Baidu

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)