Mark

DisplacedCatsFan (on another thread) mentioned the '89 Cats and that got me thinking of their receiving corps of Winfield (injured part of the year), Champion, DiPietro, Estelle & Knight or McAdoo. Pretty good bunch, don'tcha think? But certainly not our best ever.

What's your pick for the all-time best group for a year. Why?

DisplacedCatsFan

Tolliver, Fantuz, Tasker, Owens, Gable was pretty good in 2015...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Slomojo2005

Yep I like this group.  Speed/hands/ moves rhey had it all.  Too bad ZC wasn’t there all year but thatz another thread!  

ExPat

Yep I like this group.  Speed/hands/ moves rhey had it all.  Too bad ZC wasn’t there all year but thatz another thread!  
Well, Owens wasn't there at all that year, but Sinkfield and Grant were.

I'm assuming DCF meant to say 2016.  All four of those receivers (not RB Gable)would have gone over 1,000 yards if not for injuries to Tasker and Owens.

ExPat

... receiving corps of Winfield (injured part of the year), Champion, DiPietro, Estelle & Knight or McAdoo. Pretty good bunch, don'tcha think? But certainly not our best ever.
Why not the best ever?  Hard to find a more stellar top three.  Champion was dominant that year (and only that year) and was Eastern MOP nominee.  Winfield was always dangerous at that point in his career and was the '88 nominee.  Rocky was a two-time most outstanding Canadian and all-time receptions leader at that point (I think).  Take it back one season and you could also throw in Steve Stapler.

I suspect the old-timers will mutter something about the 1960s, with Hal Patterson, Garney Henley, Tommy Grant.  They need to be selective in choosing the year though, because Henley didn't always play receiver.

PatLynch

1967 TiCats : Ted Watkins, Dave Viti, Hal Patterson, Tommy Grant, Garney Henley

67 Grey Cup was Watkin's last game, sadly. :( :(

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

stevehvh

Well I guess I qualify as an old timer. I'm kind of with the two Pats, Ex and Lynch.

I really liked that 89 group, but yes I would dial it back a year to add Steve Stapler. As for 67, a great group for sure but id make a few changes there. Garney was only spotted on offence then. However, don't forget Tommy Joe Coffey was a super part of that team. And Dave Viti played more defence than offence, but Dave Fleming was an early version of a slotback, who caught passes about as often as he ran the ball.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

blackandgld

Banks, Tasker, Sanders all went for over 1,000 yards last season after a dreadful start. I think we might be saying this years receivers are our best ever adding 6'5" Toliver to this mix.

Mark

... receiving corps of Winfield (injured part of the year), Champion, DiPietro, Estelle & Knight or McAdoo. Pretty good bunch, don'tcha think? But certainly not our best ever.
Why not the best ever?  Hard to find a more stellar top three.  Champion was dominant that year (and only that year) and was Eastern MOP nominee.  Winfield was always dangerous at that point in his career and was the '88 nominee.  Rocky was a two-time most outstanding Canadian and all-time receptions leader at that point (I think).  Take it back one season and you could also throw in Steve Stapler.

I suspect the old-timers will mutter something about the 1960s, with Hal Patterson, Garney Henley, Tommy Grant.  They need to be selective in choosing the year though, because Henley didn't always play receiver.
I really DO like the '89 group but Winfield's injury that year slowed it down. I think (along with SteveH) the '88 group (Winfield, DiPietro, Stapler, Chapdelaine, Champion and Knight/Tommy) was better and had more pure talent but Kerrigan had an off year.

ExPat

I really DO like the '89 group but Winfield's injury that year slowed it down. I think (along with SteveH) the '88 group (Winfield, DiPietro, Stapler, Chapdelaine, Champion and Knight/Tommy) was better and had more pure talent but Kerrigan had an off year.
If the weak link in your receiving corps is Hall-of-Famer Earl Winfield, you're doing OK.

It's your thread, so you can define the question as you like.  I took it to mean "best group of receivers", while others are talking about "best single season by a group of receivers". 

If it's the latter, then you might just have to answer with whatever season was the team's highest-ever for total passing yards.  Not sure what year that was, but it might well be Burris' record-setting 2012 season.  In which case, our "best-ever receivers" would be Chris Williams, Fantuz, Stala, Giguere, Grant, and of course Onrea Jones.  I, for one, am not convinced.

Mark

If the weak link in your receiving corps is Hall-of-Famer Earl Winfield, you're doing OK.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's your thread, so you can define the question as you like.  I took it to mean "best group of receivers", while others are talking about "best single season by a group of receivers".

I see it as the best group by talent. But hey, once posted it's EVERYONE'S thread!

If it's the latter, then you might just have to answer with whatever season was the team's highest-ever for total passing yards.  Not sure what year that was, but it might well be Burris' record-setting 2012 season.  In which case, our "best-ever receivers" would be Chris Williams, Fantuz, Stala, Giguere, Grant, and of course Onrea Jones.  I, for one, am not convinced. I agree! Neither would I be.

Mark

1967 TiCats : Ted Watkins, Dave Viti, Hal Patterson, Tommy Grant, Garney Henley

67 Grey Cup was Watkin's last game, sadly. :( :(

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
Henley was only an occasional receiver that year but this group contains the team that I fell in love with. HOW could you forget the leading receiver... my man Tommy Joe?!

Player     No.Yds  Avg.  LongTDs
Tommy Coffey42 683 16.3  45 5
Willie Bethea40 520 13.0  42 1
Ted Watkins35 550 15.7  56 3
Dave Fleming18 311 17.3  44 1
Tommy Grant10 249 24.9  49 0
Garney Henley  5 213 42.6  92 1
Gord Christian5 120 24.0  41 1
Dick Cohee5 98 19.6  22 0
Clem Turner2 12  6.0   7 0
Hal Patterson1 31 31.0  31 0
Dick Gibbs1 22 22.0  22 0
Ed Turek1 20 20.0  20 0
Totals165 2829 17.1  92 12

(Bethea was also top rusher with 737 yards AND the closest thing we had to a back-up QB as he threw 2 passes for 58 yards with a 100% completion rate.  :D )

And does anybody out there remember Clem Turner? ???

FootbalYouBet

ahh, Winfield, my second all time favorite receiver in the league.  Champion and Stabler, excellent.  DiPietro  a very good 4th.  I enjoyed cheering for the ticats the most when they played.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

Palmer

Hal Patterson caught only one pass?  Was he injured that year?  One of the most memorable days in my football fan life was the day Prince Hal was traded to Hamilton.  My regret was that he didn't keep his number 75.

A bit past his prime, but still an electrifying receiver when he cut across the field and stretched out for the pass reception.  Only one reception??

Mark

Hal Patterson caught only one pass?  Was he injured that year?  One of the most memorable days in my football fan life was the day Prince Hal was traded to Hamilton.  My regret was that he didn't keep his number 75.

A bit past his prime, but still an electrifying receiver when he cut across the field and stretched out for the pass reception.  Only one reception??
I don't know the reason for the lone pass. I was a kid of 13 and that was a loooong time ago. Anybody else know?

Users Online

87 Guests, 9 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lyle B. Style, FootbalYouBet, Abendschan, StampsRock!, Wumper, ticat1, shadowski, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (10), Baidu

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)