SilverSurfer

Tiger-Cat management are great at lip service that's all it is and all it's been since 2012 when the Argo's won the last Grey Cup prior to yesterday's win. 

The Tiger-Cats were touted as the team that would do the very same once Austin took over in 2013 but with two unsuccessful trips to the Grey Cup and more lousy changes of quality players who have been let go over the years only resurface and play great on other CFL teams, the Tiger-Cats are back at stage one yet again.

Congratulations to the Argos who won under a new coaching staff with Marc Trestman and new GM Jim Popp and a few new players. I would hope that fans of the Argos get behind this team and support them and not just fair-weather fans who only show up at a victory parade but fans who actually show up at home games and fill the stands next year at BMO, I have my doubts on that one though as that was supposed to happen after the Argos won the cup in 2012??

That's the one positive attribute the Tiger-Cats have is great fan support and loyal fans who show up win or lose but you have to wonder how much longer that will last if this team doesn't produce a solid winner next year?

my home team

Tiger-Cat management are great at lip service that's all it is and all it's been since 2012 when the Argo's won the last Grey Cup prior to yesterday's win.

The Tiger-Cats were touted as the team that would do the very same once Austin took over in 2013 but with two unsuccessful trips to the Grey Cup and more lousy changes of quality players who have been let go over the years only resurface , the Tiger-Cats are back at stage one yet again.

Congratulations to the Argos who won under a new coaching staff with Marc Trestman and new GM Jim Popp and a few new players. I would hope that fans of the Argos get behind this team and support them and not just fair-weather fans who only show up at a victory parade but fans who actually show up at home games and fill the stands next year at BMO, I have my doubts on that one though as that was supposed to happen after the Argos won the cup in 2012??

That's the one positive attribute the Tiger-Cats have is great fan support and loyal fans who show up win or lose but you have to wonder how much longer that will last if this team doesn't produce a solid winner next year?
"and more lousy changes of quality players who have been let go over the years only resurface and play great on other CFL teams"

And the argos had a number of players that were with Montreal at one point....this happens THROUGHOUT the league....

"I would hope that fans of the Argos get behind this team and support them and not just fair-weather fans who only show up at a victory parade but fans who actually show up at home games and fill the stands next year at BMO, I have my doubts on that one though as that was supposed to happen after the Argos won the cup in 2012??"

This scenario is like when a player is released. Another team hires him, thinking they're going to have an answer that the other team didn't have....Anyone who anticipates that Toronto is going to rally their support around this team, even with a Grey cup on the mantle, doesn't know their history.

Toronto is NOT a CFL town...and never will be...a hard expensive lesson that will have to relearned by this ownership group.

schmenger

Bitter " Hell Ya" considering the following:

Tommy Condell signed as a " Special Adviser " January 2017

CFL Free Agency Feb 14, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.

Jim Popp signed as GM " February 27, 2017 

Marc Trestman signed as Head Coach February 28, 2017

Take a look at how the pieces fell in to place starting with Condell as "Special Adviser" who was 
instrumental filling the holes for the Arblows. Starting with S.J. Green - Bear Woods and eight other former Montreal Allwets. The Arblows had a great plan and it didn't take long for them to reap the ultimate reward. Jim Popp elected to sign ten former Allwet players from Kavis Reed. This was well planned and well thought out and considering what we have witnessed in Hamilton for the past few
years I don't expect much to change unless Kent Austin is shown the door. 

So look at the dates and there was no coach or gm at free agency and obviously Condell was reporting to somebody and was steering the ship while Hamilton was trying to fix the holes in their leaky canoe. You asked if I am bitter and the word bitter does not describe how I feel about this entire matter. Does it all come down to Popp, Trestman being way smarter than the Tiger Cat brass or was this a league conspiracy or fix to help shore the Toronto attendance problems? 

Consider the fact the Tiger Cats only signed one free agent in 2017. That alone speaks volumes and if they thought they could improve with the players they had previously, there were and are in a dream world. It appears to be a money salary management issue or nobody wanted to play for Austin. In any event, it is high time the Tiger Cat brass get their heads out of their Cliff Claven and raise the bar higher than ever before or you can expect very low attendance next year. Signing June Jones would be a great start but they need a top caliber offensive coordinator who can mix the run and shoot with the current CFL spread offence.      

This is my rant after Grey Cup 2017

Palmer

The Argos struggle year to year, seemingly going from top to bottom, and bottom to top.  But when they do get to the Cup, they seem to pull off a good game, and a win.  The Toronto fans don’t know a good thing when they see it?  Waste all their engery backing the two chronic losers at the ACC and the one at Rogers Centre.

Only downside for me is another year coming up of Calgary and TSN commentators whining about “redemption”.  

TheBreeze

Im going to call it as it is right now. Im pissed off.

Regardless of what you think of Scott Mitchell, Kent Austin, Collaros or Masoli this whole Argos thing absolutely drives me nuts.

When we signed Austin it was our turn for organizational stability. We were going to have long term success. Then Collaros, we have our QB. Back to back Grey Cups... no matter, we're going to own the east for years to come. It's only a matter of time.

Then Ottawa passes us. I don't care why. They pass us. No problem, Collaros is back and healthy. We'll be back. Not only does Ottawa pass us but they win the Grey Cup. I don't care why.

Toronto signs Popp and Trestman. Here we go. Not the end of the world because we're ahead of them in the re-build. Oh, SJ Green for nothing. Wonderful.

Tonight takes the cake. They rebuild in 1 year and win the Grey Cup. 9-9. We can't even get to 9-9.
Im not blaming Austin, Mitchell, Jones, Briles, Young, Collaros, Masoli, anyone. I don't care.

If I was Bob Young I would be looking in the mirror and asking God what I have to do to somehow figure this out, because this flat out sucks.
If it had not been for a dubious penalty call at the end of the game, the Ticats would have turned around a losing team, and won the cup in the space of one year, in Austin's first year as coach.
The blew team won a game that could have gone either way, on a couple of late turnovers, get over it.

SteelCitySteve

Ya I'm with ya....the impression I get is that the Argo's seem to manage to stumble accidentally into either hosting or winning a Grey Cup every few years....and they have the smallest fan base.

Meanwhile, as we all know, Hamilton hasn't hosted in 21 years and hasn't won in 18. There were many lean years since then. We got teased a few years ago and had the rug pulled out from under us. We build a new stadium with promises from the CFL that we'll get to host not one, but two Grey Cups in short order!

Ottawa, who wasn't even in the league when we opened THF, has now hosted....I swear if Halifax hosts/wins a Grey Cup before we do I'm going to lose my $hit!

Who was I going for? No one really, in such a small league, pretty much every other team is a rival. The Argos are the Argos.....hard to cheer for Calgary when they won in '14 against us off that crappy penalty.

Seeing the Argos win, starting to make me lean toward the camp of restructuring the playoffs / divisions. It just doesn't make sense that the Argo's when when pretty much every team in the West was better then every team in the East. Then again, the CFL is very much a league of "when you get hot"....maybe a two game total point system might make sense.

Love the Grey Cup in the snow! Do not move the season up!

mr62cats

What a stark contrast between the Tiger-Cats and the Blue Team.
They have done in one year what we have been unable to accomplish since Bob Young took over.
Their coaching and attitude is superior to anything we have had, especially since Austin arrived.
June Jones is a step up but he is not a long term solution.
As long as Austin is still around as VP Football Operations we will continue to wallow in mediocrity.
We seem to operate in slow motion whereas other teams have a much greater sense of urgency in the need to improve.
Tinkering is not the answer. But I am afraid that's is what will happen to us over the off-season.

Crash

They have done in one year what we have been unable to accomplish since Bob Young took over.
Their coaching and attitude is superior to anything we have had, especially since Austin arrived.
As long as Austin is still around as VP Football Operations we will continue to wallow in mediocrity.
We seem to operate in slow motion whereas other teams have a much greater sense of urgency in the need to improve.
Tinkering is not the answer. But I am afraid that's is what will happen to us over the off-season.
Not fair to Austin. We had the same culture and attitude in Austin's 1st few years. During the Mac /Guelph fiascos he received all of the credit for keeping the team together and focused.

150GAGE

Not fair to Austin. We had the same culture and attitude in Austin's 1st few years. During the Mac /Guelph fiascos he received all of the credit for keeping the team together and focused.
So what happened to Austin in the last two seasons? Did he forget how to coach? Evaluate talent? Became too much of a one man show?
With Trestman in Toronto, it's going to be a huge climb to get out of the Eastern division. ...and just watch how quickly he figures out the future QB situation.

Iconic SR

I am frankly happy for the Argos for winning. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the Argos they win their share of grey cups. 1996, 2004, 2012, 2017, cetainly within every 9 years in a 9 team league.
As for us, of course, it' very disappointing, that our time at the top was short lived; and really  not favoured to win.  

It' s always appeared to me we strive for .500 team and get into the playoffs.  We're usually close to achieving that goal, but this year the wheels fell off.  
Hopefully we can strive to loftier goals, like 12 -15 wins season.
But we do need to sign relevant free agents to achieve higher goals.  Toronto signed SJ Green, Sask. Signed Duron Carter, both teams had better than expected years. Montreal tried to replace these guys with 3rd rate players and fell on their face.
We need to cherry pick some of these Vetetans in free agency to add to our team.
(BTW, don' t feel too sorry for Calgary as they have also won in the last 9 years)
So you would be in favour of the Cats bringing in the likes of Duron Carter or Manziel and the  heck to being prim and proper.  Doesn't matter if the guy is a women abuser or if he is a me first, team second type of guy....? Try to win at all costs?  
Duron Carter has been great here in Saskatchewan. Hope we can keep him here.

seamack3

Our Ticats never fail to disappoint! It’s just the way it is ever since they changed the leaping Tiger 🐅 to the new one ! A CURSE!
Yep, the logo is losing us games!
It might be... either that or removing the yellow stripe from the helmets.  For the Stampeders, they've been cursed since winning with their red helmets in 2014.  Enough of the Stamps black helmets, they're not supposed to be the RedBlacks.

-Hammer-

I can accept a bad season, lord knows we've had our fair share of them.

I can accept a 60-1 loss, bad games happen

I can accept a lacklustre free agency where you only sign 1 guy from another team, maybe you had undue confidence in your rookies/draftees

I can accept coming into the season ill prepared without proper players at O.Line, Receiver and Secondary. Sometimes you need to wait till cuts happen.

I can accept losing good coaches, better opportunities arise and while good teams often manage to keep a consistent staff these things happen.

I can accept poor choices being made in the stadium debate (even more so after experiencing a Grey Cup in Ottawa at an awesome city core location), lord knows there was plenty of blame to go around.

I can accept not having a dominant 12-6 record in over two decades (although likely not for much longer if playoff format changes actually happen).

I can accept not having won a Grey Cup in what will soon be two decades. At least we're not the Bombers.

I can accept not hosting a Grey Cup in over 2 decades and not once under current management. I mean, you need to get on the same page with the city and the stadium litigation STILL isn't resolved (despite assurances that it would be from both sides).

I can accept that when we do finally manage to host a Grey Cup, that it won't be anywhere near as awesome as what I experienced in Ottawa, if only because of the stadium location, and that the only place any kind of a party of that magnitude could happen here is either James St N. or Hess.

I can accept this absurd off and on fantasy with Johnny Manziel despite his slew of off field issues and complete lack of professional success and us having a QB with just as many if not better credentials.

I can even accept trying to hire Art Briles, as physically repulsive and brain-dead stupid as it was to even attempt. Maybe enough people there were honestly gullible enough to think this millionaire deserved a second chance despite literally every other pro and college football program in existence wanting nothing to do with him.

What I can't accept is no one being let go for any of it. I can't accept that all of these issues are matters of coincidence, and that I'm supposed to just trust in the current regime. Keeping the management staff intact to me shows a lack of desire to succeed, that repeat failure has no consequence and that you are committed to keeping the same group of people who got you into this mess.  

This is especially true when other teams having cleaned house with their management teams (or in the case of Ottawa, didn't even have a management team to begin with) and managed to produce competitive teams in short order. That treating the justified firing of staff (who as far as I am aware, no one in the league save maybe Montreal is looking to get their hands on) as some kind of cardinal sin because they were the only brief bright light we've had in over a decade.

mr62cats

What I saw tonight was a lucky finish by Toronto.
Gerbear 20:   "Lucky finish"??
Unless you are the President of the Stampeders Fan Club, I would say most folks would conclude there was no luck involved at all by Toronto at the end of the game.
Calling it luck misses the point entirely. That was a great  heads-up interception by Black that prevented Calgary from scoring the winning TD!

Toronto was ahead 27-24 at the time so they earned the victory because they were the better team in the end despite Calgary's better record in the regular season.
It was an excellent game. Well refereed. No injuries and a great effort by all of the players despite the snow.
Luck only matters when you play Horseshoes ;).

6ft6ofgoodness

What I saw tonight was a lucky finish by Toronto.

I did notice that both qb's are much more accurate than or qb in masoli......hence we should go with collaros or johnny football....

i also noticed that both these teams have great pass rushers....

We need a good qb and another pass rusher to go with Tracey to be able to compete with these guys

It sounded to me that Ray hinted at retirement saying it would be a nice way to end things .

So , I figure he will follow Burris footsteps and retire on top .

The question is : who will the Argos go after ? Johnny Manziel or zack ?

I hope we don't just cut zack and have the argos pick him up for nothing.
     Calgary more self-destructed and gave the game to the Argos.  I would say the Stampeders more so lost the game, than calling it a lucky finish by Toronto. The Stamps lost this game on three plays; the long TD pass, the fumble return for a TD, and the endzone interception.  As for our QB situation, I can say this enough.  Keep Zach and give him another opportunity, or I have this hunch we will later regret releasing him and letting him sign with another team, to create another dynasty with them.  We want him here to create a dynasty with us. 

guelphcatsfan

I'm not bitter.  Well maybe a little bit, especially when as other more articulate posters have pointed out, the Argos put together this team / organization in 10 months.

My take is that we will continue to be competitive and entertaining in 2018 just as we were under the last half of the season under June Jones.  The lost first half of the season still holds a sting.  We had three good years under Austin but the wheels came off with the loss of Collaros, Condell, and Orlondo.

Users Online

96 Guests, 24 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
FootbalYouBet, 97valkyrie, Sidney, Gerbear20, everyman, Grover, G Man, GOTC1, popo, Onemoredork, oo DAWG oo, 150GAGE, ExPat, mike2579, Corey.the.tiger, alphamale111, bobo82, PatLynch, Lucas Bellemare, JoeyT, thirdnlong, Mightygoose, Yahoo!, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)