ExPat

I don't like to see latent anti-Americanism here, however mild or indirect it may seem. My dad was American, it didn't stop him from enjoying the CFL (though his first and abiding sports interest was always the Yankees).
Wasn't my intention ... maybe I shouldn't have said it that way. 

Was intended as shorthand for a much longer phrase: "Guy who has virtually no knowledge of the CFL, sees everything through a Manziel-coloured lens, assumes any US college star can walk on and outperform our established stars, has no context for how many times such over-hyped stars have pooped the bed here, likes to opine on a CFL chat board about how inferior our league is, and appears to think he knows more than us about what it takes to succeed in the CFL."   That was just too much of a mouthful.

rshmglsky

In any case, if Manziel can't give the ticats an answer by so and so, they shouldn't even want him anymore.

Grover

I think there is a strong possibility that the new regime's interest in Manziel has somewhat diminished.
They have the odd man out(Austin) as their point man in Negotiations.
That should tell you where Manziel now fits on their priority list.

"Austin will remain as a consultant with the club. Mitchell said he will continue to be the Ticats' point of contact in the Johnny Manziel negotiations."

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8393446-team-time-with-austin-out/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Ticatsfan25

The players are not a LOT better nobody would watch the CFL if that was the case .

I will take my knowledge from actually players who played in both leagues who usually state the starters in the CFL are on par but after that there is a drop off .

From watching both leagues that seems to be the case . The NFL players on the full roster are usually PRO ready and it's plug and play . In the CFL that's just not the case usually .
I am not sure you should contradict the American who has been kind enough to come on this board and explain football to all of us rubes (even though he knows almost nothing about the CFL).  Show some respect, hoser!
Thanks for making that clear ExPat.  What I do know is that the US players playing in the CFL are players that could not land a position with a NFL team.  That being the case it’s not even logical to believe that the CFL is on a par with the NFL.

Even so, the CFL is a different game and is at least as entertaining or maybe more because of the rules  and the size of the field.

One thing that stands out when watching the CFL is how often receivers are wide open. I don’t know if that is because of the wider field or because of the quality of the DB’s. Maybe both. In any case, on average, it leads to much higher scores than the NFL. As Flutie has said, it makes the game a lot of fun to play.
FWIW, given that there is unlimited motion/the waggle plus DBs have to be a yard off the line of scrimmage plus the wider field, there is an inherent advantage WRs have because of these factors (I believe).  Obviously this changes the further the WR goes downfield but hitting the LOS at nearly full speed with no contact allowed after 5 yds allows for big time separation in shorter yardage situations.

ExPat

Semi-related to recent posts, is a comment in an article about Chip Cox's potential retirement.  He worked as a talent evaluator for Montreal during the off-season.

“You got to sit down and got to watch for players that could fit into a certain league. You look for certain skills because the CFL is so much different than other leagues,” he explained. “Because of the size of the field, it brings a whole different light to the game.

This is well known to most CFL fans. Perhaps less well known to new followers of our league.  Or wannabe QBs who may think training camp is optional.

stevehvh

I don't like to see latent anti-Americanism here, however mild or indirect it may seem. My dad was American, it didn't stop him from enjoying the CFL (though his first and abiding sports interest was always the Yankees).
Wasn't my intention ... maybe I shouldn't have said it that way.

Was intended as shorthand for a much longer phrase: "Guy who has virtually no knowledge of the CFL, sees everything through a Manziel-coloured lens, assumes any US college star can walk on and outperform our established stars, has no context for how many times such over-hyped stars have pooped the bed here, likes to opine on a CFL chat board about how inferior our league is, and appears to think he knows more than us about what it takes to succeed in the CFL."   That was just too much of a mouthful.
I'm sure it wasn't, Pat. I take your point about people commenting  about the league without knowing it. He's learning though, and he sees its appeal. I'm sure that will continue. 

As for Manziel, there are some here who are really keen on the guy, whether because they think he's a great football talent, or because they think he'll generate lots of social media traffic for whatever good that may do. There appear to be a lot more skeptics like you and me  though.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

hendy77

I want him here because I think he was made for this league.

I want him here because I think he'll make the team better.

The 73 page thread on a guy no one cares about, tells me he has created a lot of "social media traffic". Let's face it, the guy is going to generate interest in our league...in this country and in the U.S. 
Legs Feed the Wolf!

cats99

Mods! If little Johnny doesn’t get his sorry ass up here for Camp Lock this thread as I can’t take it anymore !

then we all move on ! Once and for all in Masoli WE TRUST !
Germany WC RUSSIA
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️+⭐️2018
🇩🇪

CatsFaninOttawa

Mods! If little Johnny doesn’t get his sorry ass up here for Camp Lock this thread as I can’t take it anymore !

If those of us outside Hamilton can ignore a 700+ page thread on the stadium issues and city politics, I'm sure you can ignore this thread if you really tried. No? 

rshmglsky

If those of us outside Hamilton can ignore a 700+ page thread on the stadium issues and city politics, I'm sure you can ignore this thread if you really tried. No?
You mean like trying to stay off facebook? Ha.

CatsFaninOttawa

You mean like trying to stay off facebook? Ha.
Yeah, something like that. ;D

Hank01

After Johnny's workout out and ex games in the spring he should have signed somewhere . No matter what league . 

Something must be at play with Manziel's mental health issues that prevent any team from going forward with him .

Not signing here or trading with Montreal might have to do with those  health issues .

He might not be ready to play anywhere or live under a set of rigid rules just yet . 

It's just my speculation but I really think he has to be under a self discipline regime with his medication in order to be under someone else's control or he will not be able to adjust to backing up anyone at QB or playing the team role expected in 2018 .

Ticatsfan25

After Johnny's workout out and ex games in the spring he should have signed somewhere . No matter what league .

Something must be at play with Manziel's mental health issues that prevent any team from going forward with him .

Not signing here or trading with Montreal might have to do with those  health issues .

He might not be ready to play anywhere or live under a set of rigid rules just yet .

It's just my speculation but I really think he has to be under a self discipline regime with his medication in order to be under someone else's control or he will not be able to adjust to backing up anyone at QB or playing the team role expected in 2018 .
IMO I don't think that's in play here with respect to the CFL.  He's got a contract offer, and had one for months now, and the reason (aside from not being paid $500k/season) he says he hasnt is he is exhausting his NFL options before signing.  Yes training camp starts this weekend, but the current issue is how long does he wait for NFL camp invite/contract before committing to CFL.  He's got to have his own deadline and if he thinks he's got interest from the NFL he's prob going to hold out until the last available second.  I think most people agree that's the wrong approach and he should be in CFL camp day 1 given the learning curve, but it also wouldnt surprise me if he misses all of training camp.  Ticats are still gonna sign him if he says he wants in on July 1st.  Him on the roster and practicing with the team while getting paid is better than him alone in a gym.  While he may not play much this season if he does that, it just wouldnt shock me if thats the kind of holdout he does.

I feel if he's not here near the start of camp it has to be a case of him still having talks with at least one team and he thinks he can get to an NFL camp, there's really no other reason.

Lennywasout

IMO I don't think that's in play here with respect to the CFL.  He's got a contract offer, and had one for months now, and the reason (aside from not being paid $500k/season) he says he hasnt is he is exhausting his NFL options before signing.  Yes training camp starts this weekend, but the current issue is how long does he wait for NFL camp invite/contract before committing to CFL.  He's got to have his own deadline and if he thinks he's got interest from the NFL he's prob going to hold out until the last available second.  I think most people agree that's the wrong approach and he should be in CFL camp day 1 given the learning curve, but it also wouldnt surprise me if he misses all of training camp.  Ticats are still gonna sign him if he says he wants in on July 1st.  Him on the roster and practicing with the team while getting paid is better than him alone in a gym.  While he may not play much this season if he does that, it just wouldnt shock me if thats the kind of holdout he does.

I feel if he's not here near the start of camp it has to be a case of him still having talks with at least one team and he thinks he can get to an NFL camp, there's really no other reason.
How about ego for a reason. He’s trying to play everyone.  This story is getting old. 

Ticatsfan25

IMO I don't think that's in play here with respect to the CFL.  He's got a contract offer, and had one for months now, and the reason (aside from not being paid $500k/season) he says he hasnt is he is exhausting his NFL options before signing.  Yes training camp starts this weekend, but the current issue is how long does he wait for NFL camp invite/contract before committing to CFL.  He's got to have his own deadline and if he thinks he's got interest from the NFL he's prob going to hold out until the last available second.  I think most people agree that's the wrong approach and he should be in CFL camp day 1 given the learning curve, but it also wouldnt surprise me if he misses all of training camp.  Ticats are still gonna sign him if he says he wants in on July 1st.  Him on the roster and practicing with the team while getting paid is better than him alone in a gym.  While he may not play much this season if he does that, it just wouldnt shock me if thats the kind of holdout he does.

How about ego for a reason. He’s trying to play everyone.  This story is getting old.
Well sure, thats prob part of it.  But lets be real, any former NFL player who thought they had a legit chance of signing/making an NFL roster for this upcoming season is going to do the same thing.  Nobody's clamoring to come make the CFL minimum for 2 years when they could possibly wait a month-ish and make the NFL minimum.  This isnt a Manziel-specific thing, it's a professional football player thing.

Manziel seemed pretty adamant that if the NFL doesnt work out hes coming here, and he was clear when asked about start of camp that he doesnt have a timeline for when he would sign or how much of camp he would be there for.  That, or he is a good actor :)

Users Online

121 Guests, 16 Users (16 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Onemoredork, KevinRiley2, bowl450, tabbiefan72, ExPat, RichardVeilleux, Augustus67, RedandWhite, FootbalYouBet, slowhand, The Last Word, heapbag, Grover, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)