Palmer

Doubt that Montreal would do draft position swap straight up.  There would have to be some sweetner to add to the deal, either a player, rights to a player, or additional drafts.  And if another team makes the swap, we still stay at number two, and are in the exact situation as now.

Only advantage to the Cats doing a deal, is a guarantee of getting your first choice of drafted players.  I think I’d gamble and sit tight.

ottawacat

I don't understand your logic? If Montreal does not take Chapman at one, why would the Ticats trade #2 to get ahead of what other team?
What I'm saying is that the only way to make sure they get Chapman, if he's who the Cats most want, is to get the #1 pick before any other team makes a trade with MTL for that first pick, which the cfl.ca staff piece, I provided a link to, was suggesting may happen.

ottawacat

Doubt that Montreal would do draft position swap straight up.  There would have to be some sweetner to add to the deal, either a player, rights to a player, or additional drafts.  And if another team makes the swap, we still stay at number two, and are in the exact situation as now.

Only advantage to the Cats doing a deal, is a guarantee of getting your first choice of drafted players.  I think I’d gamble and sit tight.
When I suggested that, if Hamilton's greatest wish is to draft Chapman, they should try and swap picks with Montreal, I did include the idea that Hamilton's offer would include a "sweetner,"  which I don't think would have to be much because the Alouettes, picking 2nd, would still get the guy (an OL) they wanted.  For Montreal, making a deal like that, with Hamilton, would get them, basically, something (from Hamilton), while giving up really nothing.  If they (MTL) trade away the #1 pick to any other team, they wouldn't have that guarantee of being able to draft their favoured individual who they'd get, picking 1st, or 2nd.  

Ramrod

And what might Mark Chapman's intentions be?  Anybody heard if he has a yen to be an NFL'er?  I've seen it listed somewhere that his home town is Port Huron, MI (???).  Is he a "Dual Citizen" type?  That might influence his interest in the "Big Show". 

HfxTC

I don't understand your logic? If Montreal does not take Chapman at one, why would the Ticats trade #2 to get ahead of what other team?
What I'm saying is that the only way to make sure they get Chapman, if he's who the Cats most want, is to get the #1 pick before any other team makes a trade with MTL for that first pick, which the cfl.ca staff piece, I provided a link to, was suggesting may happen.
Got you... Your looking a a pre-emptive strike :)
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

HfxTC

This is different, he wants to play in the CFL!

Farhan Lalji‏Verified account
@FarhanLaljiTSN

Canadian OL Trey Rutherford from UConn is declining #NFL mini-camp invited to focus on the #CFLDraft. Ranked #4 on CFL Scouting Bureau rankings.
With Hunter & Shepley signing UDFA deals in NFL, expect Rutherford to be picked in top 2 on May 3
6:30 PM - 28 Apr 2018
There is a good chance MTL would take Rutherford at #1 now,
Which would leave us REC Chapman at #2
You know that Rutherford wasn't a starter right? The reason Rutherford is seen as high as he is right now is similar to how guys lik JSJ ended up at the top of the draft board. Then you have to consider that guys like Hunter with a FA contract get cut from their first camp in about 80 percent of cases. At this point Reed has done a very good job of keeping anything from leaking... He's actually quite smart and discreet about this stuff. Nobody saw Sherman coming and most of his FA signings either.

Grover

@FarhanLaljiTSN

Canadian OL Trey Rutherford from UConn is declining #NFL mini-camp invited to focus on the #CFLDraft. Ranked #4 on CFL Scouting Bureau rankings.
With Hunter & Shepley signing UDFA deals in NFL, expect Rutherford to be picked in top 2 on May 3
You know that Rutherford wasn't a starter right? The reason Rutherford is seen as high as he is right now is similar to how guys lik JSJ ended up at the top of the draft board. Then you have to consider that guys like Hunter with a FA contract get cut from their first camp in about 80 percent of cases. At this point Reed has done a very good job of keeping anything from leaking... He's actually quite smart and discreet about this stuff. Nobody saw Sherman coming and most of his FA signings either.
Just said there is a "chance"(should have said could instead of would)shoulda,coulda,woulda!  ::)
I really know nothing about Rutherford, or any of the other potential draftees.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Slomojo2005

And what might Mark Chapman's intentions be?  Anybody heard if he has a yen to be an NFL'er?  I've seen it listed somewhere that his home town is Port Huron, MI (???).  Is he a "Dual Citizen" type?  That might influence his interest in the "Big Show".
For sure he has visions of NFL.  Who wouldn’t!  So there’s a gamble to make trade, Mtl knows this as well and if thwre’s a sure thing 2nd pick. Stick with what you got.

HfxTC

@FarhanLaljiTSN

Just said there is a "chance"(should have said could instead of would)shoulda,coulda,woulda!  ::)
I really know nothing about Rutherford, or any of the other potential draftees.
I'm just saying at this point NOBODY has any idea what Reed wants to do. he's floated trading the pick, floated drafting an offensive linesmen and floated Chapman... Must be somewhere in his matrix on his MAC. I've asked Kim Dot Com for help.

bobo82

Excellent Draft preview and Canadian depth chart for our Cats courtesy of Drew over at 3DN.....

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/30/draft-preview-assessing-ticats-canadian-talent/

Ti-Cats current Cdn depth chart with projected starters being bold faced (Revenberg ,Filer , Bomben , Chambers , Laurent , Capicciotti , Stephen) . It's rather curious that Drew included LS Aaron Crawford on the chart considering that he is currently not listed on the Ti-Cat roster and was last seen on the retirement list at the end of last season .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

blackandgld

I don't mind the thought of drafting the RB from Western and going National at the RB position.

Grover

I don't mind the thought of drafting the RB from Western and going National at the RB position.
He is also a long snapper!

RB David Mackie, Western
A smooth pass-catching fullback, Mackie will contribute on offence with the Ticats after a season or two on special teams. Mackie is also an excellent long snapper, a role the Ticats need filled.

ottawacat

3 days prior to the draft, Kavis Reed is open to offers for trading away the opportunity to pick first:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes-open-dealing-first-overall-pick-cfl-draft/

Onemoredork

Every GM in every sport says that.  What they mean is we'll trade our first pick only if its considerably lop sided for us with players that can help us (more than you) immediately.

Which is why it almost never happens.

Palmer

As has been said, with the second pick, IMO, there is not much incentive for the Cats to trade up one position.  Unless they can put together something like two or three later picks, to move up to both one and two.

Plus big O-line guys, and whippet type receivers don’t always translate to ideal special teamers.  Need those kamikaze LB and DB types :D.

Users Online

68 Guests, 15 Users (6 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Palmer, oo DAWG oo, Grover, bobo82, yougottabekidding, Lyle B. Style, Corey.the.tiger, xlnt, rhymes with orange, ticatbill, Holy Mackinaw, EastVanMark, DavidThompson, mike619, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)