Grover

It doesn't mean a lot.   It's rare for Canadian draft picks to be starters in their first year, especially coming out of the CIS.   Done a little research on the Ticats and Argos
I’ve listed the Ticat and the Argo draft picks since 2014 - FOUR seasons of draft picks.
For the Ticats only ONE starter has come out of the Canadian draft, the rest either released, backups, special teams or reserve.
Leroy, welcome to the forum!

The draft does mean a lot, a huge amount of a lot!!

When half of your game day roster must consist of players that came through that draft at one time,
IT MEANS A LOT!

Special teams is an integral part of every team, very important and for every starting NAT. on the field there must be a capable NAT backup for injury purposes

Out of this draft I expect(hope) to get a high end REC, high end DB, and a high end OL

Drew Allemang (Dir. of Canadian Scouting) has been watching and grading these players in the upcoming draft for probably a couple of seasons.
This is his time to shine!
All of our picks from last season were on the roster last season except Scarfone who returned to school in Guelph

Justin Vaughn in the 5th round last year was a steal!!

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

HfxTC

It doesn't mean a lot.   It's rare for Canadian draft picks to be starters in their first year, especially coming out of the CIS.   Done a little research on the Ticats and Argos
I’ve listed the Ticat and the Argo draft picks since 2014 - FOUR seasons of draft picks.
For the Ticats only ONE starter has come out of the Canadian draft, the rest either released, backups, special teams or reserve.
Leroy, welcome to the forum!

The draft does mean a lot, a huge amount of a lot!!

When half of your game day roster must consist of players that came through that draft at one time,
IT MEANS A LOT!

Special teams is an integral part of every team, very important and for every starting NAT. on the field there must be a capable NAT backup for injury purposes

Out of this draft I expect(hope) to get a high end REC, high end DB, and a high end OL

Drew Allemang (Dir. of Canadian Scouting) has been watching and grading these players in the upcoming draft for probably a couple of seasons.
This is his time to shine!
All of our picks from last season were on the roster last season except Scarfone who returned to school in Guelph

Justin Vaughn in the 5th round last year was a steal!!
All true but it isn't as important as it use to be for two reasons. Short term contracts and SMS increasing player movement. Kind of nuts that it takes two years to develop a CIS draft pick and they become free agents right there and then.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

blackandgld

Leroy your post is a real eye opener.
Looking back the past 4 years we have one National starter...WOW.

Out best transaction was trading our 1st for Bomben. Maybe that is the way to go??

ExPat

Leroy your post is a real eye opener.
Looking back the past 4 years we have one National starter...WOW.

Out best transaction was trading our 1st for Bomben. Maybe that is the way to go??
That's why I find it tough to ever get excited about the draft.  I believe the only Cdn starters on our entire roster that were ever drafted by us are Revenberg and Courtney Stephen.

I realize backups and special teams players are important, but I confess I find it hard to get pumped about them. If they turn out to be starter material, they generally end up signing someplace else.  Which is not a total disaster, because we then sign that other team's Cdn free agents.

My #1 hope for the draft is that we trade some of those picks (some, not all) for proven players, rather than investing everything into training our eventual competitors.

of course

I'm sure each team drafts players who they think are capable of starting, but the jump in competition college players experience when they hit the pros is steep. 

I figure if you can draft two players who can make your team/contribute in some significant way each year, you are having a good draft.  If one of those kids starts any amount of games in their first year, you had a great draft.

ottawacat

ExPat

Here's a good article on the tough choices facing GMs at a draft.  American, but still applies to us I think.

Bears GM Wavering Between Drafting Good Player Or Bad Player

“It’s a real toss-up because on one hand, you have a guy with tremendous instincts and athleticism, but on the other, you have an inconsistent, injury-prone question mark from a third-rate program. How do you make that choice?” said Pace, adding that it was almost impossible to weigh the advantages of drafting a perennial Pro Bowler to build the team around against the potential upside of a guaranteed bust. 

stevehvh

Gotta love the Onion.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

blackandgld

OMG, I forgot that site still existed

ottawacat

Why may Montreal draft Chapman #1 overall?

Chapman is said to be a pro-ready, ratio-breaker.

No one could cover him at the CFL combine one on ones.

I heard Chapman interviewed on the radio, and he compares his game to speedy NFL players like Edelman and Amendola.  So he could be another Ben Cahoon-type CFLer.

He would be hard for Hamilton to pass up at #2 if Montreal didn't take him at #1.
While I don't think the Cats are likely hoping to draft Chapman, with their first pick, I do think now is the time to make a trade, with Montreal, if they are.  This article suggests that the Als are most likely to pick an OL as #1 overall and it shouldn't take much, in an offer from Hamilton, to get them to exchange the #1 & #2 picking order, with agreement on who they'll each pick. Montreal would still get the guy they want, with a bonus of somebody, or something, from Hamilton and the TiCats would get ahead of any other team's interest in Chapman.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/28/als-trade-first-overall-pick/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cfl%2FAeqx+%28CFL.ca-Staff-insight%2Cdown%2Cdebate%2Cdraft%2Cgrind%2Cmini+√+%29

bobo82

Okay , much like last year I have once again compiled a list of our Cdn talent currently on the roster .
I've broken it down by position with projected starters asterisked . There is currently a total of 31 Cdn players on the roster pre-draft . Hopefully this will help everybody in determining where our strengths and weaknesses are as well as where our depth is at position by position heading into the draft .

Offence (16 total , 4 projected starters)

wr - Shamawd Chambers *
wr - Mike Jones
wr - Johnny Aprile
wr - Felix Faubert-Lussier
wr - Jacob Scarfone (rookie)
wr - Akeem Haynes (rookie)

rb - Mercer Timmis
rb -  Sean Thomas Erlington

fb - vacant

ol - Mike Filer *
ol - Branden Revenberg *
ol - Ryan Bomben *
ol - Landon Rice
ol - Brett Golding
ol - Braden Schram
ol - Kay Okafor
ol - Everton Williams

Defence ( 13 total , 3 projected starters)

de - Justin Capicciotti *
de - Connor McGough
dt - Ted Laurent *
dt - Justin Vaughan
dt - Jack McEwen (rookie)

lb - Nick Shortill
lb - Geoff Hughes
lb - Terrell Davis
lb - Curtis Newton
lb - Akeem Wonder

db -Courtney Stephen *
db -Mike Daly
db- Jay Langa

Specials

k/p-Lirim Hajrullahu
ls -  Kevin Malcolm

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Grover

This is different, he wants to play in the CFL!

Farhan Lalji‏Verified account
@FarhanLaljiTSN
Canadian OL Trey Rutherford from UConn is declining #NFL mini-camp invited to focus on the #CFLDraft. Ranked #4 on CFL Scouting Bureau rankings. 
With Hunter & Shepley signing UDFA deals in NFL, expect Rutherford to be picked in top 2 on May 3
6:30 PM - 28 Apr 2018

HfxTC

@FarhanLaljiTSN

Canadian OL Trey Rutherford from UConn is declining #NFL mini-camp invited to focus on the #CFLDraft. Ranked #4 on CFL Scouting Bureau rankings.
With Hunter & Shepley signing UDFA deals in NFL, expect Rutherford to be picked in top 2 on May 3
At 22 years of age playing a couple CFL seasons and then taking you shot is probably a better way than taking a Giants mini-camp tryout.

HfxTC

Why may Montreal draft Chapman #1 overall?

Chapman is said to be a pro-ready, ratio-breaker.

No one could cover him at the CFL combine one on ones.

I heard Chapman interviewed on the radio, and he compares his game to speedy NFL players like Edelman and Amendola.  So he could be another Ben Cahoon-type CFLer.

He would be hard for Hamilton to pass up at #2 if Montreal didn't take him at #1.
While I don't think the Cats are likely hoping to draft Chapman, with their first pick, I do think now is the time to make a trade, with Montreal, if they are.  This article suggests that the Als are most likely to pick an OL as #1 overall and it shouldn't take much, in an offer from Hamilton, to get them to exchange the #1 & #2 picking order, with agreement on who they'll each pick. Montreal would still get the guy they want, with a bonus of somebody, or something, from Hamilton and the TiCats would get ahead of any other team's interest in Chapman.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/28/als-trade-first-overall-pick/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cfl%2FAeqx+%28CFL.ca-Staff-insight%2Cdown%2Cdebate%2Cdraft%2Cgrind%2Cmini+√+%29
I don't understand your logic? If Montreal does not take Chapman at one, why would the Ticats trade #2 to get ahead of what other team?

Grover

@FarhanLaljiTSN

There is a good chance MTL would take Rutherford at #1 now, 
Which would leave us REC Chapman at #2

Users Online

103 Guests, 15 Users (14 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
everyman, TravelPat1, Augustus67, SeaFiddle, ticat1, hairyarm, Lyle B. Style, Oskie18, Bigshot, RedandWhite, heapbag, MadJack, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)