j-ski

Looks like William Watson was a steal in the 7th round of the CFL draft by BC.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Practice-report-from-Giants-rookie-minicamp-512/edf086ad-61db-482a-af05-610bb0b2ec1c

1. William Watson – The 5-11, 183-pound tryout receiver from British Columbia isn’t physically impressive, but he showed good hands, route running, and the ability to adjust to the ball in the air. During Saturday’s practice, he caught a nice fade over the shoulder and got both feet in before going out of bounds.

canadianfootballfan

Interesting, unexpected exchange I didn't intend to start.
Of course, I'm not wishing Chapman bad luck in his pursuit of a big league job and paycheque. To put my statement in perspective .... if we learn today that he's signed with the Giants will we, TiCat fans, be saying ..... "That's good news, for us?"
I guess I just took your "good news for us" statement wrong, but again, I was just making a general comment really.  You simply inspired it.

Apologies for any misunderstandings.

blackandgld

I have never gotten the hoping guys fail south of the border thing.  When I wish failure on someone, I keep it to people like sex offenders and murderers.  Not perfectly nice young men with their whole future ahead of them.
Well, I hope the Argos players fail.  Like, all of them.  Badly.

Does that make me a bad person?
I've actually grown somewhat sympathetic towards the Argos in the last couple of years because of their abysmall attendance. They have one of the classiest QBs to ever play the game and have won a couple of recent Cups but Toronto people don't give a rat's arse. Currently I would prefer to see Ottawa and Calgary fail more than the Argos.

But not to derail this thread, if a draft choice has the opportunity to make it in the NFL and earn 10X what he would in the CFL then we should wish them well. Football careers are short and these kids should try to maximize their earning potential. A couple of years in the NFL is more than some of us see in a lifetime.
What did you write...you lost me at "somewhat sympathetic towards the Argos"

ottawacat

I guess I just took your "good news for us" statement wrong, but again, I was just making a general comment really.  You simply inspired it.

Apologies for any misunderstandings.
Thanks cff.  No apology needed on this.  All views expressed, I thought, were good and understandable.  Well, as blackandgld points out ..... maybe not "somewhat sympathetic towards the Argos." ;)

Krisiun

I have never gotten the hoping guys fail south of the border thing.  When I wish failure on someone, I keep it to people like sex offenders and murderers.  Not perfectly nice young men with their whole future ahead of them.
Well, I hope the Argos players fail.  Like, all of them.  Badly.

Does that make me a bad person?
I've actually grown somewhat sympathetic towards the Argos in the last couple of years because of their abysmall attendance. They have one of the classiest QBs to ever play the game and have won a couple of recent Cups but Toronto people don't give a rat's arse. Currently I would prefer to see Ottawa and Calgary fail more than the Argos.

But not to derail this thread, if a draft choice has the opportunity to make it in the NFL and earn 10X what he would in the CFL then we should wish them well. Football careers are short and these kids should try to maximize their earning potential. A couple of years in the NFL is more than some of us see in a lifetime.
What did you write...you lost me at "somewhat sympathetic towards the Argos"
Yeah I know it's almost blasphemy to write that. But unfortunately an Argo team that is not thriving at least in attendance is not healthy for the league. If they ever fold then we won't have the Argos to despise anymore. ;)

Grover

Yeah I know it's almost blasphemy to write that. But unfortunately an Argo team that is not thriving at least in attendance is not healthy for the league. If they ever fold then we won't have the Argos to despise anymore. 
In other words, WE LOVE TO HATE THEM!  :)

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

CFLhal

Yeah I know it's almost blasphemy to write that. But unfortunately an Argo team that is not thriving at least in attendance is not healthy for the league. If they ever fold then we won't have the Argos to despise anymore.
In other words, WE LOVE TO HATE THEM!  :)
There would be no rivalry.  
There is a Montreal/Ottawa rivalry but a Bombers/Ticat rivalry is not the same,  it's not like you can jump on a VIA or GO train to Winnipeg.

Palmer

Yes, but I still have a distaste for the Blue Bombers from the late 50s early 60s, the Jim Trimble/Bud Grant years.

Grover

Palmer

What I don’t get is why the Toronto media coverage, both press and electronic, is so skewed to their three chronic losers, the Leafs, Jays and Raptors.  The two winners, TFC and the Argos are virtually ignored.  TFC gets some coverage when they make a championship run, but even in “good” years, Argo coverage is often about attendance, organizational problems or ownership issues.  Unfortunately, the fan base tends to follow the reporting, despite the media’s claims of the reverse.  Heck, if you read the Toronto papers or watch their noon time sports, they are still talking about the Leafs and the Raptors.

Might be the overlap in ownership between broadcasters and team owners?  Sad.

CFLhal

What I don’t get is why the Toronto media coverage, both press and electronic, is so skewed to their three chronic losers, the Leafs, Jays and Raptors.  The two winners, TFC and the Argos are virtually ignored.  TFC gets some coverage when they make a championship run, but even in “good” years, Argo coverage is often about attendance, organizational problems or ownership issues.  Unfortunately, the fan base tends to follow the reporting, despite the media’s claims of the reverse.  Heck, if you read the Toronto papers or watch their noon time sports, they are still talking about the Leafs and the Raptors.

Might be the overlap in ownership between broadcasters and team owners?  Sad.
Jays and Raptors have both made it to the playoffs the past few years.   The Raptors had the best record ever and made it to the second round,  too bad they went down 4 straight in the second round.
Two years ago the Jays won the American league east.
It's easy to criticize but when you have so many teams in the league it's tough to make the playoffs every year.
As for the Leafs?   I don't understand why people follow them but I'm not a hockey fan and don't understand how anyone could enjoy hockey!!
I love football,  I like soccer and looking forward to the World Cup coming up in June and I like the Jays and Raptors.

I can understand the lack of coverage for the Argos,  not too many people follow them.  
But it will be interesting to see how their attendance is after coming off of a Grey Cup year and the reduced ticket prices.  The Argos are selling individual game tickets now,  normally teams don't sell them until June.

Krisiun

What I don’t get is why the Toronto media coverage, both press and electronic, is so skewed to their three chronic losers, the Leafs, Jays and Raptors.  The two winners, TFC and the Argos are virtually ignored.
That probably has to do with ratings. Toronto fans want to be big league and think CFL is bush league. I have a friend who watches NFL and thought that all the CFL players are CIS kids, thereby making the CFL 2nd rate. Most people never even heard of the ratio rule.

Krisiun

No. 1 CFL draft pick, receiver Mark Chapman not offered contract from New York Giants

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/14/no-1-cfl-draft-pick-receiver-mark-chapman-not-offered-contract-new-york-giants/
He might be a little small for an NFL receiver. But I think he will fit in perfectly in the June Jones offence. Having Chapman and Chambers as ratio busters will allow more flexibility. It's all looking pretty good right now. :)

Users Online

101 Guests, 12 Users (12 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
heapbag, Grover, Onemoredork, KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, SeaFiddle, pdson2, slowhand, Slomojo2005, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)