Beam reach

Frank Cosentino used to come off the bench and relieve Joe Zuger at QB for the Ti-Cats .It worked out well for us back then.
   Why couldn't a QB come into the game off the bench to relieve the starting QB and have success with fresh legs and arm ? (like a relief pitcher )
   Progressive thinking or classic nostalgia ?
    Sounds like better entertainment value to me...

CatsFaninOttawa

I'm a year or two too young to remember Cosentino, so I'm wondering, did he come in only when the game was in control or out of hand, or did he come in at random times during close games?

TeddyFay

They used to bring in Mazoli a few years ago to relieve Collars as well.  He would run a wildcat offense for a few series to get the defense off guard.  Worked for a while.  Mazoli and Manziel both have a similar style so it wouldn't be as effective now.

Beam reach

Frank Cosentino came in when the game was close ,either up or down points.
  I was a teenager so my perception was Cosentino was a bigger body and the change in style worked out for us frequently .
   With two strong QB's ,even with similar style I think it's a no brainer to use both ,they have different strengths .Why not use both in a game when we have this bonus of two good QB's?
   I know with some coaches this is a no starter , with Austin and The Little General it was a definite non starter.... 
   I see more entertainment for the fans of both QB's ,a stronger team with two QB's getting playing time without taking away the win at all cost factor which is all important but can be achieved with two star QB's while entertaining us fans across N. America.

ottawacat

They used to bring in Mazoli a few years ago to relieve Collars as well.  He would run a wildcat offense for a few series to get the defense off guard.  Worked for a while.  Mazoli and Manziel both have a similar style so it wouldn't be as effective now.
I completely agree with you, Teddy. 

Balticfox

Frank Cosentino used to come off the bench and relieve Joe Zuger at QB for the Ti-Cats .It worked out well for us back then.
I'm afraid that Joe Zuger and Frank Cosentino might have lost a step over the years but I'd still be willing to give them a try at the helm. Who knows, they might have a lot left to offer and provide Tiger-Cat fans with a welcome surprise and opponents with a nasty one.

:)
Radically Canadian!

Tipper

8) The 2 QB system has flourished over the years in the CFL.

Always remember the old days when Tommy Clements and Conredege Holloway shared duties in 
    Ottawa.  Then in Toronto with Holloway and Joe Barnes !!

Worked good in those old days, so no reason why it couldn't still work, with the right kind of QB's

ExPat

Can anyone name an example from the past 30 years?

Beam reach

True ,thirty years ago the CFL had more talent at the QB position before the NFL increased roster size or just took more QB's on their roster .Thirty years ago African American QB's were CFL QB's or running backs so yes things have changed with the CFL losing out on talent the last few decades.
But we have two skilled QB's today, that is the difference , exit the Dinosaur thinking ,welcome the entertaining while still winning/competing .

hendy77

LeFevour used to come in all the time for packages as well.
Legs Feed the Wolf!

J_15

Yep and we did it with Porter as well

Grover

Yes, LeFevour would come in for Burris,  much to his chagrin! ;)

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Espo

Yes, LeFevour would come in for Burris,  much to his chagrin! ;)
Thought those packages were mostly when Glenn was here.  I seem to remember that East Semi-final in Montreal featuring a large amount of LeFevour packages. 

*pre posting edit*  that was for Burris, I was thinking of the 2011 East Semi in MTL where Quinton Porter kept coming in for a series here or there. **
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

canadianfootballfan

Quinton Porter was one of the most inconsistent players in CFL history, but one part of his game that never missed was his 1st down plunges and outside runs.  He may very well be the best short yardage QB in CFL history.  He never missed the 1st down.  He was incredibly mobile for a guy that's 6'5" 230lbs.

Isn't it worth keeping a guy that gets guaranteed 1st downs?  But I guess later on his salary was starter-level, which is too much for a short yardage only guy.

Onemoredork

Back then nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "5 bees for a quarter?" we used to say.
Anyway , we took the train to Argo games with onions tied to our belts...

Users Online

96 Guests, 11 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rshmglsky, Katmandu, 97valkyrie, KevinRiley2, cividan, MadJack, disciplineandpunish, Taleback, DisplacedCatsFan, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)