Aerial

Hamilton and area is too complicated IMHO for someone like the current Mayor and probably some on council as well.  Hopefully new more energized and intelligent blood will be elected.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

-Hammer-

I doubt you'll see Eisenberger turfed next election, barring a major scandal. Most people don't have the popularity to win back a seat after being removed from it, but Fred clearly does.

The question I would pose is who could run an have a realistic chance of beating him? Larry Di Ianni likely won't, he's pushing 70 years and didn't run last year. Brad Clark I suppose has a shot, but I don't think he can draw enough of the electorate as he did not manage it last year. Eisenberger won the last election by 8.4% of the vote running a similar but more restrained version of Brian McHattie's platform who also captured 20% of the vote. I think any of the candidates who tried to run as MP or MPPs are viable, and I don't see any current MP or MPPs coming back down from Parliment or Queen's Park.

I also don't see anyone on the current city council with realistic mayor aspirations and a broad enough popularity across the city as a whole to make a challenge. Also with Skelly and Partridge running for higher office, Merulla saying not in a million years, perpetually incumbent Tom Jackson (who has held office since 1988 ) isn't likely to run and A. Johnson and Green are new to the scene...that's already 1/3rd of the council effectively out of the picture, and I doubt any of the rural ward candidates will have enough appeal to make a run at mayor, I don't see any lower city candidate having a major issue with how Eisenberger is running things for them to make a run, the only ones I can conceive are a mountain councillor running because they don't feel comfortable winning their newly shuffled wards so they may as well go for broke, but that's pretty much Terry Whitehead (who MANY in this city both rural and urban take issue with), Doug Conley (who I honestly don't know enough to judge, which isn't a good sign) and Tom Jackson, who once again, would have already run for mayor if he was interested.

What you may see though, is because the OMB has recently redrawn the city wards, you might see council deadlock lessen and the dynamic change a bit next year. Hamilton has always been split between urban and rural/suburban lines. However, with the wards being redrawn that changes things. For one, you are going to have a new mountain ward, which in theory means a bigger suburban voice. However other wards are getting shaken up, which could mean candidates getting turfed in the new structure.

For the most part, the pro Ti-Cats side of the stadium debate was mainly the suburban side, so in theory that should benefit the team. That said, that was for the location being at a predominantly drive to and from location. A much different beast then a Grey Cup bid, where simply put, will have a very limited involvement in the suburbs because of stadium and facility locations. All the big parks, convention halls, transit routes and the stadium itself are all in the lower city. A Festival that uses taxpayer dollars usually doesn't sit will with the suburban vote (as suburban councillors have consistently balked at Supercrawl funding and transit improvements which you need).

It's typically been the urban voters who favour that kind of spending. That said, that is also the same urban voter who has been leery of the Cats because of how the stadium debate went down, and generally favours the private sector fronting the majority of the costs unless you can show direct public benefit.

Either way though, hopefully council is in for a shake-up and we get a council who sees value in a Grey Cup bid, assuming the Cat's management don't screw that up too. They haven't exactly been batting 1.00 either.

-Hammer-

There will be an election this year on Oct. 22,

Mayor Fred has already said he will run again, and the dysfunctional Council will in all probability all be re-elected as usual.  :-[
I know I already mentioned it, but at least two members of council won't be present, Donna Skelly and Judi Partridge who are both running for MPP positions, so I believe they aren't seeking re-election.

Also with the ward realignment, it seems unlikely Robert Pasuta will get relected. His ward has been split into two parts with other wards now added into each side of the split.

On one end is Ancaster and Lloyd Ferguson. He has been a perpetual powerhouse incumbent there (close to 80% of the electorate). If he runs (and there really is no indication that he won't) that 80% alone is more then all of Pasuta's current, non-split ward as it stands right now.

On the other side, is Dundas where  he's got a better chance vs Arlene VanderBeek who got in with only 42% of the vote. That said, Ward 13 had 10,000 more people then Pasuta's old Ward 14 before it was split into two. Not saying he doesn't have a chance here, but it doesn't seem likely.

We'll also have another mountain councillor, and a shuffle on the mountain which may put Doug Conley (who was in a close race last election), Maria Pearson and Brenda Johnson all in a bit of a bind. Also Ward 1 was close last election, and may change.

That said, I'd expect the rest of the city to mainly stay incumbent. Every other councillor has posted absurd 65+ percent victories save Matt Green who doubled up his next closest competition and was the clear standout amongst a massive list of candidates. Hamilton has an incumbency rate that would make Red US States jealous.

Aerial

Hammer wrote:
I doubt you'll see Eisenberger turfed next election, barring a major scandal. 
Some might say the LRT issue, particularly with it seemingly going ahead, is a major scandal.   ;)

Good reads!

FormerlyTurkish

The so called stadium precinct is a disaster.  They expropriated land next to the stadium to put what was there before..a high school. That lot used to be tailgate central.  If memory serves me correct the Scott Park lot was tented for GC festivities last time we hosted. There has been no private investment in and around the precinct.   The area has a high violent crime rate and parking is two former industrial lots where sth have a good walk thru said areas.  I dont know how you can make money on the GC.   The local politicos treat THF like their own playpen....disaster

Aerial

Gage Park isn't far away, 2 km on Google Maps and many people park around Gage Park for Cats games,  and hosts concerts with many thousands of spectators as well as craft vendors during music events, pony rides and that some years and other kids fair type rides.

Perfect location for certain GC festivities with an awesome backdrop of the Niagara Escarpment.

Hammertown Proud

don't be posting things like that.

FormerlyTurkish is much more correct with that scary walk between Barton St parking and the three blocks to the stadium.

So scary (and violent, lol).

Bring Hamilton the Grey Cup. All those complaining (and scared) will still attend....

Aerial

From Google Maps, THF 2.0 kms from Gage Park as I was mentioning above.  Gage Park is the large green space on the bottom left adjacent to the Niagara Escarpment just below it while THF is at the upper left.  Centre Mall is at the upper right where you have the Beer Store, Liquor Store, Metro, Canadian Tire etc:

So scary my wife and myself have walked to games from both Centre Mall and Gage Park at night and we are still alive, believe it or not!  No one has ever  asked for money unlike some downtown areas in large Canadian cities that has been my experience.  8)

ExPat

Is Gage Park somehow shielded from freezing temperatures in late November?  Sounds like a long time to be outside for people planning to sit at a football game for four hours.  Or for that matter, people looking to enjoy themselves in the days leading up to the game.  Indoor options would certainly be the preference for most.

Aerial

There is a fairly large greenhouse at Gage Park now (not sure how suitable this would be with a GC though) with future additions as below, not sure of the time frame on this.  When I was at the Grey Cup in Montreal when the Stamps won, they had large heated indoor tents set up for music events:

Grover

Is Gage Park somehow shielded from freezing temperatures in late November?  Sounds like a long time to be outside for people planning to sit at a football game for four hours.  Or for that matter, people looking to enjoy themselves in the days leading up to the game.  Indoor options would certainly be the preference for most.
Perhaps they could pipe all that Hot Air that rises out of City Hall and send it East over to THF and Gage Park for the Grey Cup Week.  8)

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

FormerlyTurkish

I myself always park on Gage near the park.  That walk is fine but space is limited.  Not sure its feasable to use the park for festivities then expect people to walk to the stadium.  where do they park prior to and realistically how many are going to want to do that.  Now the walk from Lincoln street is another matter.  A sth friend with club seats and assigned parking on Lincoln not impressed

Since seating would have to be added likely in south end zone block off Cannon and whatever you can of the new construction and make it all part of the stadium grounds.

Not worried about pan handlers but  I would bet a heat map would show an over represented amount of murders in the hammer occur within say 1.5 miles of the 55 yard line.

letsgoticats

I myself always park on Gage near the park.  That walk is fine but space is limited.  Not sure its feasable to use the park for festivities then expect people to walk to the stadium.  where do they park prior to and realistically how many are going to want to do that.  Now the walk from Lincoln street is another matter.  A sth friend with club seats and assigned parking on Lincoln not impressed

Since seating would have to be added likely in south end zone block off Cannon and whatever you can of the new construction and make it all part of the stadium grounds.

Not worried about pan handlers but  I would bet a heat map would show an over represented amount of murders in the hammer occur within say 1.5 miles of the 55 yard line.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1O7VSqhuOKLP5020bmQVV7yEX_XY&hl=en_US&ll=43.26597377449803%2C-79.79969872179754&z=12

There's a map of the 22 murders that occurred in 2016 + 2017.   Stoney Creek has 3 pins on the map, including a triple homicide in 2016.  Should we classify that as the most dangerous part of town?

Do you normally fear for your life when walking around town?

Aerial

FormerlyTurkish wrote:
where do they park prior to and realistically how many are going to want to do that
For Festival of Friends and It's Your Festival at Gage Park, they use the area near the baseball diamond and Rosedale lawn bowling for parking, it's great and a fairly large area for parking.  You just come off of Lawrence Ave, a breeze.  We park there and pay a nominal fee for the music festivals since they are free festivals and it goes to support the event.

The day of the GC I think Gage Park could be used for some music prior and school buses to take those who can't walk to the game as I appreciate 2 kms of walking isn't for everyone.  The school buses could be used to transport people for the downtown area with the hotels to Gage Park as well.  Hey, buses transport people from Toronto to Buffalo for Bills games, World Juniors so I think buses can do the job in Hamilton with very short distances.   8) The days prior do some large heated tents for entertainment around James St. N. where Supercrawl happens since that's where the hotels are, would work perfectly.  And work it with the Supercrawl people who are connected to the music industry.

Users Online

78 Guests, 6 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, oo DAWG oo, 6ft6ofgoodness, pdson2, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)