Hammertown Proud

2ez

Just in my lifetime Hamilton has transformed which is essentially the time since we last hosted ... downtown is still a little rough for sure but they've been doing a great job revamping the buildings, I notice a new storefront anytime I head downtown and I live in the North End so that's pretty frequent - James Street is thriving. I believe in ten years people won't recognize the downtown core, or at least that's my hope and they seem to be on track.

I can't speak to the last Grey Cup, but from my knowledge we never hosted because number one, our stadium was about to fall apart, and two, hotel space is always brought up as an issue. They've built some new hotels downtown and I know a few teams have chosen to stay in Burlington which is also an option for fans. Hotels may be tight but I think it'd be less of an issue than it seems. There are plenty of hotels in the area, I'm not sure how the math breaks down for this type of thing but if they can host a game in Regina or Winnipeg then I've never seen why they can't host here due to hotel room. Then of course THF is not about to fall apart, and it was one of the major whole selling points that Hamilton will host the Grey Cup, they even had mock up graphics and everything with the expanded seating.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g154990-Hamilton_Ontario-Hotels.html

As for how many people they can fit...I can see 40,000 sellout but it'd be a nightmare to set up. THF is a small stadium and I think only way they can do it is if they quarrel everybody in the temps seats and set up food trucks or temp concessions/beer stands because THF is already way to packed when you've got a 24,000 sellout (Not sure if this is common practice with temp seating). Realistically I'd aim for around 34,000 which is an extra 10 grand in the park... I'm not sure if they'd make money but this city loves football and everybody knows we never host the Grey Cup, it'd definitely be a big deal and selling tickets at a reasonable price wouldn't be an issue. Kevin mentioned $400 a ticket which is insane, realistically you sell the temps for 80-100$ then start at 125-150$ for the corners then work your way up from there. Hamilton is not as poor as people like to make it out to be, there's tons of money floating around the Mountain, Stoney Creek, Winona, Ancaster, even the North End has some money flowing into the area now. Then you add in Burlington and Grimsby and Oakville and Niagara and then probably even Guelph and Waterloo ... Cats fanbase spreads far and wide in Southern Ontario and people have money, that I'm very confident in. 

2019 seems like the perfect year to do it since it's the 150th anniversary for the team, which is amazing when you consider we just celebrated the country's 150th birthday this year. If they had that to latch onto for marketing purposes it'd be a slam dunk for ticket sales, but still I don't know if they make money, or if they're willing to bite the bullet for one season and hope at the very least to break even. I think our fans deserve it we've waited so long, the fact we've only hosted two in the last 45 years is ridiculous and don't bring up Toronto Grey Cups because that's just not the same - we f****** hate those guys we want to hold the grandest party of them all in our barn not theirs.

Then. Of course. There's the city council issue and whatever legal b.s they're festering in now ... I honestly forget most of the details surrounding the case but for the love of god please just figure it out. If they can't solve that issue, than it's all for not. 

johnnycfl

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

Assuming Hamilton does host, how many seats do you believe they could sell, at what average ticket price, and what kind of profit (if any) would they see?
Why not use the Ottawa/OSEG model - they took a 24k stadium, expanded to 36k for the Grey Cup, I think tickets averaged around $300 in the stadium and $150 for the temp end zone seats.
Ottawa did a fantastic job this year,  they marketed the Grey Cup and the locals didn't seem to care that the RBs weren't in it.
The question for Hamilton is,  would fans come out in the cold weather without the Tiger-cats being there?

johnnycfl

The Ticats should host the 2019 GC  (what else would they be waiting for...global warming?) It's the 150th Anniversary of the team's incorporation in a room above George Lee’s Fruit Store in 1869, when the Hamilton Foot Ball Club was formed. (They were certainly one of the earliest football team's ever, long predating U.S. city football teams and even before the English Rugby Football Union was created.)

I'd suggest adding one 8,000-seat temporary grandstand, bringing total attendance to 32,000. Grey Cup's today could no more have a deficit than a man could have a baby.
One of the biggest problems is Hotel accommodations.
The Media, etc. would pretty much take all the acceptable nearby Hotels

It could be the first all Air B&B Grey Cup in history
But the region has thousands of hotel rooms, if you include the GTA and Niagara.
I just looked at "Hotels in Hamilton"  on the Trivago site and the "Captain Obvious" site and a total of maybe 1,000 rooms.   But fans could  drive in from Toronto, Oakville, QEW corridor, Niagara.  It's not like Hamilton is hard to get to,  it's on the main highway between Toronto and Niagara.

Or the majority of fans could be local just like in Ottawa this year.
Combine with an NHL outdoor game if possible,  I'm sure the Sabres or Leafs would love to play in front of 36k plus.

KevinRiley2

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

Assuming Hamilton does host, how many seats do you believe they could sell, at what average ticket price, and what kind of profit (if any) would they see?
Why not use the Ottawa/OSEG model - they took a 24k stadium, expanded to 36k for the Grey Cup, I think tickets averaged around $300 in the stadium and $150 for the temp end zone seats.
Ottawa did a fantastic job this year,  they marketed the Grey Cup and the locals didn't seem to care that the RBs weren't in it.
The question for Hamilton is,  would fans come out in the cold weather without the Tiger-cats being there?
At $300 a ticket, I'm not sure Ticat fans would come out even if the Ticats were in the game. 

Anyway, using Ottawa as a model is GREAT idea.  I just hope it works.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

FormerlyTurkish

ottawa was able to pro rate the stadium seating for the nhl game. In the Hammer we dont have that luxury.  temp seating for a single event would be costly.  And...once again how do you make money in and around the venue when its in a terrible spot to do those extras and the City politicos are dunderheads.  Run Bob run!

KevinRiley2

Run Bob run!
I agree.  Given the fact that the Ticats have never hosted a Grey Cup in the Bob Young era, I assume he does, too.

letsgoticats

Run Bob run!
I agree.  Given the fact that the Ticats have never hosted a Grey Cup in the Bob Young era, I assume he does, too.
The Ticats haven't had a stadium capable of hosting the Grey Cup in the Bob Young era.  Ivor Wynne was falling apart, and Tim Hortons Field is stuck in legal limbo.  We won't know if your assumption is right until the legal issues are settled.  

brianjoxx

Run Bob run!
I agree.  Given the fact that the Ticats have never hosted a Grey Cup in the Bob Young era, I assume he does, too.
The Ticats haven't had a stadium capable of hosting the Grey Cup in the Bob Young era.  Ivor Wynne was falling apart, and Tim Hortons Field is stuck in legal limbo.  We won't know if your assumption is right until the legal issues are settled.  
could you explain legal limbo. thanks

Aerial

Saw this a few weeks ago on CBS news, interesting.  An owner with a social vision and a reason why putting stadiums in areas that may be bordered by some low income and delapitated housing and social aspects may be the exact right thing to do for a community.  Video is worth watching, just over 6 minutes.  While the area surrounding Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton isn't nearly as bad as some of the areas around Mercedes-Benz Stadium, it does make me think, more and more, Hamilton really did get it right in the long run even though no direct comparisons can be made between MBS in Atlanta and THF in Hamilton.  Mercedes Benz Stadium is hosting the Super Bowl so I would think that while THF may be a bit further from downtown than MBS is from downtown Atlanta, with the right mix of cooperation between the City of Hamilton and the CFL and the TiCats, a GC should be doable.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank has built his team into a championship contender, and he's also been the driving force behind the construction of a world-class stadium for them to play in. But Blank isn't finished with his rebuilding plan. He hopes the stadium can be a catalyst for change in the surrounding neighborhood. Dana Jacobson reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/atlanta-falcons-hope-new-stadium-can-boost-surrounding-community/
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

letsgoticats

Run Bob run!
The Ticats haven't had a stadium capable of hosting the Grey Cup in the Bob Young era.  Ivor Wynne was falling apart, and Tim Hortons Field is stuck in legal limbo.  We won't know if your assumption is right until the legal issues are settled.  
could you explain legal limbo. thanks
Here's a quick summary:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/stadium-lawsuit-continues-1.4180736
https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7208036-no-grey-cup-bid-until-stadium-legal-issues-solved/

It's been stated that they won't bid on a Grey Cup until these issues are resolved.  

Aerial

Mayor Fred?  Ok, agree, no Grey Cup in Hamilton for a very long time IMHO as Fred and Bob are like water and oil.  I mean, have these 2 even ever spoken to each other?  I doubt it.  Bob uses the useless Scott Mitchell who doesn't have a clue to do so and Fred uses whomever, as long as he doesn't have to speak to Bob face to face.  They really don't like each other.

it's a disaster in Hamilton for a Grey Cup.

burnsy99

so many negative posters on this board. Why wouldn't a Hamilton Grey Cup make money? They just drew 45k for the world juniours in Buffalo filled with Canadian fans. Why couldn't they get 40k for the Grey Cup? I mean they average that for baseball of all things in Tranna. If they can do it for that drab sport WHY would Grey Cup be a tough sell?

Aerial

Hamilton is one weird place right now with Fred and Bob "in power".  ;)

The only thing I hope is that the two don't end up in a ring fighting each other which would end up like we have now, a total disaster.

With this toxic environment in Hamilton, don't expect a Grey Cup here in a very long time.  The politics in Hamilton are brutal enough let alone a Mayor and a CFL owner that have a hate-on for each other.

The only thing more toxic in Hamilton may be Hamilton Harbour and what lies on the bottom of the lake near the steel factories that are beyond repair from decades after decades of toxic dumping.  

This being said, Hamilton has so much to offer in beautiful hiking and walking trails in various environments, a good university and music and cultural life along with sports and various smaller outlying communities that really add so much to the region in many ways.  It would be a shame if Hamilton and the Cats were not able to host a GC due to some ongoing issues, legal or otherwise.

Grover

There will be an election this year on Oct. 22,

Mayor Fred has already said he will run again, and the dysfunctional Council will in all probability all be re-elected as usual.  :-[

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Users Online

66 Guests, 7 Users (8 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pdson2, oo DAWG oo, KevinRiley2, Augustus67, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)