Xvys

The Ticats should host the 2019 GC  (what else would they be waiting for...global warming?) It's the 150th Anniversary of the team's incorporation in a room above George Lee’s Fruit Store in 1869, when the Hamilton Foot Ball Club was formed. (They were certainly one of the earliest football team's ever, long predating U.S. city football teams and even before the English Rugby Football Union was created.)

I'd suggest adding one 8,000-seat temporary grandstand, bringing total attendance to 32,000. Grey Cup's today could no more have a deficit than a man could have a baby. 

Grover

The Ticats should host the 2019 GC  (what else would they be waiting for...global warming?) It's the 150th Anniversary of the team's incorporation in a room above George Lee’s Fruit Store in 1869, when the Hamilton Foot Ball Club was formed. (They were certainly one of the earliest football team's ever, long predating U.S. city football teams and even before the English Rugby Football Union was created.)

I'd suggest adding one 8,000-seat temporary grandstand, bringing total attendance to 32,000. Grey Cup's today could no more have a deficit than a man could have a baby.
One of the biggest problems is Hotel accommodations.
The Media, etc. would pretty much take all the acceptable nearby Hotels

It could be the first all Air B&B Grey Cup in history

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

KevinRiley2

The Ticats should host the 2019 GC  (what else would they be waiting for...global warming?) It's the 150th Anniversary of the team's incorporation in a room above George Lee’s Fruit Store in 1869, when the Hamilton Foot Ball Club was formed. (They were certainly one of the earliest football team's ever, long predating U.S. city football teams and even before the English Rugby Football Union was created.)

I'd suggest adding one 8,000-seat temporary grandstand, bringing total attendance to 32,000. Grey Cup's today could no more have a deficit than a man could have a baby.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/health/trans-man-pregnancy-dad-trnd/index.html

There is a reason Bob Young has not hosted a Cup in 15 years.
He knows its success is iffy.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

CFL2USA

Could they pair it with another big drawing event so that the cost of the temporary seating could be spread over multiple events, sort of like Ottawa did with the Grey Cup and Ottawa Senators game? Perhaps a big stadium concert like Ed Sheerhan or a neutral site NHL game.  I've been to a Ti-Cats game at THF.  I thought it was a nice venue.  It would be a shame if they couldn't host a Grey Cup there, IMO.

depopulationINC

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

Assuming Hamilton does host, how many seats do you believe they could sell, at what average ticket price, and what kind of profit (if any) would they see?
It has been just over 20 years since Hamilton hosted a cup, and the hosted to just under 40 000 then (38 595).  Are you suggesting that the interest in football and/or the population has decreased in that time?  Otherwise, I see no reason they could not sell to around 40 000.

Also, if they are having a respectable season then they do not have to actually charge a minimum of 100 per seat (which is doable anyways).  Staging around 10000 of them for the LDC and filling them provides some solid extra funding.  When the Riders hosted in 2013 it was a big reason for their fiscall success....they added seats through the season, not just the GC.

KevinRiley2

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

Assuming Hamilton does host, how many seats do you believe they could sell, at what average ticket price, and what kind of profit (if any) would they see?
It has been just over 20 years since Hamilton hosted a cup, and the hosted to just under 40 000 then (38 595).  Are you suggesting that the interest in football and/or the population has decreased in that time?  Otherwise, I see no reason they could not sell to around 40 000.

Also, if they are having a respectable season then they do not have to actually charge a minimum of 100 per seat (which is doable anyways).  Staging around 10000 of them for the LDC and filling them provides some solid extra funding.  When the Riders hosted in 2013 it was a big reason for their fiscall success....they added seats through the season, not just the GC.
I`d be thrilled to be wrong.  But, like I said, there`s a reason Hamilton has not hosted a Grey Cup in 20 years.

KevinRiley2

Could they pair it with another big drawing event so that the cost of the temporary seating could be spread over multiple events, sort of like Ottawa did with the Grey Cup and Ottawa Senators game? Perhaps a big stadium concert like Ed Sheerhan or a neutral site NHL game.  I've been to a Ti-Cats game at THF.  I thought it was a nice venue.  It would be a shame if they couldn't host a Grey Cup there, IMO.
It's a shame.  I just think the people of Southern Ontario are a LOT of talk - the say they want a Grey Cup, and they do, but on their own terms/prices.  If the tickets are expensive, I don't see them buying 40K seats.  I think we'd be lucky to sell 25K.

depopulationINC

It has been just over 20 years since Hamilton hosted a cup, and the hosted to just under 40 000 then (38 595).  Are you suggesting that the interest in football and/or the population has decreased in that time?  Otherwise, I see no reason they could not sell to around 40 000.

Also, if they are having a respectable season then they do not have to actually charge a minimum of 100 per seat (which is doable anyways).  Staging around 10000 of them for the LDC and filling them provides some solid extra funding.  When the Riders hosted in 2013 it was a big reason for their fiscall success....they added seats through the season, not just the GC.
I`d be thrilled to be wrong.  But, like I said, there`s a reason Hamilton has not hosted a Grey Cup in 20 years.
Indeed.  They played in a facility past its shelf-life. 
There is also a reason they were immediately interested in hosting once the new stadium was up, but pulled their bid because of the unfortunate legal turmoil.

Hammertown Proud

Kevin, simple question.

Do you think the economic state of Hamilton is the same today as it was 20 years ago?

KevinRiley2

Kevin, simple question.

Do you think the economic state of Hamilton is the same today as it was 20 years ago?
Answer : No.

Again, I HOPE/PRAY that I am wrong.  I hope they sell 60K seats.  I just don't see it.

brianjoxx

I think people are referring to 1996 as a reason why not to host it. That season, the CFL was in a very dark place and that game many thought would have been the last ever. Not a great selling feature.

Toronto had a bad turnout in 1992 and people said the same things to stay away only to host 2 very sucessful ones in 2007 and 2012 before ***ing the 2016 game. If tickets were reasonable from the start, it woule have been fine.

Going back to Hamilton, the legal fight is keeping the hosting duties away and I don't see it being resolved anytime soon.

If it can't be resolved then put 2019 in Vancouver and use it as a tool to accelerate a sale there.
Great Call

Hammertown Proud

Kevin, simple question.

Again, I HOPE/PRAY that I am wrong.  I hope they sell 60K seats.  I just don't see it.
My memory isn't the best, but, weren't you the one suggesting that the area around Copps Coliseum is scary and dangerous?

My thoughts are you are not up to date with the current state of the city. Do you currently live in Hamilton?

KevinRiley2

Kevin, simple question.

Again, I HOPE/PRAY that I am wrong.  I hope they sell 60K seats.  I just don't see it.
My memory isn't the best, but, weren't you the one suggesting that the area around Copps Coliseum is scary and dangerous?

My thoughts are you are not up to date with the current state of the city. Do you currently live in Hamilton?
Re : "My memory isn't the best, but, weren't you the one suggesting that the area around Copps Coliseum is scary and dangerous?"

LOL. I don't think I did.

Re : "My thoughts are you are not up to date with the current state of the city. Do you currently live in Hamilton?"

I live in Niagara.  Like I said, I HOPE I am wrong.  I hope the people of Hamilton grab up the tickets and sell out the Grey Cup twice over.  I just wouldn't bet on it.

Hammertown Proud

Please accept my apologies.

It was BillyDee87 who made the comment "Too big arena built in a downtown core neighbourhood that is borderline ghetto, with restrictive access and parking.  Parking is not free and is not concentrated around the event."

There are many folks who grew up in Hamilton, but left in the last five years....and don't know what the city has evolved into.

I've only been here for just under 40 years, but the last 5 years has been the best development this city has seen in the last 40.

KevinRiley2

Please accept my apologies.

It was BillyDee87 who made the comment "Too big arena built in a downtown core neighbourhood that is borderline ghetto, with restrictive access and parking.  Parking is not free and is not concentrated around the event."

There are many folks who grew up in Hamilton, but left in the last five years....and don't know what the city has evolved into.

I've only been here for just under 40 years, but the last 5 years has been the best development this city has seen in the last 40.
Fair enough.  Again, I would be thrilled to be wrong and for you to be right.

Users Online

74 Guests, 2 Users (19 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pianoman8849, Grover, Google (17), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)