KevinRiley2

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

Assuming Hamilton does host, how many seats do you believe they could sell, at what average ticket price, and what kind of profit (if any) would they see?

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

If I am Bob Young, I pass on hosting because I don't think it can make money.

If I get stuck hosting it, I don't add any additional seats and I charge the moon for the 24,000.  I'd have an average ticket price of $400 which would mean $10,000,000 in ticket revenue, and I pray the SRR get in the game.

I also know it could blow up in my face and I could end up losing my shirt.

Last, I hope it helps the Season Ticket sales.

Vermonter

The SkyDome was rockin when the Argos won the 100th Grey Cup in 2012. 

So if Toronto or Hamilton make it.... 

cflisthebest

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

Assuming Hamilton does host, how many seats do you believe they could sell, at what average ticket price, and what kind of profit (if any) would they see?
I don't think you know what you are talking about.  Hamilton loves their team, it'll sell fast and they wont have any issues.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!

KevinRiley2

According to Wiki, 'To date, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are the only club that has publicly expressed interest in hosting the (2019 Grey Cup).'  'Should the Tiger-Cats host the game, temporary seating would be installed with the goal to raise seating capacity to 40,000.'

If the Ticat's host the Grey Cup, they will have 24,000 built in seats.  According to the Ticats, any additional seats will cost about $100 each to install, so they will have to charge north of $100 for each seat just to break even.

I don't believe the Ticats could sell 40,000 seats - if you thought the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup was ugly, Hamilton would be worse.  TBH, I'm not sure they could break 30,000 - especially if they are well priced.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.  Hamilton loves their team, it'll sell fast and they wont have any issues.
I know a lot more about the fan base than you do.  I remember Hamilton Grey Cups where they were practically giving tickets away at Tim Hortons - there is a reason we have not hosted one in 21 years.  

They also assumed easy sales in Toronto in 2016.  How did that turn out?

KevinRiley2

Hamilton is NOT a rich town.  If the ticket prices resemble the 2016 Toronto Grey Cup, they will go unsold.  Like I said, if I am Bob Young, I sell the rights to someone else and pocket the $$$.

Vermonter

There's always that slim chance that Toronto and Hamilton could meet in the Grey Cup.  ;)

letsgoticats

How does a team "get stuck" hosting?  They'd have to bid on it.  If they bid, clearly they think they can make money.  

Regardless, the answer is no.  Stadium legal issues won't be sorted in time to win the 2019 Grey Cup bid even if they want it.  

Mightygoose

I think people are referring to 1996 as a reason why not to host it. That season, the CFL was in a very dark place and that game many thought would have been the last ever. Not a great selling feature.

Toronto had a bad turnout in 1992 and people said the same things to stay away only to host 2 very sucessful ones in 2007 and 2012 before ***ing the 2016 game. If tickets were reasonable from the start, it woule have been fine.

Going back to Hamilton, the legal fight is keeping the hosting duties away and I don't see it being resolved anytime soon.

If it can't be resolved then put 2019 in Vancouver and use it as a tool to accelerate a sale there.

Grover

With Hamilton's luck in these things, They will be awarded the 2019 Grey Cup and the League will go on strike for the 2019 season.  :-[  :-[

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

-Hammer-

I doubt the legal issues with the Stadium will be resolved by then, and to be honest, while it does coincide with the 150 anniversary of the team, I think you need to have it out west a few times before hosting. I think a lot of CFL fans are tapped out with Southern Ontario having done Toronto and Ottawa back to back, and while I love my city, I have no illusions that people would rather visit the capitals before us.

If we do end up hosting, will it make money? I think the fact Hamilton hasn't had a cup in ages and that will drive local sales, but Hamilton is not Regina. You aren't going to fill 40,000 with Ti-Cat fans, even they do make the cup. If it makes money, it will be because ticket prices were kept reasonable which will make it an easier away crowd decision. If it doesn't it will be because they priced similar to Ottawa (which I think they could have gotten away with a higher price frankly) or Toronto.

KevinRiley2

I doubt the legal issues with the Stadium will be resolved by then, and to be honest, while it does coincide with the 150 anniversary of the team, I think you need to have it out west a few times before hosting. I think a lot of CFL fans are tapped out with Southern Ontario having done Toronto and Ottawa back to back, and while I love my city, I have no illusions that people would rather visit the capitals before us.

If we do end up hosting, will it make money? I think the fact Hamilton hasn't had a cup in ages and that will drive local sales, but Hamilton is not Regina. You aren't going to fill 40,000 with Ti-Cat fans, even they do make the cup. If it makes money, it will be because ticket prices were kept reasonable which will make it an easier away crowd decision. If it doesn't it will be because they priced similar to Ottawa (which I think they could have gotten away with a higher price frankly) or Toronto.
Well said.

My guess, Bob Young does not want to host the Cup.  Just get the rights, say you can't for legal reasons, and sell the rights.

c-way-dude

The $100/seat cost to install temporary seating would depend greatly on how many seats that they might choose to install.  The higher the stands, the more supporting structure it needs.  If they chose to only expand to 35k, the installation cost per seat would be significantly less.

KevinRiley2

The $100/seat cost to install temporary seating would depend greatly on how many seats that they might choose to install.  The higher the stands, the more supporting structure it needs.  If they chose to only expand to 35k, the installation cost per seat would be significantly less.
Fair enough.  I still think 35K struggles to sell.

People of Hamilton say they want a Grey Cup until they see ticket prices.   

Aerial

Just rig it so the Cats are in the GC, easy as pie.  ;)
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Users Online

110 Guests, 16 Users (22 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Caretaker, Aerial, Oskie18, FootbalYouBet, ArgoT, KennyPowers, Mikefrmthhammer, Grover, KevinRiley2, Bigshot, ExPat, EastVanMark, Google (AdSense) (13), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)