CatsFaninOttawa

Don't forget timezones.

Teams going out west and playing night games usually result in a loss.
So many times I've seen the eastern team fall apart after the halftime break.

This western dominance isn't a phenomenon isolated to just the CFL. The NBA and the NHL has had this problem for long stretches too. The 90s in the NHL, the west was usually better and the NBA is seemingly always like this.
Gee, how do the Patriots manage? Do the west teams not have to travel east?
Aren't most NFL games in the afternoon, starting at 1:00? That would give the advantage to the eastern teams, especially against west coast teams.

slimjim2

Don't forget timezones.

Teams going out west and playing night games usually result in a loss.
So many times I've seen the eastern team fall apart after the halftime break.

This western dominance isn't a phenomenon isolated to just the CFL. The NBA and the NHL has had this problem for long stretches too. The 90s in the NHL, the west was usually better and the NBA is seemingly always like this.
Gee, how do the Patriots manage? Do the west teams not have to travel east?
Aren't most NFL games in the afternoon, starting at 1:00? That would give the advantage to the eastern teams, especially against west coast teams.
What about the games from London?   they host at least three NFL games every year.  
They are playing games at 09:00 eastern time.
At least the NFL doesn't play west coast games starting at  10PM,  that's probably for TV ratings.  They've also changed the Monday Night Football start times to 8:20 kick off from 9 PM

Dust

I think if we all knew the answer to this, the East teams would be all over it.

I suspect it has a little to do with everything.  The Western teams have been more financially stable in the last 10 or so years, and it trickles down to everything else.  In the past you've had a lot of uncertainty even over where some of the Eastern teams practice.  I believe that the Argos and Als practiced at a separate location.

With all of the new facilities going up around the league, and Hamilton, Ottawa, and Toronto all being on much more level playing field in that regard now, it should level off.

everyman

Good points Dust. Hope you are right. The other thought is that they may be content to limp through the season. After all the East does win the GC often enough.

Vermonter

It's funny that the Standings would look exactly the same, whether there was divisions or not. 

17 Stamps
16 Bombers
14 Esks
12 Leos
10 Riders

9 ORBs
8 Argos
6 Als
4 Ticats

Taleback

Of course they would. The schedule isn't changing. However the playoff teams would be a little unfair to Sask. as they would be out with 10, while 9 and 8 are in, with 8 having home field advantage over 12 in the semi and then 9 having home field over 12 if they advance to boot.

argonutII

An Eastern Team won the Grey Cup last year.

Taleback

Yep. An 8-9-1 first place finisher. Looking eerily similar this year.

PTBO Dave

But would they have won if they had had to play a quarter-final in Edmonton and then a semi-final in either BC or Calgary?

We'll never know, but it certainly would have been a more difficult path.

Vermonter

Yessir. 

The crossover is unlikely to win two Playoff games on the road, and once you get to the Grey Cup anything can happen. 

bobo82

Yep. An 8-9-1 first place finisher. Looking eerily similar this year.
I think yer really reaching and being far to generous with that prediction . I honestly think that no Eastern team will even be remotely close to that "lofty" scintillating amazing 8 - 9 - 1 record of last year .  :o Prediction : First team to get to seven wins probably gets 1rst place and a bye . Second team that gets to six wins will probably get second and a home game in the Semis . Pretty brutal when you think about it .  :-[
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Users Online

118 Guests, 13 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Iconic SR, OskeeweeneeVI, sully, toddstattoo, raymarkca, bohdon, PTBO Dave, Rider_6, Lyle B. Style, btharner, 150GAGE, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Yahoo!, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)