EastVanMark

Quote from: "GreyDragon"
I stopped singing O Canada when they changed the words to include "God".
A reference to "God" wasn't in the lyrics when I was growing up, but somewhere along the line the government must have changed it.

For a supposedly all-inclusive society that espouses the separation of church and state, I find a reference to "God" in a national anthem incomprehensible.
I guess if anyone either doesn't believe in a "God" or doesn't pray to the Christian God, they aren't truly Canadian. :?

I stopped singing it when they changed the original version back in ought 8. That move really chapped my hide. Its "the Maple Leaf Forever" for me.  "In days of yore, from Britain's shore...." ah yes, still gets me on tenterhooks.

EastVanMark

Quote from: "RedandWhite"
...completely disagree, I sing it (Oh Canada) out loud at ever opportunity presented, be it a football game, hockey game, pancake breakfast, before making love, etc.....

How does that work exactly? Is it sans clothes? Or would that be considered disrespectful? :lol:

Paolo X

Quote from: "GreyDragon"
I stopped singing O Canada when they changed the words to include "God".
A reference to "God" wasn't in the lyrics when I was growing up, but somewhere along the line the government must have changed it.

For a supposedly all-inclusive society that espouses the separation of church and state, I find a reference to "God" in a national anthem incomprehensible.
I guess if anyone either doesn't believe in a "God" or doesn't pray to the Christian God, they aren't truly Canadian. :?

It's God and not stated as Christian, but if you are hung up on the general concept that's your prerogative.

Also I don't think that those of polytheistic faith would object that it's not "Gods" or "gods."
Best Regards, Paolo

EZ Football

How come you guys don't remove your caps and place your right hand over your heart when the Canadian anthem is played?

Noticed that on TV.

Xvys

How come you guys don't remove your caps and place your right hand over your heart when the Canadian anthem is played?

Noticed that on TV.
Canadians don't normally put their hand on their chests during the anthem. We are taught to stand at attention with our arms at our sides or clasped behind our backs (not clasped in front) with headgear removed. Some people today don't bother to remove their caps which is disrespectful but Canadians generally aren't that patriotic. Any player who refused to stand for our anthem would likely be booed out of the stadium.

beaglehound

Great answer Xvys! 

From what I understand the U.S. has an actual Federal code on the books.  While it is a 'law' explaining what is expected during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner [U.S. anthem] it is not enforced.  I'm not aware of any such written code for Canada, although there may well be one.  I've just not taken the time to do any research. 

It is true that you will notice some fans in Canadian stadiums not observing the rules of etiquette by   removing their ball caps [or other] during the singing of the anthem. Many that I see do.  Regardless, it is proper etiquette to do so.  Placing hand over the heart during the singing of the Anthem is not a custom in Canada.

It is interesting how that particular custom evolved in the States dating back to the early 1940s.  

What is interesting to me is that while placing the hand over the heart is customary in the U.S. [and considered law] I noticed many fans in the stands ignoring this custom.  Obama himself in 2008 was seen not placing his hand over heart during the singing of the Anthem on one occasion. 

Keeping in tune [pun intended] with the title of this topic I came across an hilarious rendition of Oh Canada by one of my favourite actors: William Shatner.  Does this guy take himself seriously or what? 
Enjoy....

https://www.nfb.ca/film/william_shatner_sings_o_canada/

EZ Football

Vermonter

This guy is terrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXzASiXX8U
It is funny because he is acting as though he nailed it. 

CatsFaninOttawa

From what I understand the U.S. has an actual Federal code on the books.  While it is a 'law' explaining what is expected during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner [U.S. anthem] it is not enforced.  I'm not aware of any such written code for Canada, although there may well be one.  I've just not taken the time to do any research.
From the Government of Canada website:

There is no specific rule as to when it is appropriate to sing the national anthem at an event. It is up to the organizers to determine if “O Canada” will be sung at the beginning or at the end of a ceremony. If two anthems are to be played at the beginning of an event, “O Canada” should be played first followed by the other one. When anthems are played at the end of an event, “O Canada” should be played last.

As a matter of respect and tradition, it is proper to stand for the playing of “O Canada”; this is also the case for the anthem of any other nation. It is traditional for civilian men to take off their hats during the playing of the national anthem. Women and children do not remove their hats on such occasions.

There is no law or behaviour governing the playing of the national anthem; it is left to the good citizenship of individuals.
Timing and etiquette for anthem use

Interesting that, according to this, the Canadian anthem is supposed to be played first when played before an event. I don't think I've ever heard it done that way.

beaglehound

This guy is terrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXzASiXX8U
Un.........beeeeee-leeeeeeeeev- ABLE!  How to shred a song let alone a national anthem song.  Why would KC Parks not at least have prepped for the singing of this song?   He is a professional singer after all.     I guess this is why there are lounge "singers" and lounge "lizards".  My goodness.  I've never heard anyone sing a song that did not at least resemble the actual song at least a little bit.

97valkyrie

A long time ago, as I recall, when the Expo's still played in Montreal, they had a game that fell on St. Jean Baptiste day, and they played the Canadian anthem hours before the game, when no one was around to hear it, so they wouldn't offend the Separatist's as they were called back then....I don't think it was a CFL game ,anyone else remember this?

EZ Football

You guys should get Roseanne Barr to sing your anthem...preferably at a Grey Cup.

Here's Roseanne singing the US anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2BYd3c90w

Your thoughts?  Kind of like a scene from the movie the Naked Gun?  Keep in mind, this was well before 911.

sambo42

Quote from: Jindred
Am I the only one who thinks national anthems before sporting events is incredibly unnecessary? . . .  I just don't get the point of the anthem before every game.

No, you are not the only one; I'm with you 100%
 I agree also... maybe in special circumstances, but the whole Kapernick like controversies could be avoided if they discontinued the practice of singing the anthems at games... if you wanted to get the fans ramped up, play a song that fits with the home team...in the Riders' case it could be Rider Pride or Green is the Colour.

Vermonter

You guys should get Roseanne Barr to sing your anthem...preferably at a Grey Cup.

Your thoughts?  Kind of like a scene from the movie the Naked Gun?  Keep in mind, this was well before 911.
That was an all-timer of a bad version, but some of the responsibility lies with whoever invited her to do it. 

I mean, what did they expect? Just because the woman is robust doesn't mean that she can sing opera. 

PTBO Dave

That was an all-timer of a bad version, but some of the responsibility lies with whoever invited her to do it.

I mean, what did they expect? Just because the woman is robust doesn't mean that she can sing opera.
Yes, it was an odd choice, wasn't it. I mean her fame comes mostly from comedy, so what did they expect?

Users Online

87 Guests, 9 Users (16 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Beam reach, pdson2, Lennywasout, oskee7777, ticats1963, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (13)

Most Online Today: 124. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)