RedandWhite

...I noticed Mr. Bungle that you disappeared for a bit, and your last post made a lot of sense....that is all, not making any conclusion-jumps here...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Mr.Bungle

I was in rehab from meth and crack.. haha...
Rogers has lost tens of million on the NFL, hundreds of millions on the Blow Jays, and are now losing billions on the NHL TV deal, yet refuse to get involved with the Argos, who will be profitable in just over 1 year. SCREW ROGERS!!

AlsPhil

Quote from: "Mr.Bungle"
Quote from: "foreverCFLfan"
Many Americans thing that Canada is an inferior place,.
I disagree completely.. Most Americans see Canada as a superior country, and Canadians are the ones that see Canada as inferior.

This thread is geting lamer all the time...   :thdn:

EastVanMark

I think the league should just default to this version of the anthem at every venue.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXzASiXX8U

TravelPatB

Yes - the classic O Canada to the tune of O Christmas Tree.  :D

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "RedandWhite"
...completely disagree, I sing it (Oh Canada) out loud at ever opportunity presented, be it a football game, hockey game, pancake breakfast, before making love, etc.....

I don't sing it (because I'm terrible) but I enjoy it. I think of it in the same terms of those who say a quick prayer before a meal. It's like taking a moment to appreciate what you have. I would miss it if they stopped.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.

Paolo X

Back in November in my Grey Cup preview in a guest post for a primarily American audience on www.racingtoaredlight.com with the assistance of Soused Bergin out of Toronto, I linked this version of the anthem by Roger Doucet. The reference to that classic bilingual version also received many compliments. Even as an American hearing this version gives me the (good) chills.

Here's the link to that version, probably known all too well by many of you, and also the link to that post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4zVnhnaPY

http://racingtoaredlight.com/search/cfl
Best Regards, Paolo

Paolo X

Quote from: "ro1313"
Quote from: "foreverCFLfan"
First the Canada one is partly sang in French, another sign that they are doing a good job of taking over the entire country.

Its always sung partly in French....Did you know Oh Canada was written in French first?
Last night in Montreal they sang God bless America...Because why?
Half the players are American and today is the 4th of July.  Its called respect, you should look into getting some

Well said Ro. Ro a few years ago when you printed the English translation from the French for O Canada, I was amazed. The language of the French version seems more descriptive.

Paolo X

Quote from: "Deanjo"
And on that note, as a Canadian, I would like to send out a message to our American viewers.

We're sorry for inflicting Rod Black on you.

During tonight's game at Edmonton, I posted a copy of the following on the game thread as posted elsewhere on http://www.racingtoaredlight.com to help my fellow Americans out a bit too:

Ignore the TSN announcer Rod Black, for he's essentially Canada's equivalent of Fred Willard as if doing sports. He's been covering games and saying dumb s for years, but sometimes it's funny. Bashing Rod Black remains a Canadian tradition.

TravelPatB

Quote from: "Paolo X"
Well said Ro. Ro a few years ago when you printed the English translation from the French for O Canada, I was amazed. The language of the French version seems more descriptive.

Here is the online translation of O Canada's French lyrics.

O Canada! Land of our forefathers,
thy brow is girded with glorious jewels!

For your arm knows how to wear the sword,
He knows how to carry the cross .

Your history is an epic of the
most brilliant feats.

And thy value, of faith hardened,
will protect our homes and our rights.

Will protect our homes and our rights.

GreyDragon

I stopped singing O Canada when they changed the words to include "God".
A reference to "God" wasn't in the lyrics when I was growing up, but somewhere along the line the government must have changed it.

For a supposedly all-inclusive society that espouses the separation of church and state, I find a reference to "God" in a national anthem incomprehensible.
I guess if anyone either doesn't believe in a "God" or doesn't pray to the Christian God, they aren't truly Canadian. :?

BigDave

Quote from: "Jindred"
Am I the only one who thinks national anthems before sporting events is incredibly unnecessary? I don't mind it for things like Canada or Independence day games cause those days are special to the country. Its also another thing for them to be sung at sporting events like the World Cup, Olympics or any national events as that is part of the point of them. But every day games I find it just to be lame, unnecessary, and a waste of time.

I love Canada, and I am proud to have grown up here, but I just don't get the point of the anthem before every game.
I'm guessing you're too young to remember the days when the national anthem was sung in movie theatres.

You'd get your popcorn and your drink, get all settled in, and here comes the anthem. With no cup holders, you struggle to stand, and your seat conveniently springs back up. Afterwards you try to sit back down, and your butt and half your popcorn ends up on the floor. I was not sorry to see that custom fall by the wayside.

This one, however, I like. For a brief moment, no matter which team you're cheering for or playing for, we all stand shoulder to shoulder, united. Then when it's over we turn and rip each other's face off. That's sports!

kasps

Anthems are great, Nothing like a sold out crowd singing the Anthem before a game.

QQ One-Nine

Ignore the TSN announcer Rod Black, for he's essentially Canada's equivalent of Fred Willard as if doing sports. He's been covering games and saying dumb s for years, but sometimes it's funny. Bashing Rod Black remains a Canadian tradition.

That is an excellent example.

"The boys of summersault".  :roll:  Somebody kill me.

Doesn't beat his "Champ of tramp" call at the Olympics though. Dear heavens.

HfxTC

Quote from: "CRFadmin"

That is an excellent example.

"The boys of summersault".  :roll:  Somebody kill me.

Doesn't beat his "Champ of tramp" call at the Olympics though. Dear heavens.

Wait till Michael Sam dresses  :cry:
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Users Online

66 Guests, 5 Users (13 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Slomojo2005, Mightygoose, IceTheKicker, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 125. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)