MadJack

Quote from: "Jindred"
Am I the only one who thinks national anthems before sporting events is incredibly unnecessary? . . .  I just don't get the point of the anthem before every game.

No, you are not the only one; I'm with you 100%

challenger99

Quote from: "rhymes with orange"
I am sure our American viewers must snicker at the word "abewt" (about). I am an (urban) Canadian and it makes my skin crawl! Chris Cuthbert is the worst offender (next to Kate Bierness on TSN). It's a really Ontario thing.

Believe me, with all the accents we have here in the States, pronouncing one word differently across the country means nothing and certainly would not warrant a "snicker". Now offering a Snickers Bar would probably have a response, usually "Thanks".

dcmoses

Quote from: "rhymes with orange"
I am sure our American viewers must snicker at the word "abewt" (about). I am an (urban) Canadian and it makes my skin crawl! Chris Cuthbert is the worst offender (next to Kate Bierness on TSN). It's a really Ontario thing.

With thanks to challenger99 for the idea. :wink:

turkeybend2

:lol:  foreevercflfan wins the worst post of the year.  Canada is a bilingual country.  Canadians generally are extremely generous with their respect hence the singing of the U.S.A.  national anthem on July 4th their national holiday.  I say la punition, deux minutes dans la box de penalty for NO RESPECT to forevercflfan.  
HOwever, I have faith, based on the feedback that foreverclffan has heard, that he will accept the feedback and realize he was off course with his comments and move on.  We are all human brother and we all make mistakes and say dumb things once in awhile and find out that one's comment is out of sync with the majority.  

Enjoy the CFL season!!! :rockin:

AlsPhil

Quote from: "Deanjo"
And on that note, as a Canadian, I would like to send out a message to our American viewers.

We're sorry for inflicting Rod Black on you.

Just think of Rod as payback for the Kardashians. There, I don't feel all that bad anymore.  :D

Cool

Quote from: "FootbalYouBet"
I didn't hear the American anthem yesterday, I heard God Bless America.

Half the reason they did this is because of USA viewers.

I did hear this as well, with the reason being of the shooting tragedy that had occurred.
Pull Together everyone

foreverCFLfan

I hear ya turkeybend2.

I know that Canada is a bilingual country. But correct me if I'm wrong. Quebec is a uni-lingual province, where the use of French is enforced by the government. I don't see anything wrong with them trying to protect the French language. I just generally hate political discussions. On the other hand, in many parts of the US I see the English language digressing into a thuggish hood-like slang perpetrated by rapsters and the rapster mentality. So that too, the English language needs to be protected. Canada could set an example in protecting the English language as well so we don't regress by the way of the caveman.

As far as the anthems goes, I don't think that any stadium in the US would ever pay reverence to the Canadian anthem like they did over the weekend in Ottawa, Canada day or not. It was the first time I've ever seen it. So should the CFL change it's slogan "This is Our League". Who's league?

I'll bet that the average casual football fan in the US does not even know what the CFL is.

TravelPatB

The Buffalo Sabres play the Canadian national anthem before every home game - even those involving no Canadian team. The Buffalo Bills usually once a year have a 'Canada Day with the Bills' at which they play the Canadian anthem. On the day of the Ottawa Parliament Hill attack that night Pittsburgh Penguins fans sang O Canada prior to a game against the Flyers.

And the most ignorant thing thing about your original post is that the game you are complaining about the anthem was played in Ottawa where pretty much every public event is done bilingually. The Redblacks themselves market extensively across the river in Gatineau in French. In fact much of their marketing material has this on one side of it.

It would be wrong if they did not sing the Canadian anthem bilingually.

RedandWhite

Quote from: "foreverCFLfan"
As far as the anthems goes, I don't think that any stadium in the US would ever pay reverence to the Canadian anthem like they did over the weekend in Ottawa, Canada day or not.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/pit ... -1.2809639

...you should just quit while you're behind...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Mr.Bungle

Ottawa Valley
Rogers has lost tens of million on the NFL, hundreds of millions on the Blow Jays, and are now losing billions on the NHL TV deal, yet refuse to get involved with the Argos, who will be profitable in just over 1 year. SCREW ROGERS!!

gattaca

I'm in the camp on no anthems for club games. You're not representing the country and many of players in various sports are of different nationalities.

I like the Euro model where the anthem playing hasn't watered down the meaning of hearing it. So they actually sing with gusto and passion when their national team plays or an individual wins a medal at an international competition.

In an all Canadian league, other than for the Grey Cup as a ceremonial gesture, it is mindless to play it.

RedandWhite

...completely disagree, I sing it (Oh Canada) out loud at ever opportunity presented, be it a football game, hockey game, pancake breakfast, before making love, etc.....

CatsFaninOttawa

Quote from: "RedandWhite"
...completely disagree, I sing it (Oh Canada) out loud at ever opportunity presented, be it a football game, hockey game, pancake breakfast, before making love, etc.....
Not during? :D

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1359402373291/1359402467746

Unlike some countries, Canada does not have specific rules around the playing of anthems. More what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules, to quote a famous fictional pirate. The thing is, those guidelines aren't followed at any professional league game I've seen.

Playing of anthems at events

There is no specific rule as to when it is appropriate to sing the national anthem at an event. It is up to the organizers to determine if "O Canada" will be sung at the beginning or at the end of a ceremony. If two anthems are to be played at the beginning of an event, "O Canada" should be played first followed by the other one. When anthems are played at the end of an event, "O Canada" should be played last.

Ever hear "O Canada" played before "The Star-Spangled Banner" before any game?

dcmoses

Quote from: "CatsFaninOttawa"
Ever hear "O Canada" played before "The Star-Spangled Banner" before any game?

Teams want to pump their fans and you can't do that by playing the other teams anthem after yours just before the game starts. Don't be silly. :wink:

Mr.Bungle

Quote from: "foreverCFLfan"
Many Americans thing that Canada is an inferior place,.
I disagree completely.. Most Americans see Canada as a superior country, and Canadians are the ones that see Canada as inferior.

Users Online

67 Guests, 7 Users (15 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Rick16, Slomojo2005, Mightygoose, IceTheKicker, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 125. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)