Hammertown Proud

if you check the voting, it was 50/50 (exactly) for those over 45 who do want to sign him vs who don't want to sign him.

My point was, the vocal group of the >45 was those who "don't" want to sign him.

Bobo proved that perfectly.

In Marks poll there wasn't a single age group that had more people not wanting him over wanting him.

Just that group of over 45 and don't want him are rather vocal...to say the least.

HfxTC

Manziel is not Vince Faragamo or Manley. This is a young very athletic star. And if he stays clean, he will burn up this league and every team in the NFL except New England will be wanting a piece of him. The interest people will have in this league is going to grow big time and probably bring in a lot of money for our league and when we get the 10th team.....................
We will see, maybe. The 25-year-old version is nowhere near the 20-year-old athlete who won the Heisman. Pictures from just a few weeks ago show him to be overweight with muscle atrophy... He has a tough task ahead of him to become the best player to ever play in this league.  Let's hope he does well. Many of these signings have made the league look bad.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

HfxTC

if you check the voting, it was 50/50 (exactly) for those over 45 who do want to sign him vs who don't want to sign him.

My point was, the vocal group of the >45 was those who "don't" want to sign him.

Bobo proved that perfectly.

In Marks poll there wasn't a single age group that had more people not wanting him over wanting him.

Just that group of over 45 and don't want him are rather vocal...to say the least.
I don't think it has anything to do with your claim of "entitlement" IMO it is because older fans have seen these types of signing before and they rarely turn out well.

Hammertown Proud

Seen these types of signings? I'm pretty sure this situation is rather unique.

I stand by my feeling of "perceived entitlement".

HfxTC

I stand by my feeling of "perceived entitlement".
I don't have a problem with him being given an opportunity. I think the Commish handled this beautifully. He prevented Manziel from coming two-thirds of the season in and being an option player next month. This alone forces Johnny to make a bigger commitment and allows the Ticats to get a proper offseason and training camp to evaluate him. Jones wants him and Tillman's had him on his neg list for four years... so he could not step into a better situation.

The next step will be to see what kind of contract he agrees to. Technically Hamilton can offer him a league minimum contract and since he's independent of fortune, he may take it but that would also indicate he's looking at a one and done.

Off season just got interesting.

Hammertown Proud

Great post.

I agree I don't have a problem with giving him a shot.

Maybe he'll fail. Maybe he'll succeed. Maybe he'll win a Grey Cup and then jet to the NFL.

None of us know.

HfxTC

3TMZnation has an article out already claiming that Hamilton has ten days to sign him. This is absolutely Fake news.
Hamilton has 30 days to negotiate a contract UNLESS Manziel's agent pulls the ten-day clause. It would be stupid for his agent to do this as Hamilton would then offer him the league minimum which his client would be forced to accept or sit out another year.

That site is probably the worse CFL site ever to disgrace the internet.

TravelPat1

Umm it is not just 3DownNation saying that the Cats have 10 days. The story that appeared in many newspapers from CP - Canada Press says the same thing and that was also reported on the local newscast in Hamilton last night. Back in late August or early September Manziel's agent did activate the 10 day clause. 

The story in multiple newspapers from CP says ......

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are now on the clock.

The CFL announced Thursday it would approve a contract for quarterback Johnny Manziel if one was negotiated with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who have the former Heisman Trophy winner on their negotiation list. The Ticats now have 10 days to make an offer to Manziel in order to maintain his rights, or trade him to another team.

If Manziel doesn’t receive an offer from Hamilton or isn’t dealt by Jan. 7, 2018, he’ll become a free agent. But worth noting is Hamilton simply has to make an offer to Manziel — and if it’s rejected, he’d remain on the Ticats’ negotiation list for another year.

Similarly, any team acquiring Manziel’s rights from Hamilton would then have a 10-day window to make him an offer. And as is the case with the Ticats, if Manziel turned that down, the new club would be able to keep him on its negotiation list for another year.

Erik Burkhardt, Manziel’s agent, didn’t return a telephone message immediately Thursday.

In August, Manziel worked out for the Ticats, who passed on making him an offer. But Manziel’s camp activated Hamilton’s 10-day window, forcing the CFL club to make a decision on whether to sign or trade him.
The CFL then stepped in and extended the window for further evaluation.

2ez

3TMZnation has an article out already claiming that Hamilton has ten days to sign him. This is absolutely Fake news.
Hamilton has 30 days to negotiate a contract UNLESS Manziel's agent pulls the ten-day clause. It would be stupid for his agent to do this as Hamilton would then offer him the league minimum which his client would be forced to accept or sit out another year.

That site is probably the worse CFL site ever to disgrace the internet.
The Cats have ten days to offer him a contract, then 30 days to negotiate from there ... if they simply don't offer him a contract in the next ten days then he would become a free agent.

So yes, they have 10 days to make their move or risk losing his rights. 

ExPat

This response is kind of funny.  The point was made that people who have followed the CFL longer than you have seen more situations like this.  And you respond by confirming that you are not aware of  these situations having occurred in the past.

Well, sorry to break it to you, but the CFL scrap heaps are littered with Heisman winners and over-hyped NFL wash-outs who show up with great promise (in the eyes of some), only to disappoint.  Generally for the same reasons they disappointed in the NFL.  Crossing the border does not magically wash away flaws and shortcomings.

I'm not talking about the undersized guys or graduates of small colleges who never got a real NFL shot because they were off the radar.  I'm talking about the celebrated guys who blew it down there and tried to revive their careers here.  It almost never works out.  Doug Flutie is one of the very few exceptions.

I would name some of the flame-outs, but being over 45, my memory is not what it used to be.

bobo82

This response is kind of funny.  The point was made that people who have followed the CFL longer than you have seen more situations like this.  And you respond by confirming that you are not aware of  these situations having occurred in the past.

Well, sorry to break it to you, but the CFL scrap heaps are littered with Heisman winners and over-hyped NFL wash-outs who show up with great promise (in the eyes of some), only to disappoint.  Generally for the same reasons they disappointed in the NFL.  Crossing the border does not magically wash away flaws and shortcomings.

I'm not talking about the undersized guys or graduates of small colleges who never got a real NFL shot because they were off the radar.  I'm talking about the celebrated guys who blew it down there and tried to revive their careers here.  It almost never works out.  Doug Flutie is one of the very few exceptions.

I would name some of the flame-outs, but being over 45, my memory is not what it used to be.
LOL !!! Well I'll help ya out there ExPat seeing as I'm also well over the age of 45 .  Here's a list of NFL flame-outs and one time NCAA can't miss so called Super-stars off the top of my head from memory , just to name a few :Terry Metcalf , Anthony Davis , Timm Rossenbach , Andre Ware , Andre Rison , Tom Cousineau , Vince Ferragamo , Michael Sam , Chad Johnson , Eric Crouch , Vince Young , Mark Gastineau , Dexter Manley , Troy Smith , Ricky Williams , Akili Smith , Don McPherson , Major Harris , Tee Martin , Brad Banks , Shawn King etc etc etc . I'm positive that there is more that I've missed or just plain forgotten about . So feel free out there to anyone who wants to add to the list or if you like dispute the list . Oh and in closing , trust me soon to be joining this list will be this guy named Manziel. .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

brihind88

BOBO, you forgot the biggest flame out :

FRED ( what do you mean the CFL does not allow stickum ) BELITNIKOFF .

He for sure needs to be on your list.

However, I am surprised you included Terry Metcalf.

If I remember right, he  did very well in Toronto.

Taleback

This response is kind of funny.  The point was made that people who have followed the CFL longer than you have seen more situations like this.  And you respond by confirming that you are not aware of  these situations having occurred in the past.

Well, sorry to break it to you, but the CFL scrap heaps are littered with Heisman winners and over-hyped NFL wash-outs who show up with great promise (in the eyes of some), only to disappoint.  Generally for the same reasons they disappointed in the NFL.  Crossing the border does not magically wash away flaws and shortcomings.

I'm not talking about the undersized guys or graduates of small colleges who never got a real NFL shot because they were off the radar.  I'm talking about the celebrated guys who blew it down there and tried to revive their careers here.  It almost never works out.  Doug Flutie is one of the very few exceptions.

LOL !!! Well I'll help ya out there ExPat seeing as I'm also well over the age of 45 .  Here's a list of NFL flame-outs and one time NCAA can't miss so called Super-stars off the top of my head from memory , just to name a few :Terry Metcalf , Anthony Davis , Timm Rossenbach , Andre Ware , Andre Rison , Tom Cousineau , Vince Ferragamo , Michael Sam , Chad Johnson , Eric Crouch , Vince Young , Mark Gastineau , Dexter Manley , Troy Smith , Ricky Williams , Akili Smith , Don McPherson , Major Harris , Tee Martin , Brad Banks , Shawn King etc etc etc . I'm positive that there is more that I've missed or just plain forgotten about . So feel free out there to anyone who wants to add to the list or if you like dispute the list . Oh and in closing , trust me soon to be joining this list will be this guy named Manziel. .
Pretty sure Terry Metcalf and Tom Cousineau did pretty well up here, so shouldn't be included in the Flame Outs. Another to include in the flame outs would be Billy "White shoes" Johnson, who came up at the same time as  Ferragamo I think, with the Als.

bobo82

BOBO, you forgot the biggest flame out :

FRED ( what do you mean the CFL does not allow stickum ) BELITNIKOFF .

He for sure needs to be on your list.

However, I am surprised you included Terry Metcalf.

If I remember right, he  did very well in Toronto.
LOL !!! No I remembered Mr Stickum . Who could ever forget old Freddie Belitnikoff . I just didn't bother putting him on the list due to the fact that he was 37 and at the end of the road when he joined the Als in 1980 . 

As for Metcalf , it's true he actually didn't have bad stats in his three years in Toronto but the fact of the matter is although he had decent stats and did fairly well in Toronto the team didn't do well and failed to make the play-offs in the 3 years he was there . All he turned out to be was a good player (not great ) on a bad team when he was supposed to be the guy that put the Argos over the top and be the final piece of the puzzle to make them contenders once again . Metcalf eventually went back to the NFL for the 1981 season and played one last season with the REDSKINS before he called it quits and retired after a 9 yr career having played 6 yrs in the NFL and 3 yrs in the CFL .

brihind88

LOL !!! Well I'll help ya out there ExPat seeing as I'm also well over the age of 45 .  Here's a list of NFL flame-outs and one time NCAA can't miss so called Super-stars off the top of my head from memory , just to name a few :Terry Metcalf , Anthony Davis , Timm Rossenbach , Andre Ware , Andre Rison , Tom Cousineau , Vince Ferragamo , Michael Sam , Chad Johnson , Eric Crouch , Vince Young , Mark Gastineau , Dexter Manley , Troy Smith , Ricky Williams , Akili Smith , Don McPherson , Major Harris , Tee Martin , Brad Banks , Shawn King etc etc etc . I'm positive that there is more that I've missed or just plain forgotten about . So feel free out there to anyone who wants to add to the list or if you like dispute the list . Oh and in closing , trust me soon to be joining this list will be this guy named Manziel. .
Pretty sure Terry Metcalf and Tom Cousineau did pretty well up here, so shouldn't be included in the Flame Outs. Another to include in the flame outs would be Billy "White shoes" Johnson, who came up at the same time as  Ferragamo I think, with the Als.
Thats right TaleB.

Johnson - Ferragamo - Belitnikoff  all came at the same time.

Als were to be the next great dynasty and dethrone existing dynasty Eskimos.

Well the next great dynasty went 3 - 13 in 1981 and folded.

Money was never so wasted.

Users Online

68 Guests, 6 Users (7 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bohdon, rd87387, everyman, Mightygoose, Onemoredork, batkinson001, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)