depopulationINC

The unfortunate reality is that most forums focus on negativity, such is many conversations in day to day life.

There could be a thread 10 pages long here with people flacking their own team of choice, and if they win the cup 2 months later it might make 4.  It is not unique to here.

KevinRiley2

The unfortunate reality is that most forums focus on negativity, such is many conversations in day to day life.

There could be a thread 10 pages long here with people flacking their own team of choice, and if they win the cup 2 months later it might make 4.  It is not unique to here.
It's not just that.  Some posters (the Usual Suspects) are CFL negative.

A CFL game gets 600,000 viewers and some posters will tell you that is awful.
Those same posters will tell you 600,000 for the Jays is terrific.
Those same posters will tell you 150,000 for the TFC is wonderful.

The hypocrisy is deafening.  Again, people like to dump on this League.  They always have.  They always will.  They get off on it.

For those of us who truly love and appreciate the CFL, it gets old.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Hank01

Random opinion of a league employee: I think it's super helpful to get feedback via these forums. Usually companies I've worked at have to pay people for their opinions. Here I get them for free! ;) (But seriously, it's useful.)
   Yes totally agree it's a worthwhile tool that can be used to get feedback for everything from mics on coaches , penalties , live event reviews of the product and facilities used for the product or service .

I get asked for reviews a half dozen times a week for just about everything but there is integrity to them as they know I am actually a real customer .

I would suggest the league actually ask for a response to CFL initiatives that might need a review once in awhile and engage the forum

You did this a bit last year for questions or topics for the new commish but reverse it now and ask the forum .

The CFL may have fear of using this as a trial balloon to maybe unpopular ideas but it never hurts to get options and opinions .

It may grow the forum more eventually and this in turn sells a little more advertising . 

Just be wary of trolls as usual as that gets sometimes  a false skewed response if only polls are used  . 

I would suggest a yes or no and a weighed opinion to the yes or no to try to get a credible response to whatever initiative the league is looking at to form a true focus group evaluation of any future CFL initiative .

Sorry for my long winded response I drank too much caffeine  .

DAN38

Every team is my favourite.
   All the stadiums are great.
   The coaches are all top-notch.
   The refs never make mistakes.
   There aren't too many commercials.
   All games are on TV at the right time.
   Every announcer is wonderful.
   I love waiting for penalty replay challenges.
   Rod black is the best there is.
   If the league expands, good. If it doesn't, good.
   I like the CFL the way it is.
   Do not experiment.
   Every QB is fantastic.
   Do not change anything.
   Do not be critical.

In November every team should win the Grey Cup.

Whew, now I'm depressed.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Iconic SR

Please don't take it personally. I'm sorry that you feel targetted here. That wasn't the intent. Today we can choose to make it all about ourselves, or we can channel some positive thoughts and energy to the families and all those associated with the Humboldt Broncos tragedy. The Riders will be there today to share in their grief and their healing. I'm gonna choose to think about this.
 I don't feel targeted or take it personally, on the contrary, I feel that if anyone feels so depressed, as the OP says he is, by what they read on an internet chat forum, they should stop reading that forum. Having said that I do hope Everyman keeps posting. He has some good things to say.

What others say or think should not affect how you think or feel. Don't let another's actions determine your feelings.
If I’m interpreting the OPs post correctly, I believe he was saying that he’s looking forward to a new CFL season and in here he finds a lot of pessimism - over even the tiniest things. It’s a fair and accurate statement I believe. As someone also mentioned, this underlying negativity is not unique to here. It’s just a mentality of using an anonymous position in a web forum to gripe, and that’s ok. Just as it’s ok to scratch one’s head and think 🤔. One thing I’ve learned in life: many are more suited or content - when they’re unhappy.

To each their own.

Iconic SR

Random opinion of a league employee: I think it's super helpful to get feedback via these forums. Usually companies I've worked at have to pay people for their opinions. Here I get them for free! ;) (But seriously, it's useful.)
What process do you employ to take this feedback and provide it to the powers that be?

sully

Yes totally agree it's a worthwhile tool that can be used to get feedback for everything from mics on coaches , penalties , live event reviews of the product and facilities used for the product or service .

I get asked for reviews a half dozen times a week for just about everything but there is integrity to them as they know I am actually a real customer .

I would suggest the league actually ask for a response to CFL initiatives that might need a review once in awhile and engage the forum . 

You did this a bit last year for questions or topics for the new commish but reverse it now and ask the forum .

The CFL may have fear of using this as a trial balloon to maybe unpopular ideas but it never hurts to get options and opinions .

It may grow the forum more eventually and this in turn sells a little more advertising . 

Just be wary of trolls as usual as that gets sometimes  a false skewed response if only polls are used. 

I would suggest a yes or no and a weighed opinion to the yes or no to try to get a credible response to whatever initiative the league is looking at to form a true focus group evaluation of any future CFL initiative .

Sorry for my long winded response I drank too much caffeine.
I agree with you; this is an excellent forum to poll knowledgable CFL fans for their opinions. But polling on open-ended questions is probably an exercise in generating frustration because organization tends to have its hands tied on making immediate moves. The league office obviously tries to choose the best available option in all of its decisions, with the key word being available (eg. I want Drake to be the halftime act for the Grey Cup, but he's rarely available). Still, I think we could do a bit better in getting feedback here.

What process do you employ to take this feedback and provide it to the powers that be?
I'm the least useful league employee reading these forums because of my mostly irrelevant area of responsibility to what you guys care about. Members of the Marketing and Communications divisions here are silent observers, though, and I believe the communications folks are tallying responses on various topics they track during the year here, on Twitter and at the mailbox of contact@cfl.ca for summary and reporting upwards. I'll mention something to the C-level execs if I think it's important to, though.
I'm the Senior Director of Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

DAN38

Please don't take it personally. I'm sorry that you feel targetted here. That wasn't the intent. Today we can choose to make it all about ourselves, or we can channel some positive thoughts and energy to the families and all those associated with the Humboldt Broncos tragedy. The Riders will be there today to share in their grief and their healing. I'm gonna choose to think about this.
I don't feel targeted or take it personally, on the contrary, I feel that if anyone feels so depressed, as the OP says he is, by what they read on an internet chat forum, they should stop reading that forum. Having said that I do hope Everyman keeps posting. He has some good things to say.

What others say or think should not affect how you think or feel. Don't let another's actions determine your feelings.
If I’m interpreting the OPs post correctly, I believe he was saying that he’s looking forward to a new CFL season and in here he finds a lot of pessimism - over even the tiniest things. It’s a fair and accurate statement I believe. As someone also mentioned, this underlying negativity is not unique to here. It’s just a mentality of using an anonymous position in a web forum to gripe, and that’s ok. Just as it’s ok to scratch one’s head and think 🤔. One thing I’ve learned in life: many are more suited or content - when they’re unhappy.

To each their own.
    I agree but most guys are here because of their love of the CFL and will point out indiscretions because they want the league to be above reproach. We have all heard the insults directed at our league. Some are justified, most are not. The CFL is unique in that we have to survive in spite of the football juggernaut down south. I think most of the criticism is not based on malice but concern.
    If the CFL wasn't a great game, the criticism would be massive but it isn't. If the worst thing we can say about the league is that Rod Black is a goof, I think we are in good shape.
    Mr. Negative himself no longer posts. Without him the positivity of this site has increased substantially. There will always be complainers though. It's good to hear what they say so we can balance what is needed. Nobody is forced to read the negative. It should not affect anyone's outlook or emotions.

IIRC when you first came to this board you were very critical of other fans, myself included. You stated that only true fans went to their team's games. Quite the turnaround. Did you see the light or something ?

KevinRiley2

Didn't Everyman start this exact same thread, years ago, under another name?

KevinRiley2

We have a wonderful League!  Is it perfect?  Far from it, but it's OURS.

Again, some posters LOVE to run this League into the ground.  Everything is negative.  The League is dying.  The League will be lucky to survive another day.

But say something about a League they support, and they will whine and run to the mods.

This is a CFL forum.  We are PRO-CFL fans.  If you don't like our PRO-CFL take on the League (and other leagues), go somewhere else.

FootbalYouBet

there is no antidote for situational depression.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

KevinRiley2

there is no antidote for situational depression.
Life is a blessing!

BCRiderFan

As posters here know, I ALWAYS take the High Road, even when other posters do not - if you don't believe me, read the bottom of my post.  

If everyone would follow MY lead, this forum would be a much better place.
Well don't you think highly of yourself. So humble. And no thanks.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

tony

We have a wonderful League!  Is it perfect?  Far from it, but it's OURS.

Again, some posters LOVE to run this League into the ground.  Everything is negative.  The League is dying.  The League will be lucky to survive another day.

But say something about a League they support, and they will whine and run to the mods.

This is a CFL forum. We are PRO-CFL fans.  If you don't like our PRO-CFL take on the League (and other leagues), go somewhere else.
Sounds like a T Shirt in the making similar to the one from a few years back about the CFL Balls.

KevinRiley2

As posters here know, I ALWAYS take the High Road, even when other posters do not - if you don't believe me, read the bottom of my post.  

If everyone would follow MY lead, this forum would be a much better place.
Well don't you think highly of yourself. So humble. And no thanks.
LOL!   ;D

Users Online

54 Guests, 5 Users (8 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mark7, FootbalYouBet, ExPat, jonny24eh, CrazyCanuck1988, Google (AdSense), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 121. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)