EZ Football

Anyone know the ratings for the Baltimore vs Calgary Grey Cup or BC vs Baltimore Grey Cup ?  I can't find them ; was there a drop ? Did CFL fans turn off .
'
'
'
What are people afraid of because if your selling a swath of Grey Cup tickets a week before the game  it has NOTHING to do with the teams appearing at the game .
That was my speculation too.

People are going to watch the final regardless of which teams are in it.  People out west in the United States did not tune-out when it was Alabama vs. Georgia, right?

If people only want to watch their home town team in it (or only if a team in it is within so many kilometers of their home), are they really that into the sport?  Are they going to cancel their Grey Cup party at home with family and friends?

Worse case scenario, you can always change it back.

What's the harm?

EZ Football

I noticed something odd between Canadian and American sports culture.

Canadian culture (CFL/CIS) has a history of taking more than half of its teams to the playoffs.

American culture has a history of taking no more than 40% of its teams to their playoffs.

Do we really need to have an extensive Canadian regular season only to bounce-out 25-33% of the teams?  Where's the incentive to win in the regular season because after all, you're going anyway to the big dance?

How did that become a social norm in Canada?  How did that become desirable?

FootbalYouBet

Canadian culture (CFL/CIS) has a history of taking more than half of its teams to the playoffs.

American culture has a history of taking no more than 40% of its teams to their playoffs.

Do we really need to have an extensive Canadian regular season only to bounce-out 25-33% of the teams?  Where's the incentive to win in the regular season because after all, you're going anyway to the big dance?

How did that become a social norm in Canada?  How did that become desirable?
it happens because we have not the population to have 30 teams. If you are a competitive player of any sport, then you already have incentive to win no matter what the scenario.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

beaglehound

That was an excellent answer FootbalYouBet!

PTBO Dave

With USports, it's also tough to balance things given the number of teams in the different conferences.

In the OAU, 4 of 11 teams make the playoffs.

In Canada West, 4 of 6 teams make the playoffs.

In AUS, 3 of 5 teams make the playoffs.

In RSEQ, 4 of 5 teams make the playoffs.

Personally, I think the conferences with 5 or 6 teams should only have the top 3 with the first seed getting a bye, but it's amateur sport, so maybe they think players should get the most opportunities. Sucks for the Ontario schools though, that they have so much competition in comparison.

It would be nice, if the money were there, to divide the 27 USport football programmes into upper and lower divisions, with the top 2 of the lower division and bottom 2 of the upper division switching positions each season. 

That way, we'd get to see the powerhouse teams play each other more often....and there'd be fewer blowouts when weak teams play those powerhouses.

EZ Football

it happens because we have not the population to have 30 teams. If you are a competitive player of any sport, then you already have incentive to win no matter what the scenario.
You can't take 4 out of 9 (CFL), and 8 out of 27 CIS schools to the playoffs?

Back in the day, the NFL had 26 teams and only 8 made the playoffs.  The number 30 (or 32, the actual teams in the league nowadays) has nothing to do with this.

Mightygoose

You can't take 4 out of 9 (CFL), and 8 out of 27 CIS schools to the playoffs?

Back in the day, the NFL had 26 teams and only 8 made the playoffs.  The number 30 (or 32, the actual teams in the league nowadays) has nothing to do with this.
But the revenues playoff games generate more especially on the broadcast front have lots to do with it.

Even with less subscribers to TSN, the playoff ratings we're very strong and well over regular season numbers, similar to other leagues. Hence the NFL has increased the number of playoff teams over the years in part to coincide with expansion.

The TV contract is worth allot less if there were 2 fewer games to sell to advertisers, especially though that deliver big numbers. 

CFL Pete

The problem with the CFL is the full interlocking schedule.  That is, that each team plays every team outside its own division twice every season.  Were this changed to playing an extra-divisional opponent just once a year, the final standings would be a better reflection of how the divisional rivals actually stack up against one another.  For instance, last year the Hamilton Tiger-Cats had a better record against East Division teams than Saskatchewan had against West Division teams.  The problem is that the full interlocking schedule impedes divisional comparisons.

The playoff problem, or annual "Westover", would be solved by returning to a partially interlocking schedule, as was done in 1980 and before, and a return to the traditional three teams in each division qualifying for the playoffs.  This format also preserves the historical significance of the Grey Cup to regional Canada, and makes the championship game better as it is more of a contest between East and West to see which division is better.

Generally, the full interlocking schedule has favoured the West Division.  The fourth place team crosses over to the East, and loses, and then the Grey Cup is a game where the best team on that day wins.  It's not a true Canadian east-west event.  The history of the Grey Cup is being lost by the erosion of the East and West Division.  Put a greater distance between the two divisions during the regular season, and let the Grey Cup Game be more meaningful than a celebration of Canada; it will be a showdown of east versus west.  And that's what made the CFL great in the first place.

Thanks.

PTBO Dave

The problem with the CFL is the full interlocking schedule.  That is, that each team plays every team outside its own division twice every season.  Were this changed to playing an extra-divisional opponent just once a year, the final standings would be a better reflection of how the divisional rivals actually stack up against one another.  For instance, last year the Hamilton Tiger-Cats had a better record against East Division teams than Saskatchewan had against West Division teams.  The problem is that the full interlocking schedule impedes divisional comparisons.

The playoff problem, or annual "Westover", would be solved by returning to a partially interlocking schedule, as was done in 1980 and before, and a return to the traditional three teams in each division qualifying for the playoffs.  This format also preserves the historical significance of the Grey Cup to regional Canada, and makes the championship game better as it is more of a contest between East and West to see which division is better.

Generally, the full interlocking schedule has favoured the West Division.  The fourth place team crosses over to the East, and loses, and then the Grey Cup is a game where the best team on that day wins.  It's not a true Canadian east-west event.  The history of the Grey Cup is being lost by the erosion of the East and West Division.  Put a greater distance between the two divisions during the regular season, and let the Grey Cup Game be more meaningful than a celebration of Canada; it will be a showdown of east versus west.  And that's what made the CFL great in the first place.

Thanks.
I'd say the interlocking schedule still favours the East in that East teams have fewer teams to beat out in order to make the playoffs, even with the crossover.

I too would prefer the schedule to be less interlocking, however, for the reasons you explain above....especially if we actually get a 5th East team in Halifax.

Having said that, I'm not sure anymore if fans like you and I who prefer really separate divisions are the majority or the future. Younger fans and Canadians seem less interested in regionalism.

CFL Pete

The teams in the Grey Cup do matter to attendance.  The local market was flooded with tickets last year after Ottawa was ousted.  It was going to be worse, and will be, in the event of a West versus West Grey Cup.  Can you imagine the crowd at Edmonton if the game is between Hamilton and Montreal?  Re-install an emphasis on regional play during the regular season, abandon the "westover" playoff format, and protect the integrity of an East versus West championship.

sambo42

Its not feasible in the CFL not to have a full interlocking schedule... its doesn't make sense for Winnipeg to play BC 4 times in a season potentially... I would prefer to see all the other teams play, rather than just seeing the same teams over and over.

PTBO Dave

The teams in the Grey Cup do matter to attendance.  The local market was flooded with tickets last year after Ottawa was ousted.  It was going to be worse, and will be, in the event of a West versus West Grey Cup.  Can you imagine the crowd at Edmonton if the game is between Hamilton and Montreal?  Re-install an emphasis on regional play during the regular season, abandon the "westover" playoff format, and protect the integrity of an East versus West championship.
Would a Grey Cup in Edmonton featuring Hamilton vs Montreal draw any worse than one featuring BC and Montreal?

I'm not so sure it really matters to many young fans anymore. Sure fans want to see their own local team in the Cup, but beyond that do they really care about and root for the other teams in their division?

Hank01

Its not feasible in the CFL not to have a full interlocking schedule... its doesn't make sense for Winnipeg to play BC 4 times in a season potentially... I would prefer to see all the other teams play, rather than just seeing the same teams over and over.
Exactly ,  Especially when there is 10 teams it nicely balances itself and it promotes  league stars  league wide . 

You now actually get a fair and balanced system that is based on 10 teams overall records . 

Never understand why anyone would want to make a small league smaller . You already have a rivalry why ruin it with unnecessary repetition . It makes that one game on the schedule so much sweeter and more important 

Why would you deny a fan one year from not seeing a player or team that they like ? 

Not everyone is a fan of that particular team but they maybe fans of the CFL and would like to see a particular city or player . Especially the Rider base that we see in the East it would be misguided to remove the Riders from Ottawa's schedule . 

PTBO Dave

It is feasible if you prefer seeing division rivals more. Some do prefer that. Others prefer the full interlocking so you don't see the same match-ups so often. I think if they go full interlocking for the regular season, they should also do so for the playoffs.

Hank01

The teams in the Grey Cup do matter to attendance.  The local market was flooded with tickets last year after Ottawa was ousted.  It was going to be worse, and will be, in the event of a West versus West Grey Cup.  Can you imagine the crowd at Edmonton if the game is between Hamilton and Montreal?  Re-install an emphasis on regional play during the regular season, abandon the "westover" playoff format, and protect the integrity of an East versus West championship.
Would a Grey Cup in Edmonton featuring Hamilton vs Montreal draw any worse than one featuring BC and Montreal?

I'm not so sure it really matters to many young fans anymore. Sure fans want to see their own local team in the Cup, but beyond that do they really care about and root for the other teams in their division?
  Especially when you should be selling those tickets way before the division finals . If you haven't good luck and hand them out with pizza .

It may actually cause a renewed interest because now you can get new combination of finalists in the cup . With different match ups you get different Stories and may increase that rivalry even more especially in the East.

In the NFL the Super Bowl does alright with Philadelphia and New England both coming from the same area . Baseball has done alright with the Yankees vs Mets or San Francisco vs Oakland in the world series .

Manufacturing the east or west representative yearly and not promoting the regular season seeding may not be the best way to grow this league as we have done that extensively for years and it's no longer resonating in regular season ticket growth . Not sure as a whole but some fans may feel they are being manipulated into something that is not genuine .

Users Online

113 Guests, 15 Users (20 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
safetyblitz, heapbag, ticatbill, Grover, FootbalYouBet, GHT120, alphamale111, KevinRiley2, letsgoticats, Onemoredork, BillyDee87, Google (AdSense) (12), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 179. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)