Grover

I know what you are thinking, so just stop it!  :o

“The new ball is virtually identical, to the eye, to the old one. It has the same laces and markings including our stripes. But it is made of a slightly harder leather. Our partners at Wilson say that allows it to hold its pebbles better.”
The new ball may also be just a tiny fraction larger. It is the same length as the old one. But Wilson provides a range for what constitutes an acceptable circumference upon inflation and that could be up to an eighth of an inch larger for the new ball.
During 2017, CFL clubs were given the opportunity to test, at mini-camps and in training camp, the Wilson ball used in the NFL. Feedback from quarterbacks indicated they preferred the laces used on CFL balls but the leather of the NFL balls.
General managers subsequently proposed that the league adopt a new ball that has the laces, stripes and other markings of the old CFL ball but the leather and size of the NFL ball. The Board of Governors recently discussed the change at its winter meetings and the new balls were ordered.
MORE HERE
http://3downnation.com/2018/03/19/cfl-unveils-new-and-improved-footballs/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

sth1988

I guess I can't wear "our balls are bigger" tshirt anymore.

Hank01

NFL leather with CFL stitching and laces is just a great common sense solution to getting the best equipment out there to make the game better . Nice update .

Aerial

Absolutely Hank and I like that the league included players with the testing.  Nice!  Not touting myself but I remember even myself as a 5' 8 incher 150 pound high school player way back when, I was able to throw a spiral with that ball, the J5V,  at the time that was much bigger than the ball nowadays, not always of course but I wasn't even a qb.  I was a receiver/rb/d back who wanted to be a qb.  :-*

As far as the stripes, I don't care, the CFL used a ball with no stripes at one time but if the players don't think the stripes are an issue for throwing or catching, keep the stripes.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

rpaege

I'd like to buy one and keep in a case. Anybody know when/where they'll be available?

everyman

I'd like to buy one and keep in a case. Anybody know when/where they'll be available?
Yeah...for me as a collectable I going to buy last years ball...never to be used again. I will try and find a game used one.

FootbalYouBet

not sure what the pros prefer, but I always preferred kicking fatter balls.  The bigger they are the harder they fall

I still have my old J5V in pretty good shape.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

EZ Football

No pics of the proposed ball?  Geez....

Can't rely on the media folks at all.

Grover

#OurBallsAreHarder

depopulationINC

erm, it says that i anything it is bigger than the old one.

Abendschan

No pics of the proposed ball?  Geez....

Can't rely on the media folks at all.
Opening post by Grover has a pic... 

Bayargonaut00

erm, it says that i anything it is bigger than the old one.
our balls havent actually been bigger for while(30 years from whenever this piece was written), in fact the acceptable range has been smaller for some time. fairly reliable source too

https://cfldb.ca/faq/equipment/#what-is-the-size-of-cfl-football
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point

Grover

From Esks long snapper Ryan King

Ryan King‏Verified account 
@ryanking46
 22h22 hours ago
Ryan King Retweeted CFL
Huge news in upgrading our #CFL footballs - Going to #NFL leather is much better grip when wet/cold/frozen + can be made into much better gameday footballs

brianjoxx

Very nice. I'll buy one to.

Users Online

95 Guests, 16 Users (13 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, RichardVeilleux, ticatsforever2, ticats28, OskeeweeneeVI, pdson2, Balticfox, letsgoticats, mr62cats, Iconic SR, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (6), Baidu, Alexa

Most Online Today: 151. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)