FootbalYouBet

there is no doubt that Carter made a great catch that is sometimes referred to as a Backhand Catch.  However, good that it was, it was not all it is made out to be.

First part, putting his right hand out to knock it down, was quite simply the same way a right handed outfielder catches a ball going to the left of him.  Same motion, same hand position, same instinct.

Second part, the knee comes up.  This is a common reflex action.  Do it almost every time I drop something, including once a knife, ouch.

Third part, also athletic instinctive reflex.  Bring the arm down in a swoop to catch what you dropped.  Do it all the time because I keep dropping stuff from above my head.

Putting it all together in such a way as Carter did definitely makes it a great catch, but I believe I have seen better, like Champions catch and Burnhams catch.
You make it sound like anyone could make the catch... question is, would YOU be able to?... somehow, I think not... ::)
In all honesty, I think I could have, however, I do not think I could have made Burnhams catch.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

sambo42

FYB, I'm pretty skeptical that you can make a catch like Carter's....appreciate the great catches, no matter who makes them.

Iconic SR

I'm skeptical that anyone posting in here can analytically critique or perform to the same level at catching a football as a current CFL pro receiver.

It's amazing the levels of expertise we can achieve when posting on the internet anonymously.

FootbalYouBet

FYB, I'm pretty skeptical that you can make a catch like Carter's....appreciate the great catches, no matter who makes them.
obviously you only have my word, but in my day I constantly awed people with catches I made as both receiver and defensive player.  I had the raw talent and speed to have played no worse than backup for few yrs in CFL.  Unfortunately, I was too small and not tough enough, and very unstable life, so it became a pipe dream.  For about 15 yrs from 11-26, I was the fastest in any game I played and often the best and always one of the best for almost 20 before I started to slow down a lot.

When I judge for myself the greatness of a catch, I always put myself in same place and decide if I could have made the catch and the degree of difficulty for me.  Same with when a receiver or DB doesn't make a play I think they should have made, wrong choice, wrong angle, etc.

I really wish I could have a highlight reel of my best catches and plays.  I excelled at almost every position of flag or touch football.  Punter, fg kicker, kickoff, receiver, db, pass rusher, punt/kick returner.  Didn't have a good arm for QB but if no one else wanted to do it, I could manage a good scrambling short game.

I am not saying this to brag, just fact no brag, but to say where I am coming from when I give my opinion on plays.  

FootbalYouBet

I would like to say for anyone who may have the wrong idea, it is not my intention to diss carter.  If I am dissing anyone, it is the media for making more of the catch than I think they should.  Carter has amazing physical ability, there is no denying that, nor do I want to.

Iconic SR

Age can sometimes make us dramatize or romanticize the past. Are there any highlights or pics or video of these great catches from back in the day?

FootbalYouBet

its ok.  I understand reluctance to believe me but I can only say what I believe and have experienced.  

I have also seen many others playing flag and touch that have made amazing catches.  It isn't reserved for the pros.   Also many great passers that one couldn't help but wonder if they would go pro or why not.

PTBO Dave

The Catch is back.

Please keep on topic and be respectful of one another.

DAN38

obviously you only have my word, but in my day I constantly awed people with catches I made as both receiver and defensive player.  I had the raw talent and speed to have played no worse than backup for few yrs in CFL.  Unfortunately, I was too small and not tough enough, and very unstable life, so it became a pipe dream.  For about 15 yrs from 11-26, I was the fastest in any game I played and often the best and always one of the best for almost 20 before I started to slow down a lot.

When I judge for myself the greatness of a catch, I always put myself in same place and decide if I could have made the catch and the degree of difficulty for me.  Same with when a receiver or DB doesn't make a play I think they should have made, wrong choice, wrong angle, etc.

I really wish I could have a highlight reel of my best catches and plays.  I excelled at almost every position of flag or touch football.  Punter, fg kicker, kickoff, receiver, db, pass rusher, punt/kick returner.  Didn't have a good arm for QB but if no one else wanted to do it, I could manage a good scrambling short game.

I am not saying this to brag, just fact no brag, but to say where I am coming from when I give my opinion on plays.  
   I understand what you are saying, FYB. I was good at every sport I played. Hockey, soccer, baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, swimming, gymnastics and more. In track I won every event. If circumstances had been different I would have been in the NHL. Did some speed skating too. In my twenties I played a lot of baseball. Teams wanted me and I loved playing, not only to win but just to play. I'm not bragging either. Those days are long gone.
  When you are very athletic I guess you look at a sport differently from others.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

FootbalYouBet

Yeah, it is easier to be impressed when you cannot put yourself in their shoes, then again, it is easier to be more critical when you cannot put yourself in their shoes, :)

canadianfootballfan

Yeah, it is easier to be impressed when you cannot put yourself in their shoes, then again, it is easier to be more critical when you cannot put yourself in their shoes, :)
"Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, but after that who cares?  He's a mile away, and you've got his shoes!"

-Unknown source

DAN38

This may be part of the reason I see spectacular but unnecessary catches. Some of these guys are risking dropping the ball in order to make a highlight reel. It sort of reminds me of the back through the legs shots in hockey. We don't see highlights of the misses in either sport, do we ?

If I'm a coach and we need that TD and you drop it because you were posing, I'm pissed.

FootbalYouBet

This may be part of the reason I see spectacular but unnecessary catches. Some of these guys are risking dropping the ball in order to make a highlight reel. It sort of reminds me of the back through the legs shots in hockey. We don't see highlights of the misses in either sport, do we ?

If I'm a coach and we need that TD and you drop it because you were posing, I'm pissedir
what bugs me as well is when the ball is over thrown on their other shoulder.  Usually they just try to back peddle and mostly don't make it when if they just kept running full speed and swiveled their head around, they are more likely to catch up to it.  I believe there may be some adage about not taking eyes of the ball, but I never found it hard to relocate again.

PTBO Dave

A pretty good one for the Stamps tonight:

FootbalYouBet

A pretty good one for the Stamps tonight:

safe to say I never could have made that  catch. :)

Users Online

88 Guests, 25 Users (15 Spiders, 7 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
hendy77, VICIOUSCIRCLE, SeaFiddle, Mightygoose, rhymes with orange, RBFan2014, chosa84, Hammertown Proud, rcon, Dexter, Dr.Whiskey, Shipyard, catsteelers2002, Ticatfan94, Grover, GOTC1, StampsRock!, ArgoFan1, Google (AdSense) (9), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)