FootbalYouBet

there is no doubt that Carter made a great catch that is sometimes referred to as a Backhand Catch.  However, good that it was, it was not all it is made out to be.

First part, putting his right hand out to knock it down, was quite simply the same way a right handed outfielder catches a ball going to the left of him.  Same motion, same hand position, same instinct.

Second part, the knee comes up.  This is a common reflex action.  Do it almost every time I drop something, including once a knife, ouch.

Third part, also athletic instinctive reflex.  Bring the arm down in a swoop to catch what you dropped.  Do it all the time because I keep dropping stuff from above my head.

Putting it all together in such a way as Carter did definitely makes it a great catch, but I believe I have seen better, like Champions catch and Burnhams catch.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

depopulationINC

I don't care what league or what level or what team someone is on...that is one of the most impressive catches you will see.  SJ Green has a few stunning ones himself, and may top this one with the one he caught while diving out the back of the endzone...somehow getting in.  

Interestingly...when interviewed about that catch recently, Carter said straight up it was luck.

Bit of a stupid video overall, but he is pretty honest...I do like how straight up he can be in interviews..even if it is mixed which a lot of over the top self-righteousness at times....but I think even that is generally in fun.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/riders-play-the-rating-game~1407397

Abendschan

And, the DB on the said play had the best positioning you can ask of a player too I think.

CFL in QC

That was luck...
This is for real !

Ben Cahoun

Iconic SR

Was the best catch in the CFL last season. Looking forward to seeing more of those from DC on both sides of the ball.

Bo - are you out there??

DAN38

I find a lot of these one hand catches are unnecessary. It's a fad that shows the receiver is more concerned about himself than the team. Some are legit but if two hands are available, use them.... I won't name names.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Abendschan

I find a lot of these one hand catches are unnecessary. It's a fad 
Well, in essence got to love the bulldozer - Big Nik Lewis woot woot....

ArgoT

Carter's catch is close, but for me Tony Champion's at the '89 GC was the best, together with the best ever football game that I have seen, period.

White stallion gallops

Good post!
Most make it sound like Carter caught the ball with his crossed over had, if hand he just used in to coral the ball downward, second I still maintain  he used the opponent as a kakapult to lift himself.
It was a nice catch but it wasn't a clutch moment catch!
Because it's Duron Carter, it gets over played and over hyped

DAN38

Carter's catch is close, but for me Tony Champion's at the '89 GC was the best, together with the best ever football game that I have seen, period.
    Fantastic game and catch, Argo. I was at that GC, were you ? My brother was a big Ti-cat fan, still is.

Aerial

Equally if not better than Dwight Clark's catch.  BTW, RIP Dwight.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

BCRiderFan

Good post!
Most make it sound like Carter caught the ball with his crossed over had, if hand he just used in to coral the ball downward, second I still maintain  he used the opponent as a kakapult to lift himself.
It was a nice catch but it wasn't a clutch moment catch!
Because it's Duron Carter, it gets over played and over hyped
No bias in that post. Sorry, was that sarcasm?
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

bobo82

Fantastic game and catch, Argo. I was at that GC, were you ? My brother was a big Ti-cat fan, still is.
For me one of the best I've ever seen was McManus to Brown . It ranks right up there with Kerrigan to Champion when you talk about Greatest of All time lists .  And yes I was at that Grey Cup in the snow and I am still amazed that "Downtown" Eddie Brown somehow actually caught that ball in those conditions and took it to the house for six . By the way I would rank that "96" game right up there with the "89" classic as one of the best GC ever played and both were two of the best games I've ever seen as well.......except for the fact that for me the wrong team won on both occasions . The only thing worse than seeing the Ti-Cats lose the Grey Cup is watching the Argos win the Grey Cup....especially when it's played in our own stadium . :'(

"Downtown" Eddie Brown...Grey Cup "96"

It's no surprise that both these amazing catches made TSN top 10 All-time Greatest lists .

Tony "the Champ" Champion...Grey Cup "89"

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

DAN38

Those two amazing catches were made with both hands !...

Two great GCs.

Thanks Bobo.

sambo42

there is no doubt that Carter made a great catch that is sometimes referred to as a Backhand Catch.  However, good that it was, it was not all it is made out to be.

First part, putting his right hand out to knock it down, was quite simply the same way a right handed outfielder catches a ball going to the left of him.  Same motion, same hand position, same instinct.

Second part, the knee comes up.  This is a common reflex action.  Do it almost every time I drop something, including once a knife, ouch.

Third part, also athletic instinctive reflex.  Bring the arm down in a swoop to catch what you dropped.  Do it all the time because I keep dropping stuff from above my head.

Putting it all together in such a way as Carter did definitely makes it a great catch, but I believe I have seen better, like Champions catch and Burnhams catch.
 You make it sound like anyone could make the catch... question is, would YOU be able to?... somehow, I think not... ::)

Users Online

83 Guests, 24 Users (16 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Iconic SR, ticats4242ticats, Lyle B. Style, FormerlyTurkish, stevehvh, brianjoxx, sportsfan100, rcon, djrobertson2017, hendy77, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Ferg, rhymes with orange, Taleback, SeaFiddle, Mightygoose, RBFan2014, chosa84, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)