brianjoxx

Well he starting to realize the strength of CFL. Opportunity to all cities.
Thanks Commissioner.

brianjoxx

Nice comment on CFL dis-tractors.

Argo Tailgater

I was thinking how nice it would be if the CFL were to do a WEBCAST of the commisioners meeting in each city, for the fans who are unable to attend.
You would have thought so, but I guess not. 

hawthy

Hi all,

Sorry it took me longer than expected to post a summary. I'll add things as I remember that as I was unable to bring my laptop with the set up of the event:

Here's a link to some of it:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/football/randys-road-trip-lands-in-ottawa-fans-speak-to-cfl-commish 

OTTAWA TOWN HALL

-> Goal is to have a team in Atlantic as soon as 2021 (best case)

-> 10 Team league would have 12 of 18 games vs same division (3 games vs all divisional opponents), and the remaining 6 games outside of your division (one home/away, two home, two away). You wouldn't see two teams play in your city, and two cities wouldn't see your team on a yearly basis.

-> Conducted several "show of hands" votes:
Regular season starting late may-early June: split relatively even in terms of leaving schedule as is and starting earlier. My sense was that the league would like to start earlier for for better American viewership/exposure and $$$$, but won't do it if the Canadian fans are strongly opposed.

Grey Cup starting mid-late afternoon instead of 6pm-later: slightly more hands went up in favour of earlier Grey Cups (most around 4pm window).

-> Subject of commercial breaks came up....basically said that is a television function....not too surprising that there wouldn't be much movement there

-> Exploring a "Kids Day" at all stadiums initiative for one home game per year

-> Was receptive to the suggestion of allowing a second challenge only if your first was successful

Sorry, I'll post more as I think of it. Just wanted to post something in the meantime....

Mightygoose

Thank you for the summary.

I wouldn't mind the Grey Cup starting at 4/4:30 pm EST. Kids can stay up later being a Sunday but how much does it pull the game away from more of the game in prime time. Sunday prime times are very good for a captive TV audience.

Xvys

I'd support an unbalanced schedule. In the west, games against the east are often a tough sell. Those are the games season ticket holders might skip, but would be keen for an extra Rider or Stamps visit. In B.C. the western games draw a lot more interest. If Hamilton or Montreal, for example, only visited every second year, that might pique more interest for those games too.

I liked Ambrosie's recent comments in Red Deer, I believe, that if players want increased salaries, perhaps they should get a job in the off-season like he did. :)

hawthy

I'd support an unbalanced schedule. In the west, games against the east are often a tough sell. Those are the games season ticket holders might skip, but would be keen for an extra Rider or Stamps visit. In B.C. the western games draw a lot more interest. If Hamilton or Montreal, for example, only visited every second year, that might pique more interest for those games too.

I liked Ambrosie's recent comments in Red Deer, I believe, that if players want increased salaries, perhaps they should get a job in the off-season like he did. :)
On top of that, the $$$$ savings from less travel is a big deal in the CFL. If you're, picking a random team here, Hamilton....replacing a stop in BC and Saskatchewan for stops in Toronto and Ottawa is a big deal in that regard.

To your point on west home games vs the east being a tough sell...really? I'm not disputing your claim at all, I just didn't know that was a thing. I mean, I get if you're a Bomber fan being extra jacked for the Riders and vice versa, Hamilton/Toronto....Calgary/Edmonton....same deal. No argument that those games sell more tickets in most of those cities. But in a league where you get (excluding pre season and post season home dates, which only 4 of the 9 teams get anyway) 9 home games/year, there are "tough sell" games based on opponent? I don't know, maybe new car smell hasn't worn off the REDBLACKS yet, or maybe they don't have a true rival yet, but I'm pumped for REDBLACKS games.

I do like, though, that there will be emphasis put on divisional games in that scenario. The balance it strikes on the scheduling side of things also makes sense.

Also agreed on building intrigue when a cross divisional opponent comes to town when you don't see them live every season.

pw13

My counter to that is that I want to see every team in my building at least once a year, and I would get sick of seeing the same teams (division rivals) all the time. If the most entertaining team in the league is not visiting my city in any given year, I lose out as a fan.

Hank01

My counter to that is that I want to see every team in my building at least once a year, and I would get sick of seeing the same teams (division rivals) all the time. If the most entertaining team in the league is not visiting my city in any given year, I lose out as a fan.
 Especially if there is a player on that team who has star quality or you have an allegiance to a western team living in the east and vice versa . 

He sounds like he sees the disparity in the divisions and wants it patched over by reversing time and going into a heavily laden divisional match up schedule . I get that .

Just wish we could get over this divisional delusion in a small league and just balance the schedule and let the best 6 make the play offs . Let the better record get the byes and home field advantage like a normal common sense league . Have  champions who go thru the gauntlet from day 1 to the last day impartial to geography with legitimate regular season seedings .

I also want to see all 9 teams visit when we go to 10 and not go backwards in time .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

Xvys

Well, there's something to be said for a balanced schedule too. In a 10-team league, each team has 9 opponents = one home & away vs every team. Perfection. B.C. travelling to Halifax once each season along with Halifax to Vancouver, Calgary, Edm, Regina and Wpg. I hope they get frequent flyer miles! 

But I don't believe 3 games vs. division rivals is necessarily over exposure. Spread the games out so you play the same team every 6 or 7 weeks (over a 20 week season), i.e.

Ottawa visiting Montreal in June; 
Montreal visiting Ottawa in August; 
Ottawa visiting Montreal in October; (alternate the next season)

Over exposure would be when Winnipeg played Hamilton 5 times by Week 7 in 2010 (incl. final preseason game.) ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie encourages players to have off-season jobs

TORONTO — Commissioner Randy Ambrosie offered a solution Friday to CFL players looking to make more money: Find an off-season job.
“Our players at the end of the season are free to work and frankly I personally encourage them to do that,” Ambrosie said in an interview on the CFL website. “That’s how I built my career.
“I worked during the season as well but I certainly worked full-time in the off-season and I’d encourage our guys to do that. To start building an opportunity for their after-football life which, frankly, comes up more quickly than you would think when you’re in the game.”

More: https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/sports/cfl-commissioner-randy-ambrosie-encourages-players-to-have-off-season-jobs/

Argo Tailgater

Thank you for the summary.

I wouldn't mind the Grey Cup starting at 4/4:30 pm EST. Kids can stay up later being a Sunday but how much does it pull the game away from more of the game in prime time. Sunday prime times are very good for a captive TV audience.
I don’t see much benefit bumping the game by two hours. At 4:00p the sun is going down in east, so the game is in the dark and the temperature could still be cold. I was at the last two Grey Cups and temperature was fine for both. 

Keep it in prime time on Sunday night for east. I think better for the westerns too.  The Grey Cup is most respected and supported part of the CFL, be careful tinkering with the winning recipe. Otherwise you might end up with New Coke on your hands. 

drummer_god

The benefit would be to those who attend grey cup parties and have work the next morning. 

VICIOUSCIRCLE

I like Ambrosie alot, but the only thing I disagree with is that he says players get offseason jobs to make more money. The CFL is a professional league and alot has changed since he played. The salary cap needs to go higher and players need to get paid more so they can devote their time 24 - 7 / 365 to being a professional football player. With that attitude more players will just want to leave asap. It's time for the CFL to grow and grow up a bit.
12 year BC Lions Seasons Ticket Holder. \":rockin:\"

Cool

I agree with that as well.  No back to back games either.  If you lose badly, you don't want to see that team for a month or more, when personnel changes have taken place, and you have a shot at retribution.  If you want that kind of aspect, contract to 16 games and I might play along...

An additional remark; don't get rid of the crossover either...
Pull Together everyone

RM14

The gist of the message in Calgary today was that the fan experience is the #1 priority. 

Noted that Ottawa has a neat set-up in the end-zone with the "worlds longest bar rail" and that it's very interesting to him how that the atmosphere is more like a party. 

Looking at standing seating could be a focus for certain areas of each stadium. 

I wonder how much it would cost to transform some of the empty endzone sections at McMahon into standing section with bar rails. 
GO STAMPS GO

Users Online

65 Guests, 0 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (11), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)