brianjoxx

Montreal at top of list. Then Toronto where fans will NOT go to a mini stadium.

Iconic SR

But TO has had both. Big and small. Can’t fill either.
Let the rest of the league drag TO forward. 

MrLucky

...there’s actually five jumps, and while the athletes train here the actual jumps themselves are not well loved by the athletes, we’ll, the two bigs ones anyways...in a nutshell, they face the wrong way...prevailing winds come from the west and all the jumps face virtually due north, so a cross wind is almost always in effect and this makes actual flying on the big jumps difficult...the skiers use the COP facility for dry land training and the smaller jumps for technique training but when it come to actual big jump flying then it’s off to Whistler or Europe for this, unless the wind is blowing right...

....the cost decision I spoke of is not so much the jumps themselves, they are in fine shape, but more so the viewing stands and media boxes...those disintegrated after the 88 games...ski flying is not a big sport after all....
I'll add to this ...

With the advancement of technique, gear, etc of the athletes, on the "big jump" the jumpers would actually jump out of the landing zone, in the current facilities at COP. This would obviously create an unsafe environment for the athletes and the spectators.

COP WAS state of the art, back in 1988 ... the next games would be in 2026.

<Insert Smoking Cowboy Here>

**Edit ** and had I kept reading through the thread, I would have seen that someone already mentioned this ... whoopsies!

jonny24eh

The stadium is the best part of the "new" Argos. It's also the largest stadium in the east I believe.  And it has roofs. 
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat\'em raw!

brianjoxx

But TO has had both. Big and small. Can’t fill either.
Let the rest of the league drag TO forward.
The league is dragging them. If you noticed. Toronto would be second in line for new creative facility!

TravelPat1

Not a new stadium - but some apparent changes coming for the north and south ends of BMO Field that will have some impact on the Argos' fans. This according to what the Argos' co-tenant's President was telling media today.

They announced they hope to make the north end seating that was available for the Argos and TFC playoff games this year a permanent structure. They also plan to make changes to the south endzone seats with plans to introduce 'safe standing' to some sections in that end by 2020.  Basically that means removing the seats and just separating the rows with railings. 

project.legacy

Odd that Pat only shows up when something involves TFC.

TravelPat1

Odd that Pat only shows up when something involves TFC.
Might that have something to do with the pattern that media stories related to changes to and expansion of BMO Field always are related to the needs of one of the two tenants at BMO - and that tends not to be the team in blue?

A little more on the proposed changes. It sounds like the south end will still have fold out 'rail seats' of some sort for the Argos' fans.

“We would have to make a capital investment to make the whole south end standing room, and that’s something we’re looking forward to do.“It will be done. Mark my words. It will be done.

“It won’t be done for next season. My hope is we can get that done for the 2019 season and I’ve told everyone downtown I’d like to have it done at least by 2020, because I think having the safe standing would be such a big... look, they stand all game anyway.

“Sometimes we get chairs broken - it takes out a lot of hassles, actually. So we’re hoping to get that done.”

Manning appeared to suggest the safe standing will take the form of rail seating, as has been popularized by Bundesliga stadiums, to ensure that the south end can be used normally for Toronto Argonauts games.

“It’ll still have a fold-out seat,” the president added. “That’s where that capital improvement comes in - we have to get it so that it’s fold-out.

“During TFC games, it obviously would just be folded back because they don’t sit anyway.”
This is what they look like in stadiums they already exist in over in Europe.

project.legacy

If it didn't involve TFC would you still post about it ?

TravelPat1

If it didn't involve TFC the story wouldn't exist - so there would be nothing to post now - would there? 

I would assume the new northend seats should be really cheap - an entry level price for Argos games and help get some new fans into the stadium - who might then upgrade to better seats in future seasons?  

Mightygoose

If it didn't involve TFC the story wouldn't exist - so there would be nothing to post now - would there?

I would assume the new northend seats should be really cheap - an entry level price for Argos games and help get some new fans into the stadium - who might then upgrade to better seats in future seasons?  
The north end zone seats we're not for general sale on ticket master for the East Final and were still about half full. My guess it would be similar to group sales, so yes more entry level price points and no season ticket holder pricing. Maybe have a sponsor similar to the 'Roger Zone' lead in price point (10.00) at Marlies games

Gonna miss the open endzone standing room. It's a good hand out place but it's all about creating new revenue 

project.legacy

Sorry, not sorry, but you seem to only post when you can somehow involve TFC, the Blue Jays or Raptors.

brianjoxx

Have to admit Calgary could use more washrooms and a partial roof

BCRiderFan

Have to admit Calgary could use more washrooms and a partial roof

And individual seats instead of benches, but that can't be done because of the size of the concrete rows or something apparently. It needs to be torn down.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

TravelPat1

When they were building Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton the original thought was to tear down the south and east stands and renovate the north stands to make it all seats.  But the concrete rows were too narrow and it would have been more expensive to try to modify that than tear it down and build an entirely new stadium.  

Users Online

70 Guests, 15 Users (6 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Corey.the.tiger, xlnt, rhymes with orange, yougottabekidding, ticatbill, Holy Mackinaw, EastVanMark, DavidThompson, mike619, KJF, CFL in QC, SeaFiddle, Lyle B. Style, letsgoticats, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)