jonny24eh

The Wolfpack did manage to pull 7000 average at Lamport, and it's not even the type of rugby we play here. 
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat\'em raw!

The Last Word

BC - over $500 million in renovations completed in 2011
Edmonton - $200 million in renovations completed in 2012
Regina - new stadium completed in 2017
Winnipeg - new stadium completed in 2013
Ottawa - renovation of one stand and construction of a new stand completed in 2014
Montreal - renovation/expansion completed in 2010 for Percival Molson Stadium, renovation to Olympic Stadium has already begun with several phases to be complete over the next several years, including a new roof
Toronto - renovation/expansion to BMO Field in 2016
Hamilton - new stadium completed in 2014

That essentially leaves Calgary which has not seen a significant renovation/expansion to McMahon Stadium in a long time.  The best they can probably hope for is a moderate renovation to the stadium.  The ownership needs to put some skin in the game in order to receive some public funding...maybe a ticket tax over a 10 to 20-year period.  At best, I can see a $25 - $50 million reno, nothing substantial in the $100 million range.  The stadium has no structural issues as far as I know so I doubt there is any urgent need to replace it.

I don't see Calgary winning the 2026 Winter Olympics either, not with their proposal to have the games in 3 areas - Calgary, Edmonton and Whistler...good luck with that.  OUtside of long shot Halifax, there is nothing else on the horizon.

beaglehound

...meanwhile, back at McMahon, the lone groundskeeper begins to prepare...

ROTFLMHO!

Oh man RedandWhite.  You out did yourself with that one.  I didn't see that one coming.  At least it isn't artificial turf! 

KevinRiley2

The Stamps should have asked for a new / upgraded stadium when times were good.  When Alberta was flush with cash.  To ask now is begging for rejection.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Iconic SR

The Stamps should have asked for a new / upgraded stadium when times were good.  When Alberta was flush with cash.  To ask now is begging for rejection.
The NDP Gov’t in Alberta won’t throw a dime at any privately owned sports ownership group for a new stadium. Those two sides simply don’t speak the same language. 

Grover

Good read here on the "Big Owe" in Montreal

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-owing-never-ends-at-the-big-o-montreals-olympicstadium/article37169871/?

"Quebec's provincial government, owner of Canada's biggest stadium, will spend $200-million to $300-million to replace the Big O's 20-year-old roof, a public-safety hazard peppered with 8,000 patched holes." 

SSK spent less than $300M on this

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

EastVanMark

Talk of a new arena was around back then too but the thought was with the economy being so hot back then, it would push construction company says the though the roof. 

So apparently  theres No “good time” to build a stadium 

The Last Word

The NDP Gov’t in Alberta won’t throw a dime at any privately owned sports ownership group for a new stadium. Those two sides simply don’t speak the same language.
It doesn't matter which provincial government is in charge in Alberta.  They will not throw a dime at pro sports facility unless there is a significant amateur component involved.  Edmonton's new arena did not receive any provincial funding.

Taleback

I don't see Calgary winning the 2026 Winter Olympics either, not with their proposal to have the games in 3 areas - Calgary, Edmonton and Whistler...good luck with that.  
Why would they need Whistler when they have Banff, with it's world class skiing and trails, an hour away?

Iconic SR

I can't see them spreading out Olympics over such a vast area, unless that's a new model they're trying in order to increase attendance and spread out the costs? Most TV viewers wouldn't know if Whistler was 10 hours or 10 minutes from Calgary, so I can't see TV viewership changing much, but I can see how many events don't get as many ticket purchasers because there are so many and conflict time wise. Having events spread to different regions could increase attendance at each event as the area could support it.

RedandWhite

I don't see Calgary winning the 2026 Winter Olympics either, not with their proposal to have the games in 3 areas - Calgary, Edmonton and Whistler...good luck with that.  
Why would they need Whistler when they have Banff, with it's world class skiing and trails, an hour away?
...as far as I am aware the only event being considered for Whistler is ski jumping, as the facility there is in far better shape than our ski jumping facility here at COP...the decision to be weighed is the cost of holding one event there versus upgrading the facility here...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Iconic SR

...as far as I am aware the only event being considered for Whistler is ski jumping, as the facility there is in far better shape than our ski jumping facility here at COP...the decision to be weighed is the cost of holding one event there versus upgrading the facility here...
Whats up with the COP ski jump track? I thought that this is where our elite jumpers train? It has two jumps, the hill, and surrounding facilities - only 30yrs old and I presume has been maintained all this time?

RedandWhite

...there’s actually five jumps, and while the athletes train here the actual jumps themselves are not well loved by the athletes, we’ll, the two bigs ones anyways...in a nutshell, they face the wrong way...prevailing winds come from the west and all the jumps face virtually due north, so a cross wind is almost always in effect and this makes actual flying on the big jumps difficult...the skiers use the COP facility for dry land training and the smaller jumps for technique training but when it come to actual big jump flying then it’s off to Whistler or Europe for this, unless the wind is blowing right...

....the cost decision I spoke of is not so much the jumps themselves, they are in fine shape, but more so the viewing stands and media boxes...those disintegrated after the 88 games...ski flying is not a big sport after all....

Iconic SR

...while the athletes train here the actual jumps themselves are not well utilized...in a nutshell, they face the wrong way...prevailing winds come from the west and the jumps face virtually due north, so a cross wind is almost always in effect and this makes actual flying on the big jumps difficult...the skiers use the COP facility for dry land training and the smaller jumps for technique training but when it come to actual big jump flying then it’s off to Whistler or Europe for this, unless the wind is blowing right...

....the cost decision I spoke of is not so much the jumps themselves, they are in fine shape, but more so the viewing stands and media boxes...those disintegrated after the 88 games...ski flying is not a big sport after all....
That's unfortunate. I remember these things being touted as 'best in the world' when the taxpayer was asked to pay for them. 

Aerial

Good read here on the "Big Owe" in Montreal

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-owing-never-ends-at-the-big-o-montreals-olympicstadium/article37169871/?

"Quebec's provincial government, owner of Canada's biggest stadium, will spend $200-million to $300-million to replace the Big O's 20-year-old roof, a public-safety hazard peppered with 8,000 patched holes."

SSK spent less than $300M on this

Albeit Saskatchewan had the advantage of dealing with more modern materials and stadium construction methods and knowledge comparing that to when the Big Owe was built.  Montreal should have forgotten about that roof, the technology just wasn't quite ready for prime time back then.  And they are still paying big-time for going ahead with that roof and construction style of the stadium to accomodate it.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Users Online

69 Guests, 15 Users (6 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Palmer, Corey.the.tiger, xlnt, rhymes with orange, yougottabekidding, ticatbill, Holy Mackinaw, EastVanMark, DavidThompson, mike619, KJF, CFL in QC, SeaFiddle, Lyle B. Style, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)