Aerial

I've never understood the NFL-only shills.
rpaege, I think that a fair percentage of these sorts are somewhat closet CFL fans, I mean if you love football in this country I think it would be hard to not watch at least the highlights of some of the fantastic games the CFL has and if you have any understanding and appreciation of history and culture in this country with respect to sports you wouldn't want to at least watch highlights of the Grey Cup if nothing else.

One thing that I underestimate is that people are under a lot of peer pressure to show on the surface they like or dislike what the leaders in their peer and friendship and family groupings do.  It's tough to be a lone rebel in your social groups.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Hank01

I've never understood the NFL-only shills.
rpaege, I think that a fair percentage of these sorts are somewhat closet CFL fans, I mean if you love football in this country I think it would be hard to not watch at least the highlights of some of the fantastic games the CFL has and if you have any understanding and appreciation of history and culture in this country with respect to sports you wouldn't want to at least watch highlights of the Grey Cup if nothing else.

One thing that I underestimate is that people are under a lot of peer pressure to show on the surface they like or dislike what the leaders in their peer and friendship and family groupings do.  It's tough to be a lone rebel in your social groups.
 I think the NFL only fans are cheating themselves . CFL being regarded as a minor league or maybe now a feeder league makes them sound superior in their tastes kinda bourgeoise class for football .

They are ridiculous snobs who constantly contrast the biggest and most profitable league in the world as being the only league worth watching . They forget that talent is never really monopolized and a Iceland with many amateurs can beat the best in the world at soccer or bunch of college kids can beat the best hockey team in the world any given Sunday . One of the great stories this year is a CFL like team in the NHL the LV Knights is actually in first place in the NHL . I love it .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

brihind88

I am confused why anybody would think this is a good idea? CFL isn't heavily played on TV sets in Europe, I don't think they even know our league exists. In order for anyone to come pay for a ticket to watch a sport on foreign soil they needs to be some sort of demand.

Last time the CFL played in the USA they marketed it to see Doug Flutie and Rocket Ismail, and they filled a minor baseball field in Portland, Oregon. I don't think it was a sell out but a decent crowd. They came to watch two players not the league, it didn't go anywhere and the CFL hasn't played in America since.

Id rather put the money towards growing the league in the Maritimes and showing another Touchdown Atlantic and having the CFL more involved there.
The 92 game in Portland did not have a good sell. Just a bit over half.

Portland Civic Stadium was 32,000

Portland was the first city the CFL wanted.

Test market. Yet when they saw the poor turn out, they looked at other areas.

Portland should have been the first red flag it would not work.

The second was the epic fail 93-95.

I can not believe anybody would want a 3rd attempt.

Hank01

To be fair Portland was a baseball stadium and the crowd in Portland was pretty good for the little old CFL .

I agree the experiment south was bad . If they venture south again I repeat myself but you need billionaires not millionaires and a TV contract guarantee from one of the four networks . It is essential New York City is involved . As the song says if you can make it there you can make it anywhere . There is inherent truths in that tune .

No southern expansion without real players as this will be an end game played by the CFL with the NFL . Last time they stated they would honour the code and have no cities with NFL teams but in reality that doesn't work as the NFL will not honour it in return with the Baltimore Raven's rebirth while the Stallions still existed .

The CFL south will be seen as a threat the only way around it is a true Spring league that has the NFL blessing and is controlled or annexed by the NFL .
Hopefully it will not be a feeder league or it will collapse here and there but it might be used as a expansion to money untapped from May to September by the NFL .
Nothing wrong in making the empire bigger and now you have an experimental league for the billionaires to play with new ideas for safety and rule changes . They can also tap some talent after the season is over into the bigger brother NFL Fall edition .

brihind88

Portland Stadium was muti purpose.

Football - soccer - baseball.

They had good football crowds for the WFL and USFL.

However, no interest for CFL even with the 2 big US stars in the CFL at the time.

BTW, just happened to be the 2 championship teams in the game even.

I keep wondering, how does such a proven failure and still bad idea keep being discussed ?

Hank01

However, no interest for CFL even with the 2 big US stars in the CFL at the time.

I keep wondering, how does such a proven failure and still bad idea keep being discussed ?
  Ah your not fair B88 that crowd was good for an exhibition game . Do we get those crowds here ? Stadiums are pretty empty here for exhibition games .I think Toronto would do cart wheels if they got over 15,000 for an exhibition game .

Miami had over 20,000 for Baltimore and Birmingham exhibition game in 1995 .

Seattle had 28,000 for a CFL game in 1961 also an exhibition game . 

That crowd dwarfs any crowd in the CFL East division in 2017

I am no advocate for moving south but if they do it again ; do it properly with well healed long term investors in major US cities or forget it . I think it's being discussed because of the league possibly becoming a Spring league which brings in the possibility of US expansion as a viable option as it no longer conflicts with the NFL and NCAA . 

Not advocating for it ; I want it the way it is with no changes except Canadian expansion . I just feel it's out of my control .

EastVanMark

I am confused why anybody would think this is a good idea? CFL isn't heavily played on TV sets in Europe, I don't think they even know our league exists. In order for anyone to come pay for a ticket to watch a sport on foreign soil they needs to be some sort of demand.

Last time the CFL played in the USA they marketed it to see Doug Flutie and Rocket Ismail, and they filled a minor baseball field in Portland, Oregon. I don't think it was a sell out but a decent crowd. They came to watch two players not the league, it didn't go anywhere and the CFL hasn't played in America since.

Id rather put the money towards growing the league in the Maritimes and showing another Touchdown Atlantic and having the CFL more involved there.

For what its worth, the capacity of Civic Stadium in Portland at the time was about 25,000 and change at the time for the CFL game. (some seats were not available due to poor sightlines as a result of the baseball configuration of the stadium at the time)

brihind88

Ah your not fair B88 that crowd was good for an exhibition game . Do we get those crowds here ? Stadiums are pretty empty here for exhibition games .I think Toronto would do cart wheels if they got over 15,000 for an exhibition game .

Miami had over 20,000 for Baltimore and Birmingham exhibition game in 1995 .

Seattle had 28,000 for a CFL game in 1961 also an exhibition game .

That crowd dwarfs any crowd in the CFL East division in 2017 .

I am no advocate for moving south but if they do it again ; do it properly with well healed long term investors in major US cities or forget it . I think it's being discussed because of the league possibly becoming a Spring league which brings in the possibility of US expansion as a viable option as it no longer conflicts with the NFL and NCAA .

Not advocating for it ; I want it the way it is with no changes except Canadian expansion . I just feel it's out of my control .
Portland 92 was not just a pre-season game.

This was the Grey Cup rematch. Featuring the CFL top 2 stars in Flutie and Rocket.

So, yes the attendance was very poor.

Do we get those here ? Of course not.

Season ticket holders and walk ups just do not have interest in pre-season.
Why would we ? Pre-season is just college kids trying to make the team.
They are not real games.

Further, I do not want the CFL to become an NFL development  league.

I have pointed out all the reasons NOT to have US expansion every time the debate comes up, so I will not go through it again. 

If people do not understand the repeat of past failures and the demise of the Canadian player and rules, there is nothing I can do but complain. 

Hank01

Totally agree with you on it being a dumb idea . Feeder league is not the answer . Where it loses it's dimness is when there is actual big money .

Billionaires wanting into the Spring version of the NFL ending in September is a great way to save our league ; if we are there yet . If it's done with minor cities with minor investment then it's minor league and it will die quickly taking our league with it  down the drain .

rcon

At the time, Portland Stadium had a capacity of 18,200. I watched the game and the place was close to capacity.

brihind88

At the time, Portland Stadium had a capacity of 18,200. I watched the game and the place was close to capacity.
Ok, I guess I was remembering the 85 USFL Portland stadium when it was 32,000.

Never the less, if it had remained at 32,000, they still would have had only the 15,000.

brihind88

I think you need to fix what you have and showcase the game in Canada.
It doesn't look like there are many CFL fans in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver coming out to games. Shouldn't you be figuring out how to get the fans there into the stadiums.

Why play games in the US or Europe?  that doesn't make sense,  you need more fans in your own country.
CFL games are showcased now on ESPN and on some sports network in Europe,  they don't need to actually show the game off by playing games there.
Interest from football fans in the US will only come if they are watching a Manziel comeback or a Josh Freeman comeback.
This is the best post in this pointless thread.

Hit the nail on the head.

No need to sell the game to Americans.

Sadly we need to sell it to Canadians. 

Nick 1963

Other than cost, there is just no interest in the CFL outside Canada.

In fact , I doubt England even know Canada has a league.
Some of us do  ;)

I'd love the CFL to play a game in Europe, preferably England, and preferably about 15 miles north of Liverpool (don't want to have to travel too far). However, from any sensible point of view, it makes no sense at all. 

The NFL sell out 3 or 4 games each year, but that is on the back of showing the SB live for the last 35 years on free to air television, and currently showing 5 games live each weekend on subscription channels. 

Last season was the first time, I'd been able to watch the CFL in England. It would take many years of careful marketing before the CFL could reasonably consider playing over here.

StampsRock!

Have to agree with Nick, would take many years of much more exposure.  But even then, the Brits would still consider it "American" football.  
Biggest Stamps fan in Red Deer!

BScorpinok75

Las Vegas would be about the best international site, drawing some of the thousands of Canadians in the city at any one time to the game, along with thousands of U.S. CFL fans who are scattered across America, but who follow the CFL on ESPN (it's not uncommon for a quarter million U.S. viewers to watch the entire 3-hour gamecast, which suggests the total number of unique viewers could reach 1 million or more per game.)

Some of these passionate American fans might make a CFL weekend sojourn to LV just like some Canadian fans of the teams playing (an example might be the Riders fans who congregate in Phoenix to watch a NHL game each year featuring some Sask. players). It might not be far-fetched to draw 15,000-20,000 for an exhibition game in LV, like the league did with it's game in Portland in '93.

The CFL also played a game in NYC and other U.S. cities. Other locations might include Boise, Grand Rapids, Rochester and Portland.

It's kind of ridiculous to contemplate playing CFL games across the pond, unless it was against a NFL team (flag football?) for charity, concussion research, etc.
I like the idea of some games being played in Boise, Grand Rapids, Portland...maybe...Hartford...

Users Online

60 Guests, 1 User (16 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pianoman8849, Google (14), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)