Aerial

What's the purpose of an International game other than to lose money?  :-*
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

ArgoT

I have always said they should play a game in Hawaii.
The problem is Honolulu, where I believe the U of H stadium that was always used for the Pro Bowl is way too small and cannot be increased to our dimensions.
Any game in the US would be stupid, but why would you choose the most isolated market?  What sense does that make?
Maybe isolated distance wise, but there have been a lot of players from that beautiful state in our league, not to mention the most notable of late coach June Jones and Chad Owens.
Owens has been followed extensively in our league by the islanders.
From a personal point of view, been there a few times and love the people and the different islands.
I would go again if my Argos were to play.
Aloha. 

brihind88

What's the purpose of an International game other than to lose money?  :-*
Right.

Just a bad idea.

Pointless but the good thing is let's not toss and turn over it.

It will never happen.  

ExPat

I have always said they should play a game in Hawaii.
The problem is Honolulu, where I believe the U of H stadium that was always used for the Pro Bowl is way too small and cannot be increased to our dimensions.
Any game in the US would be stupid, but why would you choose the most isolated market?  What sense does that make?
Maybe isolated distance wise, but there have been a lot of players from that beautiful state in our league, not to mention the most notable of late coach June Jones and Chad Owens.
Owens has been followed extensively in our league by the islanders.
From a personal point of view, been there a few times and love the people and the different islands.
I would go again if my Argos were to play.
Aloha.
Argos have already hosted a game in Fort McMurray.  You need to let other teams get in on the exotic locales.

-Hammer-

The only reason to do this is to gain exposure and try to expand TV revenue in the US. 

So in theory, if you don't encounter any issues with the labour laws, you can market it and pull a decent crowd and if you are going to do this.

You also have to do it during the summer, when US Football is non-existent. 

Even then, I think it's a tough sell, really the only places I can see making sense are Buffalo, Seattle and maybe Baltimore (because of the history) because you might still be able to pull from your existing base for one of these one offs.

GernB

A game in Europe or Japan in July or August would be alright if a sponsor could be found to cover all the costs. Otherwise, no.

BCRiderFan

The only reason to do this is to gain exposure and try to expand TV revenue in the US.

So in theory, if you don't encounter any issues with the labour laws, you can market it and pull a decent crowd and if you are going to do this.

You also have to do it during the summer, when US Football is non-existent.

Even then, I think it's a tough sell, really the only places I can see making sense are Buffalo, Seattle and maybe Baltimore (because of the history) because you might still be able to pull from your existing base for one of these one offs.
How many people would you expect in Seattle - 2,000? Family and friends? Can we put this topic to bed?
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

Aerial

I think the problem, or 'a' problem if you will,  is that too many people internationally would have the perception, unfortunate perception, just like a portion in Canada do, that Canadians just aren't that great of football players and requiring so many Canadians on the team and to start just doesn't cut the mustard.  I honestly think that there are a portion of people out there that believe that non-NFL players are in their minds "2nd rate" and Canadians after that are "3rd rate", on average, which is very unfortunate.

brihind88

I agree with BCRF.

Lets just stop this.  It is a non issue and topic.

Dumb idea. Not happening.

Wait, I take it back.

Let's try Sofia , Bulgaria.  That would work.

Iconic SR

What's the purpose of an International game other than to lose money?  :-*
Highly likely that’s all that would happen. Possibly even erode the brand or image of the CFL if attendance sucks. Very high risk.

Would be very nice to see a non-NFL (but large) city welcome and co-promote a CFL game, but unless it’s tied to an expansion possibility there, I can’t see any locals getting behind it. All the heavy lifting and cost of marketing etc would have to come from the CFL. And if they could afford that, then they could simply spend that money and effort at home and increase awareness where the existing CFL teams need it.

While we’re on the subject of CFL in other markets (US, or wherever), it makes me think that the current generalized attitudes of  ‘I only watch NFL’ or ‘CFL sucks or is a lesser product’ or even the oft Canadian attitude of ‘CFL or nothing’ - ALL of these attitudes hurts our CFL and the category of pro football in general. 

Why can’t we all be fans of pro football in North America, and enjoy both? I’m finding that my interest currently in the NFL playoffs and now SuperBowl - is seriously fanning the flames for my CFL too. I’m MORE excited about training camp and the 2018 season here - BECAUSE the NFL is currently in our face. Obviously we purchase tickets here where out teams are, and loyally watch our game - but why does there need to be an attitude of supremacy or derision - when it comes to one or the other? Maybe I’m simplifying things too much but I think the entire category of football  and football interest will grow - if football fans accepted (vs rejected) the differences of each league - and simply enjoyed watching pro football. Imagine what the TV ratings would be if more Americans tuned in to begin getting their football fix in the spring on TV here, when their game isn’t even available to them yet. 

Vermonter

Anchorage Alaska. 

Aerial

Why can’t we all be fans of pro football in North America, and enjoy both? I’m finding that my interest currently in the NFL playoffs and now SuperBowl - is seriously fanning the flames for my CFL too. I’m MORE excited about training camp and the 2018 season here - BECAUSE the NFL is currently in our face
Totally in sync with your thinking Iconic and I also find the NHL playoffs when fans are really excited and Blue Jays starting in the spring and MLB also gets me more excited to get the CFL going as strange as that might sound.  And anything really ie soccer on TV in the spring etc. 

Iconic SR

Why can’t we all be fans of pro football in North America, and enjoy both? I’m finding that my interest currently in the NFL playoffs and now SuperBowl - is seriously fanning the flames for my CFL too. I’m MORE excited about training camp and the 2018 season here - BECAUSE the NFL is currently in our face
Totally in sync with your thinking Iconic and I also find the NHL playoffs when fans are really excited and Blue Jays starting in the spring and MLB also gets me more excited to get the CFL going as strange as that might sound.  And anything really ie soccer on TV in the spring etc.
Spoken like a true sports fan. The energy, and the talent displayed, and the sportsmanship, the competition, and the craft work of the sports at that level - is simply intoxicating.  

rpaege

Spoken like a true sports fan. The energy, and the talent displayed, and the sportsmanship, the competition, and the craft work of the sports at that level - is simply intoxicating.  
Agreed. While I prefer the CFL game, I also enjoy the NFL, because it's football. I've never understood the NFL-only shills.

calgaryred

I am confused why anybody would think this is a good idea? CFL isn't heavily played on TV sets in Europe, I don't think they even know our league exists. In order for anyone to come pay for a ticket to watch a sport on foreign soil they needs to be some sort of demand.

Last time the CFL played in the USA they marketed it to see Doug Flutie and Rocket Ismail, and they filled a minor baseball field in Portland, Oregon. I don't think it was a sell out but a decent crowd. They came to watch two players not the league, it didn't go anywhere and the CFL hasn't played in America since. 

Id rather put the money towards growing the league in the Maritimes and showing another Touchdown Atlantic and having the CFL more involved there.
I LOVE CHRIS RUDGE AND DAVID BRALEY

Users Online

81 Guests, 3 Users (20 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, pianoman8849, Grover, Google (19), Baidu

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)