GHT120

For 2019, the correct choice is Montreal.  If Calgary follows Edmonton that will disenfranchise eastern fans who are rediscovering the CFL after Ottawa's renaissance.  It should be an eastern city.  That means Montreal or Toronto.

And play the Grey Cup in the afternoon, so kids can see the trophy awarded before bedtime, and maybe play the game at halftime.  That's how you make new fans.
Forget afternoon, TV won't allow it.

Olympic Stadium not likely to have a new roof (which GoQ has approved) until 2022 or 2023 ... so any Montreal Grey Cup would be at Molson with temporary seating (think 30,000-ish was discussed for a possible NHL outdoor game) or possibly at a temporary free-standing stadium like the 60,000 that were built for U2 in 2010.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

yougottabekidding

For 2019, the correct choice is Montreal.  If Calgary follows Edmonton that will disenfranchise eastern fans who are rediscovering the CFL after Ottawa's renaissance.  It should be an eastern city.  That means Montreal or Toronto.

And play the Grey Cup in the afternoon, so kids can see the trophy awarded before bedtime, and maybe play the game at halftime.  That's how you make new fans.
Forget afternoon, TV won't allow it.

Olympic Stadium not likely to have a new roof (which GoQ has approved) until 2022 or 2023 ... so any Montreal Grey Cup would be at Molson with temporary seating (think 30,000-ish was discussed for a possible NHL outdoor game) or possibly at a temporary free-standing stadium like the 60,000 that were built for U2 in 2010.
Agreed on early k/o....not happening, nor is it necessary.

Question though....is the Big Owe not useable until a new roof gets installed?  A new roof is great of course but please tell me they can still use the facility....

CFL Pete

The reason to hold it in Montreal is to keep football alive there.  What did Ottawa draw last year to the Grey Cup?  It wasn't sixty thousand people, and didn't need to be.  True, the Big Owe is a crap place to play football but the City of Montreal and the CFL need each other.  It's a big shot in the arm for the East, which needs all the help it can get.  

Television money is great, but what happens in ten years when no children are watching CFL because no one watched it growing up?  

Afternoon Grey Cup is smart.  Does Ambrosie have the courage to pull it off?

Also, 4 pre-season and 16 regular season games.  Abandon crossover playoff format.  Discontinue full interlocking schedule.  Annual all star exhibition game versus Grey Cup champs.  

And name the Maritime team the Kracken.

TravelPat1

Can't schedule a Grey Cup for Olympic Stadium until there is a new roof. Right now the protocols in place for use of the stadium are...

For an event to take place, three conditions need to be met: no storm of more than three centimetres of snow or three millimetres of freezing rain can be expected during the event, there can’t be more than five metric tonnes of snow or ice on the roof when the event starts and there can’t be any accumulation of ice on the Olympic Stadium’s tower or its suspension cables.
It is one thing to reschedule a Blue Jays exhibition game to the next day or cancel it and need to refund money because of a snowfall.  Entirely different scale of issues if having to delay a Grey Cup game to the next day. 

CFL Pete

In the event the Olympic Stadium is unusable, then the Alouettes organization is in a lot of trouble.  Kavis Reed is totally unfit to manage that team; the problems grow from there.  The CFL is fraying at the edges, in B.C. and Montreal.  The golden era that came in with Wetenhall and Braley is at an end.  Small markets like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina should be rejoicing.  But the CFL glut is over.  The past twenty years have been unbelievable, but it can't possibly continue indefinitely.  The decay is evident around the edges.  Good thing Toronto is strong.

brianjoxx

Keep it in the west until they upgrade their stadiums in the east. Sell out with 38,000 to 45,000 fans at reasonable prices.                 Upgrade them all, Ottawa, To, Hamilton, Montreal       OUCH that hurts..

Aerial

In the event the Olympic Stadium is unusable, then the Alouettes organization is in a lot of trouble.  Kavis Reed is totally unfit to manage that team; the problems grow from there.  The CFL is fraying at the edges, in B.C. and Montreal.  The golden era that came in with Wetenhall and Braley is at an end.  Small markets like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina should be rejoicing.  But the CFL glut is over.  The past twenty years have been unbelievable, but it can't possibly continue indefinitely.  The decay is evident around the edges.  Good thing Toronto is strong.
Well then what's the future for the CFL?  There is a reason why there are new stadiums in places like REgina, Winnipeg and Hamilton and Toronto and almost in Ottawa, BC.  Commonwealth has had big upgrades as well.  Calgary needs a big boost there stadium wise like Montreal.

Remember also Rogers has invested in the CFL in the Argos and never underestimate that.  Never.  Rogers is no. 1 in Toronto.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

BCRiderFan

IMHO, the 2009 Cup failed on all fronts.
...it sure didn't fail on an ending...you should've stuck around to see it live...
If I'd known, I probably would have...if only to see the horror of the Rider fans first hand!
I witnessed it, but also witnessed 2013. When did the Bombers last win a Grey Cup again?
Grey Cup wins (not including that ridiculous Baltimore year) in the last 60 years.

Edmonton 11
Winnipeg    7
Toronto      7
Montreal     6
Ottawa       6
Calgary      6
BC             6
Hamilton    6

Sask          4
So 1990. LOL Baltimore has won as many Grey Cups as the Bombers in the past almost 30 years. Now that's some comedy right there. Pardon me if I don't care how the amateur Regina Roughriders did in the 1920s.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

depopulationINC

The reason to hold it in Montreal is to keep football alive there.  What did Ottawa draw last year to the Grey Cup?  It wasn't sixty thousand people, and didn't need to be.  True, the Big Owe is a crap place to play football but the City of Montreal and the CFL need each other.  It's a big shot in the arm for the East, which needs all the help it can get.  

Television money is great, but what happens in ten years when no children are watching CFL because no one watched it growing up?  

Afternoon Grey Cup is smart.  Does Ambrosie have the courage to pull it off?

Also, 4 pre-season and 16 regular season games.  Abandon crossover playoff format.  Discontinue full interlocking schedule.  Annual all star exhibition game versus Grey Cup champs.  

I'd love to see the Cup in the East, but where?  Montreal doesn't have the facility, Hamilton won't bid until their legal battles are complete, Ottawa just hosted, Toronto was a totally mismanaged disaster and needs to work for a few years of re-establishing a draw locally.  As far as the east feeling disenfranchised....um, they just hosted 2 years in a row.Hosting has been lopsided recently because of facilities, and once Hamilton is ready and the O as well it will make the cycle a lot better.  If Montreal can do 30k in their stadium for NHL I would have to think a CFL game is less.  Under 30k is starting to make it risky....there is a reason that the last time it was under 30000 was 60 years ago.

Exactly how is this smart?  Why is it courage?  If it was so smart it wouldn't take courage.  On Sundays, "prime time" (the time when TV draws the highest viewing audiences) is 7pm Eastern.  You are suggesting that it should be moved to when people don't prefer to watch TV as much.  Should the Super Bowl also be moved?  They seem to be doing alright in their time slot.  How do you feel pubs will feel about a mid day game?  A generation of children lost?  Was the game historically held at noon or something, because surely the league would have collapsed years ago without catering the championship game to kids as opposed to moreso adults getting together.

16 regular season games?  So who is pitching the idea of the players taking a pay cut to them?

Why do you want to abandon the crossover?  So that teams can be more complacent?  So that we can see a team with a 33% win record fighting for the championship?

Why is an interlocking schedule bad?  There has been a lot of talk on here that playing the same team up to 4 times with exhibition is too much, now you are suggesting that it gets moved to 6 times in the east and 4 to 5 in the west...plus whatever in exhibition?

What is the draw on the all-star game?  The probowl is complete garbage to the point there is a lot of discussion of cancelling it.  When is this game going to be? Before the season when the GC Champions have already went through free agency and you are risking player injury before camp opens?  I ask because I assume you don't want to have it after the GC when attention focuses on the NFL and people already complain about the cold in the CFL playoff run.  Then there is the US players issue....No way do they want to be here for an extra couple weeks to risk going over the 6 month international period that would crush them tax wise.

J5V

The reason to hold it in Montreal is to keep football alive there.  What did Ottawa draw last year to the Grey Cup?  It wasn't sixty thousand people, and didn't need to be.  True, the Big Owe is a crap place to play football but the City of Montreal and the CFL need each other.  It's a big shot in the arm for the East, which needs all the help it can get.  

Also, 4 pre-season and 16 regular season games.  Abandon crossover playoff format.  Discontinue full interlocking schedule.  Annual all star exhibition game versus Grey Cup champs.  

That's the greatest number of bad ideas I've ever read in one single post, lol

Aerial

J5V, that's exactly what I wanted to say!  ;)

FootbalYouBet

You forgot to add IMO :)
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

yougottabekidding

IMHO, the 2009 Cup failed on all fronts.
...it sure didn't fail on an ending...you should've stuck around to see it live...
If I'd known, I probably would have...if only to see the horror of the Rider fans first hand!
I witnessed it, but also witnessed 2013. When did the Bombers last win a Grey Cup again?
Grey Cup wins (not including that ridiculous Baltimore year) in the last 60 years.

Edmonton 11
Winnipeg    7
Toronto      7
Montreal     6
Ottawa       6
Calgary      6
BC             6
Hamilton    6

Sask          4
So 1990. LOL Baltimore has won as many Grey Cups as the Bombers in the past almost 30 years. Now that's some comedy right there. Pardon me if I don't care how the amateur Regina Roughriders did in the 1920s.
My post was intended to highlight the very arbitrary nature of your GC list...what exactly is the accepted standard of time to look back?  You chose to list the Cups from the last decade...oops, sorry, 11 years (can't imagine a more arbitrary number than that) of your fav. team's best run.  I chose 60 as it serves my team...and I'm old enough to have witnessed every one of them (first four in B&W!).

PTBO Dave

And just to set the record straight, here are the Grey Cup wins in the last decade:

Top tier: Calgary, Toronto, Montreal (2 each)

Mid tier: BC, Edmonton, Sask, Ottawa (1 each)

Bottom tier: Winnipeg, Hamilton (0 each)

RedandWhite

My post was intended to highlight the very arbitrary nature of your GC list...what exactly is the accepted standard of time to look back?  You chose to list the Cups from the last decade...oops, sorry, 11 years (can't imagine a more arbitrary number than that) of your fav. team's best run.  I chose 60 as it serves my team...and I'm old enough to have witnessed every one of them (first four in B&W!).
...the answer you'll get back (because the argument has been had before) is that his criteria is completely biased to what puts his riders in the best possible light...it's not good statistical measure, but at least he's honest about it...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Users Online

66 Guests, 1 User (4 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
EastVanMark, Google (4)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)