KevinRiley2

A Grey Cup in Hamilton between say the Als and the Lions would be a total financial disaster for the TiCats and just about everyone except the league, I'm guessing, that gets their upfront money based on a sellout and if a sellout doesn't happen, the league doesn't care, they get their money.

No way does a Grey Cup in Hamilton work under the current system.  Total disaster.
I agree, 100%.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

PTBO Dave

I don't know if a Grey Cup would be so unsuccessful. The Cats have a solid ST base, so why do people think those ST holders wouldn't purchase Cup tickets at a similar rate to ST holders in other cities?

There's almost a 50% chance that either Hamilton or Toronto would be in it, so there'd be area fans to draw on in such a case. And there's a better than 50% chance that either Hamilton or Toronto (or both) would be in the East final, which would compel at least some of those local fans to buy Cup tickets if any are still available at that time.

What am I missing about the situation?

KevinRiley2

I don't know if a Grey Cup would be so unsuccessful. The Cats have a solid ST base, so why do people think those ST holders wouldn't purchase Cup tickets at a similar rate to ST holders in other cities?

There's almost a 50% chance that either Hamilton or Toronto would be in it, so there'd be area fans to draw on in such a case. And there's a better than 50% chance that either Hamilton or Toronto (or both) would be in the East final, which would compel at least some of those local fans to buy Cup tickets if any are still available at that time.

Re : "What am I missing about the situation?"

The price of the tickets - assuming they are in any way similar to recent Grey Cups.

If posters think that people balked at the price of the most recent Toronto Grey Cup, you aint seen nothing.  The people of Hamilton will stay away in droves.  The phrase, "I'm NOT paying THAT kind of money for a football game", will be heard from Stoney Creek to Burlington, from the Centennial Parkway to Ancaster. Hamiltonians will NOT buy in and the team will end up giving away tickets to paper the house.

If I was wrong and there was money to be made, Bob Young would have held a Grey Cup by now.  There's a reason he hasn't.  Again, the proof is in the pudding and there is a reason why Hamilton has not hosted a Grey Cup in 22 years, and won't any time soon.

Mightygoose

I don't think anything is missing, this seems more of a case on the assumption that past performance is an indicator of future results.

The 1996 game was not successful at the gate and there hasn't been one since. Hence the default is Hamilton will never be a good host.

Look at Toronto's history over the past 30 years.

1989 was so successful they were awarded the next 2 available '92 and '93...Toronto: Good host

1992 was so unsuccessful that they had to sell the 1993 game. Toronto: Bad host

2007 was a success even with no Ontario based teams in and sold out before the Riders made it in. Toronto: Good host. So good that Bob McCowan advotaced that they should host it more often.

2012 was another success being the 100th and sold out before the Argos made it in. Toronto: Still good host.

2016 first one at a smaller capacity BMO and was widley assumed to be an easy sellout until the prices came out..(originlly higher than Ottawa in 2017).we all know the story and a Pizza Pizza promo later (was came from Hamilton out of all places) along with a paper the remaining tickets with their corporate sponsors.....Toronto: a Taboo host again.

KevinRiley2

I don't think anything is missing, this seems more of a case on the assumption that past performance is an indicator of future results.

The 1996 game was not successful at the gate and there hasn't been one since. Hence the default is Hamilton will never be a good host.

Look at Toronto's history over the past 30 years.

1989 was so successful they were awarded the next 2 available '92 and '93...Toronto: Good host

1992 was so unsuccessful that they had to sell the 1993 game. Toronto: Bad host

2007 was a success even with no Ontario based teams in and sold out before the Riders made it in. Toronto: Good host. So good that Bob McCowan advotaced that they should host it more often.

2012 was another success being the 100th and sold out before the Argos made it in. Toronto: Still good host.

2016 first one at a smaller capacity BMO and was widley assumed to be an easy sellout until the prices came out..(originlly higher than Ottawa in 2017).we all know the story and a Pizza Pizza promo later (was came from Hamilton out of all places) along with a paper the remaining tickets with their corporate sponsors.....Toronto: a Taboo host again.
Again, the proof is in the pudding.

My guess, Bob Young has run studies to see if it will sell, and the results have not been good.  Don't hold your breath for a Hamilton Grey Cup.

Mightygoose

Well judging by the topic of this thread it was assumed Calgary was never going to be in the mix until new or rebuilt stadium happened and many were wrong... including myself....I would wait until the litigation gets resolved first....if it does until we know Mr. Young's intent

KevinRiley2

For everyone who thinks I have an agenda, I don't.  I LOVE the Ticats and would LOVE to see Bob Young get a BIG payday to reimburse him for all the money he has lost - and as a rainy day fund for the future.

I just don't see it.

KevinRiley2

Well judging by the topic of this thread it was assumed Calgary was never going to be in the mix until new or rebuilt stadium happened and many were wrong... including myself....I would wait until the litigation gets resolved first....if it does until we know Mr. Young's intent
Okay.  Let's wait.  And, for the record, I hope I'm wrong, I hope Hamilton gets a Grey Cup, and I hope Bob Young makes a fortune. I just wouldn't bet on it.  ;)

Mr. Pike

Hey Kevin ....I have not posted in a long while , but in regards to a G.C being successful in Hamilton , .................the way I might  guage the  financial success of the game would be, if they can sell a ticket at full price to you ( which you have stated on this forum  you would buy if the game was indeed awarded to Steel Town ) then all I can say  is, it would be a roaring success   ...........lol            Cheers 

KevinRiley2

Hey Kevin ....I have not posted in a long while , but in regards to a G.C being successful in Hamilton , .................the way I might  guage the  financial success of the game would be, if they can sell a ticket at full price to you ( which you have stated on this forum  you would buy if the game was indeed awarded to Steel Town ) then all I can say  is, it would be a roaring success   ...........lol            Cheers
LOL.  You got me.  :)

P.S.  It's nice to see you back in this forum, Mr. P.  :)

KevinRiley2

letsgoticats

The recent financial success of the Ticats indicates that the current generation of fans would support a Grey Cup.  I'm not sure how one experience 25 years ago in an already decrepit stadium proves anything.   Hamilton has changed quite a bit in the past quarter century.

Nice of you to result to some mean-spirited insults to an entire city in order to try and prove your point.

KevinRiley2

The recent financial success of the Ticats indicates that the current generation of fans would support a Grey Cup.  I'm not sure how one experience 25 years ago in an already decrepit stadium proves anything.   Hamilton has changed quite a bit in the past quarter century.

Nice of you to result to some mean-spirited insults to an entire city in order to try and prove your point.
Oh come on...  I'm a Ticat supporter, too. :)

Mightygoose

I think you're posting these in the wrong thread.

Time to start over....but they're still a good read :)

KevinRiley2

I think you're posting these in the wrong thread.

Time to start over....but they're still a good read :)
LOL.  

I had fun, even if they are in the wrong thread.

Users Online

63 Guests, 4 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Argofan_1000, PatLynch, Mightygoose, Chestmaster, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)