-Hammer-

We'll see if there is fire behind this smoke.
In 2020 Hamilton's THF gets it's fair shot to host Grey Cup.
If the stadium litigation is done by then maybe, but I have my doubts. Simply put, Hamilton isn't getting a Grey Cup until the city and the Ti-Cats make up and both of them have themselves to blame on that front.

Besides, with Toronto and Ottawa getting them so close to each other, I can see a lot of fans not being keen on Ontario getting another. I think the prudent choice is to have it out West for the next three and then come back to the Hammer. I highly suspect that if Hamilton chased an Ottawa or Toronto Grey Cup it would not end well.

KevinRiley2

We'll see if there is fire behind this smoke.
In 2020 Hamilton's THF gets it's fair shot to host Grey Cup.
If the stadium litigation is done by then maybe, but I have my doubts. Simply put, Hamilton isn't getting a Grey Cup until the city and the Ti-Cats make up and both of them have themselves to blame on that front.

Besides, with Toronto and Ottawa getting them so close to each other, I can see a lot of fans not being keen on Ontario getting another. I think the prudent choice is to have it out West for the next three and then come back to the Hammer. I highly suspect that if Hamilton chased an Ottawa or Toronto Grey Cup it would not end well.
Put the game in Hamilton and you`ll struggle to sell tickets / break even.  The litigation excuse is a blessing for Bob Young.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Hammertown Proud

We all know your thoughts Kevin - as unfounded as they are.

bobo82

Nice. Hopefully the stamps are competitive and can play in a home grey cup. What a dream that would be to see here.
It will be more like a nightmare if the Stamps do get to it and the outcome is the same as the last two Cups have been for this team . On the other hand it might turnout like the 2013 Cup in Saskie where regardless of who the opposition was it really didn't matter , no one was going to beat them on that day .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

KevinRiley2

They are not unfounded.

It's great that you are willing to pay big bucks for a Hamilton Grey Cup.  You're a better man than me.  However, people like you are few and far between.

As I said in another thread...

Remember the `Buy a Large Coffee at Tim Hortons and get a ticket to the Hamilton Grey Cup for $2!!! `, 20 years back?  

I do.

Bob Young struggles to make money with the Ticats.  Let`s not pressure him into hosting a money losing Grey Cup.

The Last Word

B) Since the Stamps are under the same ownership as the Flames, any relocation threat of the NHL club will be weak for the next 2 years. Otherwise, it would impact the game here and not in a good way.
....a potential sale of around $800M to the owner of the Houston Rockets is not going to be stalled by something like the GC...
Agreed on some level but if ownership is going to sell of a profitable Flames team for relocation...and the #1 team in the market for that matter, I think they'll alienate their other business including the other sports team they own.

Good luck selling a premium event in that enviorment
Assuming negotiations go nowhere over the next few years - also further assuming Calgary does not receive the 2026 Olympics and all the wonderful government subsidies that go along with it AND progress remains stalled with new civic leadership assuming Nenshi leaves for greener pastures after his next term is up - I suspect the Flames ownership will tire of owning a team in a outdated, slowly deteriorating building and sell the team to outside interests.  In that case, any goodwill towards their remaining teams public teams would quickly dissipate and they would be forced to sell.  This would include the stamps.

I don't think there will be any worries about selling a Grey Cup in Calgary for 2019.  The Flames situation is unlikely to be any different in 1.5 years time.

letsgoticats

They are not unfounded.

It's great that you are willing to pay big bucks for a Hamilton Grey Cup.  You're a better man than me.  However, people like you are few and far between.

Remember the `Buy a Large Coffee at Tim Hortons and get a ticket to the Hamilton Grey Cup for $2!!! `, 20 years back?  

I do.

Bob Young struggles to make money with the Ticats.  Let`s not pressure him into hosting a money losing Grey Cup.

Is there any evidence that Bob Young struggles to make money with the Ticats?  It was my understanding that the team had been profitable since Tim Hortons Field was opened at full capacity.  

Things have changed a lot since 1996.  

Hammertown Proud

They are not unfounded.

I do.

No, people like me are who is transforming and changing this city. It's people like you who feel the city is being "gentrified". The Hamilton of the 60's and 70's is no longer. I was born in this wonderful city in 1980. The last 15 years has seen more change then the first 25.

If people like me were few and far between, the city wouldn't have the condo development that it does.

The city has already changed Kevin, and you have been left behind.

bobo82

We all know your thoughts Kevin - as unfounded as they are

I do.

Uh actually Kev , I do remember and in reality it was actually $25.00 a ticket . Those tickets by the way were for the temp seating section at Ivor Wynne in the end zone and there was a limited supply of them for sale . I'm not sure where you are getting your $2.00 a ticket info from unless of course it's just you trying to embellish and over exaggerate trying to get your unfounded point across as "Hammertown Proud" stated . 

I tell ya what though , hows about you find a story or article about those $2.00 fictional tickets that you talk about and provide us all with the link as proof to back up your ridiculous claim ? Yup . Good luck with that one !!  ::)

KevinRiley2

We all know your thoughts Kevin - as unfounded as they are

I do.

Uh actually Kev , I do remember and in reality it was actually $25.00 a ticket . Those tickets by the way were for the temp seating section at Ivor Wynne in the end zone and there was a limited supply of them for sale . I'm not sure where you are getting your $2.00 a ticket info from unless of course it's just you trying to embellish and over exaggerate trying to get your unfounded point across as "Hammertown Proud" stated .

I tell ya what though , hows about you find a story or article about those $2.00 fictional tickets that you talk about and provide us all with the link as proof to back up your ridiculous claim ? Yup . Good luck with that one !!  ::)
If I embellished, I apologize.  

My ex father-in-law told me the story and, truth be told, I don`t remember how much he paid.

If it was $25, I apologize, but I remember it (the story) being much less than that.

KevinRiley2

They are not unfounded.

I do.

Is there any evidence that Bob Young struggles to make money with the Ticats?  It was my understanding that the team had been profitable since Tim Hortons Field was opened at full capacity.  
Re : ~Evidence~

Nothing I can quote.  Just talk I have heard on different radio programs.

KevinRiley2

They are not unfounded.

I do.

No, people like me are who is transforming and changing this city. It's people like you who feel the city is being "gentrified". The Hamilton of the 60's and 70's is no longer. I was born in this wonderful city in 1980. The last 15 years has seen more change then the first 25.

If people like me were few and far between, the city wouldn't have the condo development that it does.

The city has already changed Kevin, and you have been left behind.
We will have to agree to disagree.  But, in my defense...

Why is Hamilton the ONLY CFL city NOT to host a Grey Cup in the last 22 years?

The answer :

Because Hamilton will not support the Grey Cup at the current pricing, and Bob Young does not want to lose money.

Heck, during those 22 years, Ottawa has only had a team for 9(?) years, and hosted it twice.

The proof is in the pudding.

letsgoticats

They are not unfounded.

I do.

Is there any evidence that Bob Young struggles to make money with the Ticats?  It was my understanding that the team had been profitable since Tim Hortons Field was opened at full capacity.  

Nothing I can quote.  Just talk I have heard on different radio programs.
http://torontosun.com/2015/05/25/tiger-cats-expect-to-be-in-the-black-for-first-time-in-decades/wcm/6ca17c22-9040-4f3a-a1bc-c518f597f556

They were anticipating being profitable in 2015.  I can't imagine Scott Mitchell would still have a job if he missed that goal by 5 years.  Despite being an absolute PR nightmare at times, there's a reason Bob Young keeps Mitchell around.  He runs a successful franchise.  

KevinRiley2

They are not unfounded.

I do.

Nothing I can quote.  Just talk I have heard on different radio programs.
http://torontosun.com/2015/05/25/tiger-cats-expect-to-be-in-the-black-for-first-time-in-decades/wcm/6ca17c22-9040-4f3a-a1bc-c518f597f556

They were anticipating being profitable in 2015.  I can't imagine Scott Mitchell would still have a job if he missed that goal by 5 years.  Despite being an absolute PR nightmare at times, there's a reason Bob Young keeps Mitchell around.  He runs a successful franchise.  
Fair enough.  But that doesn't mean it isn't a struggle.

Aerial

A Grey Cup in Hamilton between say the Als and the Lions would be a total financial disaster for the TiCats and just about everyone except the league, I'm guessing, that gets their upfront money based on a sellout and if a sellout doesn't happen, the league doesn't care, they get their money.

No way does a Grey Cup in Hamilton work under the current system.  Total disaster.

Eventually the league will figure out a way to be sure at least one team in the Grey Cup is hosting the event.  But that's rocket science I guess and the CFL isn't exactly avante garde.   Grey Cup and CFL, love you but you are not the Super Bowl in terms of how these things work in Canada.  :-\
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Users Online

111 Guests, 2 Users (16 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mycko75, Grover, Google (16)

Most Online Today: 130. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)