Migs

-Ojo hasn't played in two years so he might be rusty or he might never regain his former form.  Probably a 50-50 proposition.
-Saskatchewan still has a questionable linebacking crew
-secondary has an aged player in Johnson who is on his last legs.
-Canadian content is only average relative to the rest of the league and the depth is razor thin compared to teams like Calgary and Winnipeg.
Jovon Johnson was excellent last year & showed zero signs of slowing down.  

And saying the Bombers have
strong Canadian depth is laughable, they don’t even have a proven 7th Canadian starter.   If anything the Bombers are mid-tier in their Canadian depth & worse off than last year without Westerman & Thomas.  

CanadaJack

As I posted on the Esk forum, I think they screwed up not signing Ojo. Good pickup for the Riders.
" The doctor said I might get better but I'll never get well!"

depopulationINC

-Ojo hasn't played in two years so he might be rusty or he might never regain his former form.  Probably a 50-50 proposition.
-Saskatchewan still has a questionable linebacking crew
-secondary has an aged player in Johnson who is on his last legs.
-Canadian content is only average relative to the rest of the league and the depth is razor thin compared to teams like Calgary and Winnipeg.
Jovon Johnson was excellent last year & showed zero signs of slowing down.  

And saying the Bombers have
strong Canadian depth is laughable, they don’t even have a proven 7th Canadian starter.   If anything the Bombers are mid-tier in their Canadian depth & worse off than last year without Westerman & Thomas.  
Johnson himself talked about the fact that he has slowed down and does more film study and works harder on his angles.

brianjoxx

Actually in training camp sky is the limit for salary cap. So really there is none until day of declaring your opening day rooster. Most teams will not tell you what they have signed a player for.
Its a game. Some will be placed on injury list others on practice rooster to juggle salary cap.
Others are cut but kept in town at teams expenses which do not count against cap. Same as players coming and going. But if you take the salaries of a player last year which is on record and add them up you should be very close to this years amount. Not 100%. Saskatchewan, total all the players new and old. QB doesn't preform his $500,000 may be dumped or any player for that matter. Easy research!
Well, to make it easy research you have to have some correct facts. Riders don't have a 500,000 Q.B. Not even close, he's at 430,000 hard money, no incentives. So your out 15% there alone. Come to think of it I guess that explains how you come up with them being 10%over the cap, garbage facts. Who wooda thunk it.
The term talefront is a $500,000 Dollar quarterback. Meaning a high paid QB.
Actually hope he does well. You got to thunk more. Gee's another denier of facts.
Sask is over salary cap today. And $430,000 is close to $500,000 anyway
Everything happens for a reason.

depopulationINC

Actually in training camp sky is the limit for salary cap. So really there is none until day of declaring your opening day rooster. Most teams will not tell you what they have signed a player for.
Its a game. Some will be placed on injury list others on practice rooster to juggle salary cap.
Others are cut but kept in town at teams expenses which do not count against cap. Same as players coming and going. But if you take the salaries of a player last year which is on record and add them up you should be very close to this years amount. Not 100%. Saskatchewan, total all the players new and old. QB doesn't preform his $500,000 may be dumped or any player for that matter. Easy research!
Well, to make it easy research you have to have some correct facts. Riders don't have a 500,000 Q.B. Not even close, he's at 430,000 hard money, no incentives. So your out 15% there alone. Come to think of it I guess that explains how you come up with them being 10%over the cap, garbage facts. Who wooda thunk it.
Actually hope he does well. You got to thunk more. Gee's another denier of facts.
I wouldn't call 430k vs 500k close.  You normally consider 14% margin of error close?  5% maybe.  If you do consider that close I would love to do business with you. 

Do tell, how are they over the cap?  You appear to be well informed on this.  Can you fill us in on any other teams SMS standings?  It would be greatly appreciated for sure.  Maybe just post the top dozen salaries from each team for us.

bobo82

https://www.riderville.com/2018/03/27/new-roughrider-john-ojo-plan/

Riders defence shaping up to be one of the best if not the best in the league this year.
Just a reminder but let's not jump the gun here on claiming that the Riders might have one of the best or even the best 'D' in the league just yet . It is after-all still the off season and the last time I looked the real games are played on the field and not on paper . Looking at the team  it seems it has two glaring holes to fill at CB and MLB not to mention that injuries and replacements are always a key factor in any team's makeup . The real bullets don't start flying until the season officially starts. Now don't get me wrong here because you never know , it's indeed quite possible that the Riders might just turn out to have the best 'D' out there this year BUT bare in mind that there are 8 other teams that could also lay claim to the title of being the best (on paper) at this stage of the game .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

depopulationINC

https://www.riderville.com/2018/03/27/new-roughrider-john-ojo-plan/

Riders defence shaping up to be one of the best if not the best in the league this year.
Just a reminder but let's not jump the gun here on claiming that the Riders might have one of the best or even the best 'D' in the league just yet . It is after-all still the off season and the last time I looked the real games are played on the field and not on paper . Looking at the team  it seems it has two glaring holes to fill at CB and MLB not to mention that injuries and replacements are always a key factor in any team's makeup . The real bullets don't start flying until the season officially starts. Now don't get me wrong here because you never know , it's indeed quite possible that the Riders might just turn out to have the best 'D' out there this year BUT bare in mind that there are 8 other teams that could also lay claim to the title of being the best (on paper) at this stage of the game .
Not saying the Riders have the best D here...I do think it looks overall good, but they have 4 solid defensive backs with one of them echo has proven to be very a solid CB (Butler)...I would hope that one of the other 3 could transition, but it is unproven for sure.  If the MLB situation is the same as it was in Winnipeg last season it is a weakness...I am not sold he is the long term plan for the season though.

CFL Pete

Chris Jones deserves recognition for playing a Canadian quarterback and playing Duron Carter on both sides of the ball.  That's true innovation and courage.  He gets the benefit of the doubt in his signings.  Jones wears about six hats for the Roughriders.  Trust him.

brianjoxx

I wouldn't call 430k vs 500k close.  You normally consider 14% margin of error close?  5% maybe.  If you do consider that close I would love to do business with you.  

Do tell, how are they over the cap?  You appear to be well informed on this.  Can you fill us in on any other teams SMS standings?  It would be greatly appreciated for sure.  Maybe just post the top dozen salaries from each team for us.
You don't know how to do research. Take a coarse. Many available. No spoon feeding. Cheers
Love to business with you

depopulationINC

I wouldn't call 430k vs 500k close.  You normally consider 14% margin of error close?  5% maybe.  If you do consider that close I would love to do business with you.  

Do tell, how are they over the cap?  You appear to be well informed on this.  Can you fill us in on any other teams SMS standings?  It would be greatly appreciated for sure.  Maybe just post the top dozen salaries from each team for us.
You don't know how to do research. Take a coarse. Many available. No spoon feeding. Cheers
Love to business with you
"many" does not really tell where a team actually sits for cap, and you have boldly claimed a team is already over.  So what you are saying now is you are talking out of your arse and have no idea what the numbers are then.  Gee, who knew no answer was coming?

brianjoxx

Goggle CFL Salary caps! Thats on the computer! lots of hard noise info. All players must sign a contract to tryout with a cfl team except young developing players like juniors or. Each team can have a total of 56 players Active, reserved or injured. 44 players can dress each game, 21 non imports, 20 imports and 3 QB s
Not included in salary cap are players on the 6 game injury list.
Basically you have 56 players on your team AT ONE TIME. As of today you might have 72 players signed and if totaled you would be over salary cap but not against rules but over. However just before you have cut down day before game 1 of regular season you have to register your roster to comply with 5.2 million salary cap. All teams do this. CFL has a practice off NOT publishing players salary's.
They are guess estimated by the media. I don't know nor do you unless you have read the original contract. But we can be close by reports. As you check salary caps you will find notes where SASK
as been fine for over the cap and against the rules players working outs contrary to CFL.
No I don't have a copy send by commissioner to Sask. This is a VERY Complex-ed issue for all teams.
Common sense says teams will do what ever they can to win. Why not.
Some stated Collaros is being paid $430,000. How would they know that with out contract in hand.
Could be much less or more or cut early in season to allow team to improve in other areas.
Research and knowledge does work. Gees another!!!!!!!!!!

depopulationINC

Goggle CFL Salary caps! Thats on the computer! lots of hard noise info. All players must sign a contract to tryout with a cfl team except young developing players like juniors or. Each team can have a total of 56 players Active, reserved or injured. 44 players can dress each game, 21 non imports, 20 imports and 3 QB s
Not included in salary cap are players on the 6 game injury list.
Basically you have 56 players on your team AT ONE TIME. As of today you might have 72 players signed and if totaled you would be over salary cap but not against rules but over. However just before you have cut down day before game 1 of regular season you have to register your roster to comply with 5.2 million salary cap. All teams do this. CFL has a practice off NOT publishing players salary's.
They are guess estimated by the media. I don't know nor do you unless you have read the original contract. But we can be close by reports. As you check salary caps you will find notes where SASK
as been fine for over the cap and against the rules players working outs contrary to CFL.
No I don't have a copy send by commissioner to Sask. This is a VERY Complex-ed issue for all teams.
Common sense says teams will do what ever they can to win. Why not.
Some stated Collaros is being paid $430,000. How would they know that with out contract in hand.
Could be much less or more or cut early in season to allow team to improve in other areas.
Research and knowledge does work. Gees another!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, you can have 85 as of today, May 1 it moves to 75 + non-counters.  It reduces more after camp.

No, that is not true that you have to be under 5.2 forecasted salary on day one of the season...true in the NFL where your projected salaries must be under cap.  CFL does a mid-season audit and it doesn't actually matter where you sit...your December 31st number is all that matters.

I have a good idea on salaries.  I actually have a handy little spreadsheet on "reported/speculated" salaries.  Apparently you do to as as you have claimed a team is over.  I am saying you are pulling it out of your arse because you saw some of the higher contract values and actually have no clue.

Jones has 100% stated that they are tighter against the cap than they were at this time last year and that while there is room that they may still make a move or two to free up some...you know, because teams generally like having a buffer.  I am going to say that the numbers I have in combination with what the team has said trumps your "trust me, do some research" which is a flat out copout for basing your statement entirely on perception and recollection.

If you don't think that I do much for stats, here is a thread on the Bombers board where I stated putting some (a very small taste) of that out there.  I have the speculated numbers handy...I don't believe for one second you have more than general recollection of what has been reported.

http://forums.cfl.ca/winnipeg-blue-bombers/6/rod-pederson-takes-giant-poo-dump-on-bombers/105884/

But hey...thanks once again for not having the ability to back up even slightly your statement that a team is over even though you wanted to present it as something "obvious" and a "fact"

brianjoxx

You made some very good points and thanks. Point and parcel is add up all the contracts of the 75 players for each team today. Some teams more some less. They all would be over the salary cap if play started today. RIGHT. There actually is no salary cap until the season starts. Once seasons starts they have a salary cap and yes its averaged.
FAQ about Compensation on CFLdb

Just a note on Zach from CBC Sports
However, Rider Nation relaxed somewhat once convinced Collaros would only put on a Riders' jersey if he renegotiated his salary down.
The talks have concluded, the new contract was signed and the eyebrows are raised again.
If reports from out east are true, Collaros will not be making much less — $430,000 base salary.
The multiple and conflicting rumours can't settle on whether there will be bonuses for playing time or not.

RichardVeilleux

No CFL team exceeds the approved max.salary cap in off-season or beginning of season or mid-season or late in the season. Teams total salaries that count against the salary cap are the ones from January 1st to December 31st.

Annualized salaries of players on active roster + players on 1 game injured list + players on practice roster may be over $5.2 millions in June or August or September and on and on, but what matter is if these salaries over $5.2 millions were for the whole season; for instance, in August the annualized salaries may be over $5.2 but  1 or 2 or more of your highest paid players could be injured in early September and transferred to 6 game injured list for remainder of season, replaced by lower paid players and now your total annualized salaries are less than $5.0 millions and your total salaries for the year ended December 31st may amount to $5,175,000 or so or below the approved  $5.2 millions. The total salaries charged against the cap for THE WHOLE YEAR are what matters.

Regarding number of players a team can have on active,reserved or injured there is no such limit as 56; for instance, a team can have 46 players on active roster, 4 or more or less on 1 game injured list, a max. of ten on practice roster and no limit on players on 6 game injured list. For a team, the only thing/numbers that matters are what counts against salary cap; for example, if the annualized salaries of your active players are high/close to max. cap, this team won't add 10 players on 1 game injured list  + 10 players on practice roster.

For a team, it is extremely important to "monitor"/follow /calculate regularly your salary costs charged against the approved cap; otherwise, you may have negative/unexpected excess at year's end.

Richard

GHT120

No CFL team exceeds the approved max.salary cap in off-season or beginning of season or mid-season or late in the season. Teams total salaries that count against the salary cap are the ones from January 1st to December 31st.

Annualized salaries of players on active roster + players on 1 game injured list + players on practice roster may be over $5.2 millions in June or August or September and on and on, but what matter is if these salaries over $5.2 millions were for the whole season; for instance, in August the annualized salaries may be over $5.2 but  1 or 2 or more of your highest paid players could be injured in early September and transferred to 6 game injured list for remainder of season, replaced by lower paid players and now your total annualized salaries are less than $5.0 millions and your total salaries for the year ended December 31st may amount to $5,175,000 or so or below the approved  $5.2 millions. The total salaries charged against the cap for THE WHOLE YEAR are what matters.

Regarding number of players a team can have on active,reserved or injured there is no such limit as 56; for instance, a team can have 46 players on active roster, 4 or more or less on 1 game injured list, a max. of ten on practice roster and no limit on players on 6 game injured list. For a team, the only thing/numbers that matters are what counts against salary cap; for example, if the annualized salaries of your active players are high/close to max. cap, this team won't add 10 players on 1 game injured list  + 10 players on practice roster.

For a team, it is extremely important to "monitor"/follow /calculate regularly your salary costs charged against the approved cap; otherwise, you may have negative/unexpected excess at year's end.

Richard
While technically right Richard, I think the point being made is that as most contracts do not actual trigger payments in the off-season (i.e., except bonus clauses) the total potential value of contracts for signed players exceeds the cap in the off-season; but then teams must get total projected payments for 2018 under the cap for the first game.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Users Online

66 Guests, 5 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pdson2, PatLynch, Argofan_1000, Mightygoose, Chestmaster, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)