West

Just when you think Argos  can pull away in the East, they tank.

Where was the vaunted Argo's D in this ?

I never blame the refs, but I just do not get the phantom PI call at the end.
It was illegal contact and was a legit call. You gotta hand it to Bridge as he likely drew that call by extending the play
I agree. Bridge was looking at Carter before he was tackled which is what drew the penalty in the first place.  Bridge then was forced to roll out as the primary receiver had been tackled to the ground.  Clear cut penalty.

To bad the Stumps played the game of their lives against the Roughriders a couple games ago or we might have won that game as well....
I imagine it's an exciting time to be a rider fan right now. They've won what 6 of 8? I'm not sure if they'll make the cup though I guess it's possible now with Nichols potentially out and Calgary being choke artists in the playoffs. Who knows? Certainly they should be in the conversation 

Aerial

In the conversation?  I would say so.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

brihind88

Just when you think Argos  can pull away in the East, they tank.

Where was the vaunted Argo's D in this ?

I never blame the refs, but I just do not get the phantom PI call at the end.
It was illegal contact and was a legit call. You gotta hand it to Bridge as he likely drew that call by extending the play
I agree. Bridge was looking at Carter before he was tackled which is what drew the penalty in the first place.  Bridge then was forced to roll out as the primary receiver had been tackled to the ground.  Clear cut penalty.

To bad the Stumps played the game of their lives against the Roughriders a couple games ago or we might have won that game as well....
Hold on Preisst.  OK, I give in on the illegal contact. Fine.

The STAMPS ( thank you ), played a horrible game and the Riders failed to take advantage.

5 fg's to win the game is in no way the game of their lives.  They did not deserve to win.

TravelPat1

Well - at least the Argos edged over 15,000 fans wih all the Riders fans in attendance today. I guess we have to consider that as good news these days - even though 3-4 years ago drawing only 15,000 against the Riders would be considered a disaster.

FYI - two friends who went to their first Argos game of the last two years posted this on Facebook around 4:30 PM.

Last minute decision to check out the Argos game. Approaching the box office to buy cheap tickets and a lady gave us row 18 centre field for free. — attending Toronto Argonauts vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders at BMO Field.
With this picture

No indication on their Facebook post if they were the only ones to be handed free tickets outside the stadium.

So the good news. Some Toronto guys went to their first game in two seasons. The free ticket thing? Did they luck out - or did others get freebies?  I don't know the answer to that. 

Mightygoose

Was it someone at the box office that gave them the free tickets? The image doesn't display on my device.

By the wording of the FB post, they were approaching the box office, not right there, which suggests to a lady reached out to them to give them the tickets. Sounds like they were in the right place at the right time and in the Argos perspective, they were paid for tickets as they have cut their comps down significantly.

Michael Hook from the Argos mentioned comps are down 65% year to date and paid tickets is actually up this year, though the 2 for 19.97 Flutie and 15.00 CNE promos would factor into that I would guess.

As for the attendance number to be put into context. It drew about 100 more compared to the Riders visit last year which was also on a Saturday 4pm slot and there were about 3000 more sesson ticket holders last year too. Plus they didn't sell the upper east side for singles until 4-5 days before the game...once the 20.00 west side tickets sold out.

Considering the home opener against Hamilton which also has a large contingent of visiting fans (and we all get along!) drew 13.5K, I would say today is a positive though baby step

jaybird24

Was it someone at the box office that gave them the free tickets? The image doesn't display on my device.

By the wording of the FB post, they were approaching the box office, not right there, which suggests to a lady reached out to them to give them the tickets. Sounds like they were in the right place at the right time and in the Argos perspective, they were paid for tickets as they have cut their comps down significantly.

Michael Hook from the Argos mentioned comps are down 65% year to date and paid tickets is actually up this year, though the 2 for 19.97 Flutie and 15.00 CNE promos would factor into that I would guess.

As for the attendance number to be put into context. It drew about 100 more compared to the Riders visit last year which was also on a Saturday 4pm slot and there were about 3000 more sesson ticket holders last year too. Plus they didn't sell the upper east side for singles until 4-5 days before the game...once the 20.00 west side tickets sold out.

Considering the home opener against Hamilton which also has a large contingent of visiting fans (and we all get along!) drew 13.5K, I would say today is a positive though baby step
You are really trying to put a spin on a bad news situation.   The bottom line is that even with a better team this year, cheaper tickets, 2 for 1s, season ticket holder giveaways, a better schedule with more Saturday games,  they are still not drawing the fans. 
Season ticket holders down, attendance is down again.
Where did Michael Hook mention comps are down 65 per cent?   Wasn't he the ticket director that said they had sold 15k season tickets last season?

100 more Rider fans this year?   I can understand more Rider fans coming out this year,  they are having a great season.   
I was at the home opener last year against the Ticats when there were 24k fans and I was at the home opener this year when they drew 13k,   a lot of Ticat fans at both games.
The Ticat games and the Riders in town are usually the biggest draws at Argo games.   The next home game against the Bombers in 2 weeks will draw the lowest crowd of the year.   
Unless the Ticats are in Toronto for a playoff game,  they won't draw too many fans for a playoff home game.

I don't think you can spin the situation in Toronto,  I applaud the Argo fans that do come out and buy tickets.   The problem is that there are just not enough Torontonians interested in the Argos. 

It was a great game yesterday and both teams exciting to watch but too bad that fans didn't show up.

Mightygoose

You are really trying to put a spin on a bad news situation.   The bottom line is that even with a better team this year, cheaper tickets, 2 for 1s, season ticket holder giveaways, a better schedule with more Saturday games,  they are still not drawing the fans.
Season ticket holders down, attendance is down again.
Where did Michael Hook mention comps are down 65 per cent?   Wasn't he the ticket director that said they had sold 15k season tickets last season?

100 more Rider fans this year?   I can understand more Rider fans coming out this year,  they are having a great season.  
I was at the home opener last year against the Ticats when there were 24k fans and I was at the home opener this year when they drew 13k,   a lot of Ticat fans at both games.
The Ticat games and the Riders in town are usually the biggest draws at Argo games.   The next home game against the Bombers in 2 weeks will draw the lowest crowd of the year.  
Unless the Ticats are in Toronto for a playoff game,  they won't draw too many fans for a playoff home game.

I don't think you can spin the situation in Toronto,  I applaud the Argo fans that do come out and buy tickets.   The problem is that there are just not enough Torontonians interested in the Argos.

It was a great game yesterday and both teams exciting to watch but too bad that fans didn't show up.
Slim....or however your name is thie time.

How is being up 100 fans per respective game year over year for the game team a spin? Didn't you say many times that the Ti-Cat home opener would be the biggest turnout be the biggest turnout of the year many times this year? Hmmm.....that's now been topped 3 times now doesn’t it. Lowest crowd of the year was 11K and change vs. the Lions and the game vs. Winnipeg is already trending higher so maybe they'll top 13.5K and looks poised to be 4!

Hook said mamy of these things on Argofans this week. BTW he's the Sr. Director of ticket sales and service...not some annymous rep.

So attendance is not where it needs to be the ST base is down but considering single game ticket sales are good that they can keep prices the same next year while their competitors increase...I think they'll be just fine.

Aerial

I must say how much more enjoyable it is watching a game on television from BMO than from the Rogers Centre, like night and day for me regardless of the number of people in attendance.

West

While the attendance was down it seemed like people who were there were into the game. 

dcmoses

I must say how much more enjoyable it is watching a game on television from BMO than from the Rogers Centre, like night and day for me regardless of the number of people in attendance.
Are you not close enough to go to the game?

dcmoses

Can anyone in the east challenge for the Grey Cup? I haven't seen an east team play a full 60 minute game yet which is what cost the Argos in this game.

Aerial

Buddy, I pay for cable TV and live sports is what makes the cost of even a basic package with TSN and Sportsnet the cost it is, the most expensive part of cable.

I am paying for NHL games, MLB games including the Jays, CFL games which is the only reason really I subscribe to cable for the most part, MLS games, Raptors etc.  

You might think I'm stupid for saying this but I'm a season ticket subscriber to pro sports continuing to subscribe to cable TV that includes all these live sports, some of which I don't give a crap about.

Do you get it?  Actually going to games if it's that important to any league for their survival is a league that is doomed to failure in the new world, IMHO.  I feel I'm doing my part, without question.

The most successful pro leagues in the future will not need to have anybody at games, joe blow wise,  except corporate stuff.  IMHO.  Joe Blow wise citizens going to games paying will just be a bit of gravy.

You need to read this:

The rise of sports TV costs and why your cable bill keeps going up

The rising cost of sports is a major reason for the higher cable bills. Sports now make up about 40% of programming costs paid by cable and satellite TV operators. For example, ESPN costs an average $7.20 a month, per subscriber home, and a channel like SportsNet LA has been offered for about $4.50 a month, per subscriber home, according to consulting firm SNL Kagan. The NFL Network costs pay-TV companies $1.39 a month per subscriber — nearly twice the fee of such popular channels as Nickelodeon or CNN.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-sports-channels-20161128-story.html

Hey, go to live sports if you like to spend your money and time that way, go for it.  But anybody who thinks I'm a wanker for not doing so but subscribing to cable TV that is covering the sport and leagues I like, as well as those I couldn't care less about, well go fff.   yourself I say.  There are many aspects of my life and double dipping to pay pro athletes contracts isn't one of them.  I took a hike today on the Bruce Trail with my wife for about 3 hours and subscribe to TSN and Sportsnet and I have a life, I have absolutely no need to attend games anymore and still consider myself a sports fan paying for their pro athletes salaries via by cable subscription, thank you kindly.

It's about how you want to spend your money.  Bob Young would know this only too well.  When push comes to shove, I'm sure a guy like Bob Young would honestly say I'm doing my part to support the CFL.  And Blue Jays, Raptors, all Canadian pro teams etc.  No one in their right mind can deny that, if they are sane.

dcmoses

Buddy, I pay for cable TV and live sports is what makes the cost of even a basic package with TSN and Sportsnet the cost it is, the most expensive part of cable.

I am paying for NHL games, MLB games including the Jays, CFL games which is the only reason really I subscribe to cable for the most part, MLS games, Raptors etc.  

You might think I'm stupid for saying this but I'm a season ticket subscriber to pro sports continuing to subscribe to cable TV that includes all these live sports, some of which I don't give a crap about.

Do you get it?  Actually going to games if it's that important to any league for their survival is a league that is doomed to failure in the new world, IMHO.  I feel I'm doing my part, without question.

The most successful pro leagues in the future will not need to have anybody at games, joe blow wise,  except corporate stuff.  IMHO.  Joe Blow wise citizens going to games paying will just be a bit of gravy.

You need to read this:

The rise of sports TV costs and why your cable bill keeps going up

The rising cost of sports is a major reason for the higher cable bills. Sports now make up about 40% of programming costs paid by cable and satellite TV operators. For example, ESPN costs an average $7.20 a month, per subscriber home, and a channel like SportsNet LA has been offered for about $4.50 a month, per subscriber home, according to consulting firm SNL Kagan. The NFL Network costs pay-TV companies $1.39 a month per subscriber — nearly twice the fee of such popular channels as Nickelodeon or CNN.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-sports-channels-20161128-story.html

Hey, go to live sports if you like to spend your money and time that way, go for it.  But anybody who thinks I'm a wanker for not doing so but subscribing to cable TV that is covering the sport and leagues I like, as well as those I couldn't care less about, well go fff.   yourself I say.  There are many aspects of my life and double dipping to pay pro athletes contracts isn't one of them.  I took a hike today on the Bruce Trail with my wife for about 3 hours and subscribe to TSN and Sportsnet and I have a life, I have absolutely no need to attend games anymore and still consider myself a sports fan paying for their pro athletes salaries via by cable subscription, thank you kindly.

It's about how you want to spend your money.  Bob Young would know this only too well.  When push comes to shove, I'm sure a guy like Bob Young would honestly say I'm doing my part to support the CFL.  And Blue Jays, Raptors, all Canadian pro teams etc.  No one in their right mind can deny that, if they are sane.
WOW! You have some anger issues to deal with.

I asked a question. I don't know where you live or how many games you attend if you do. For all I know you live a days drive from the nearest CFL stadium. Maybe you're only a few hours from a stadium but aren't able to attend games for any number of valid reasons.

My question was asked because I did not know the answer and I don't think I asked it in any manner that could be considered anything but inquisitive. Your response was uncalled for but not surprising.

TravelPat1

FYI - an update on the pair of free tickets my friends got.  Apparently the lady who gave them the pair was a Riders fan who had an extra pair and one of my two friends was wearing a Riders jersey so she gave the pair to them. 

So a case of right place, right time AND right jersey.  :)

Aerial

You can interpret my answer Mr. Moses any way you wish to.  That is your perogative.  You simply asked a question and I simply answered.  I can attend any CFL game if I wish just as I could attend any concert if I wish.  We all make choices on how we spend our entertainment dollars and time.  Perhaps I should have kept it simply simple like that as an answer.  I don't pretend to be able to answer everyone's questions of me in a manner that they wish.  Guilty of that no question.

Users Online

118 Guests, 17 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Abendschan, sully, TCHABS, bobo82, Oskie18, Mark, KevinRiley2, RBFan2014, dcmoses, heapbag, brianjoxx, danoc_86, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, steeltownguy, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)