Lennywasout

Quote from: "Aerial"
Quote from: "RichardVeilleux"
What's the purpose, Grover?  Young children should all hope for the NBA? I don't care what players of other professionals leagues earn. Billions $$$$$$$$$$$$ TV contract. Do you compare your salary to Warren Buffet,Grover?

If you or some persons don't agree/like salaries paid in the CFL. just go and watch other professionals sports. The CFL can't afford to pay much more.That's the reality.

Richard

Yes Richard.  Professional sports is becoming a turnoff to me when I see an owner like MLSE pay one player $100 mill for a 3 season contract, in Lowry, and yet the ticket prices of games are well beyond what lower income families can afford to take their kids to a game.  I mean can't MLSE make affordable ticket prices if they can afford to pay one player this amount of money?
Earl

You actually don't know much about the basketball environment.  You have to be competitive
to attract fans in any sport. To be competitive you have to pay for elite players to CONTINUE TO SELL OUT  the ACC.   If they don't pay for players like DeRosen, Lowery, Ibaka, etc. how to they compete?  May as well fold the tent. And like the Jays, all salaries are in $US funds hence another disadvantage.  Ticket prices have to reflect that.Beer prices and other concession prices need to be higher. It's life in the big city. TV revenues are not as good as what the huge TV audience in the US can contribute.  
Toronto Argos used to attract large audiences. Even with the Leafs and Jays in town. I can remember going to Jays games where the attendance was horrible.  Same with Raptors.  Were they not major league back then?? Yes they were but were horrible teams to watch.  So, they spent money because they could and  sell out regularly because they are descent teams to watch. They have their ups and downs but always have a chance to win. Their marketing is fabulous. It draws people.  NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING MAJOE LEAGUE.

My argument falls apart when you consider the NHL in TO. But that us due to our Canadian culture around hockey and the corporate world who buys most of the tickets. Obviously winning is not what keeps people interested.  It's a Canadian passion that keeps the ACC filled with hockey fans.
You've been harping about the  perception of Torontonians not following anything that you conceive as a "major league" sport for as long as you've been posting. It's getting old.  
When was the last time you supported the CFL with owning seasons tickets?
Be part of the solution....not a constant critic of those who do not attend Toronto CFL games.

Aerial

Lenny, I knew you would do this:

I make about $35,000 a year on CPP and a hospital pension and my wife is retiring early, we will be making about $44,000 a year.  I will keep my seasons tickets for the CFL aka my cable subscription.  Our life though includes much more than pro sports and now we really have to watch how we spend our money in retirement.  I trust you can respect that.  

Be a man and respect people who pay for cable that includes live sports because live sports is the no. 1 factor in what is costing in your cable bill.

If you don't think I'm contributing to the CFL subscribing to TSN on cable, you are a complete ass I'd say. And there are a few other things I'd say, but I'm a nice guy. :wink:

cheers.  I have seasons tickets for the CFL, it's called subscribing to cable.  Not everyone might agree with this concept, but that's my universe and I'm sticking to it.  Ok, my cable seasons tickets would be considered "low end" seasons tickets by purists, but still, they are seasons tickets any way you want to cut the f...n mustard.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "Aerial"
Lenny, I knew you would do this:

I make about $35,000 a year on CPP and a hospital pension and my wife is retiring early, we will be making about $44,000 a year.  I will keep my seasons tickets for the CFL aka my cable subscription.  Our life though includes much more than pro sports and now we really have to watch how we spend our money in retirement.  I trust you can respect that.  

Be a man and respect people who pay for cable that includes live sports because live sports is the no. 1 factor in what is costing in your cable bill.

If you don't think I'm contributing to the CFL subscribing to TSN on cable, you are a complete ass I'd say. And there are a few other things I'd say, but I'm a nice guy. :wink:

cheers.  I have seasons tickets for the CFL, it's called subscribing to cable.  Not everyone might agree with this concept, but that's my universe and I'm sticking to it.

You're a far better fan Aerial than many of the louts, loudmouths, haters & vermin that glom onto various CFL fan site (including this one) but seldom have any insightful comments (positive or negative) but are johnny on the spotten lambasting others (like us) for posting opinions (positive or negative) and using our pensions to sustain cable coverage. I also deal in vintage CFL memorabilia - and I can tell you for a fact that in Winnipeg (where I reside) old bomber programs (from the mid 50s thru early 2000s) seldom fetch a glance when presented at street festivals or flea markets (I can no longer waste money on a physical location where landlords routinely steal $2,000 to $5,000 per month to generate $1500 to $1800 in sales. Most of my old bomber & CFL programs go from $1 to $3. When passerbyes and mopes tell me that's too much - I ask them what price they're prepared to offer. Most of them won't offer a dime.
The only CFL memorabilia that has any gravitas are old original CFL jerseys (signed or unsigned) from the Hall of Famers, full card sets from the early 50s thru late 60s and the odd unique item like old CFL bobbleheads.

Can't say how much CFL memorabilia I've donated (won't toss it out) to local churches and rummage sales over the years but lets say its substantial.

Now I'm prostituting myself selling rather new style Winnipeg Jets vintage stuff (sticks, bobblehead toys, signed photos, etc.). That and the odd mix of NFL, NBA & other NHL stuff creates my secondary paltry pension. I make a bit more selling old records & CDs. Had about 8 bookshops over my career but the book market is pretty dead. Great place for mopes and disturbos to walk in (no admittance fee or minimum charge like a restaurant) and talk their disturbed heads off. I had the best collections of native and northern books, civic histories, postcards & a generous smattering of left wing, anarchist and beatnik stuff. Had to dispose of it for pennies on the dollar. Some of the regular stuff like Margaret Atwood novels I just give to the church and they sell for a buck or 2.

As for sports books. Aspiring booksellers (there are very few of these left) should steer clear of these. At one time I had nearly 500 sports biographies and histories - from 1935 to 1980s. Have probably sold less than 40 sports books over the years as the sports fan is generally not interested in reading or other intellectual pursuits.

The best thing that happened to these books was a roof leak in one of my former locations - I was able to cash in an insurance policy on the section that got wet and fortunately it was the deadbeat sports section. I now only buy rare sports books or signed items that can be sold via internet or to a list of regulars I maintain. Ex. about 2 years ago I sold a boxing program from Madison Square Garden, circa 1939 featuring Joe Louis vs. Tony "Two Ton" Galento. Should have fetched $450 to $600 US$ but only got $100.

Have lots of old bomber & rider books by legends like bud grant, ken ploen, Gerry james, Ridgeway, Dunigan, etc. but literally can't give them away. I use them as gifts when I find a young bomber or CFL fan. btw my favourite CFL book is Leo Cahill's immortal biography Goodbye Argos. Laverne Barnes, wife of a CFL star also wrote a book in the 70s called Plastic Orgasm which is a classic. Haven't had a copy of her book for years.

So gradually the stuff that sells, sells on ebay or classic sports auction sites. Stuff like old WHA or NHL Jets sticks - the local sports memorabilia shops won't even pay me $10.

So its really amazing folks like us keep up our support of the CFL - even taking vicious barbs from many of the sickos who go to the games just to get pissant drunk and cause trouble!

We are still the heart & soul of the CFL.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

Aerial

So its really amazing folks like us keep up our support of the CFL - even taking vicious barbs from many of the sickos who go to the games just to get pissant drunk and cause trouble!

We are still the heart & soul of the CFL.

Very nicely put Lyle!  :thup:

ed ohmnes

I'm with you brother, sister?

Lennywasout

Man you guys can sure get off track when arguing any point.

Earls comments were directed at the perception that people in Toronto will only support what he sees as " major league". He commented on what he perceived is an injustice to the"little guy" who just saw Lowery get $100 million,  I did not agree with his comments (and yes he's been spouting this forever) .  I explained why this mad sense and did give examples when these major league teams struggled with attendance until they spent money and became competitive.
Suck it up and take criticism when it's due or give examples to refute my position.

Whining about my post just proves you have no logic to your argument .  I should know better than to challenge anything you post.   You just get defensive.  

And knowhere did I mention anyone's income level..  you have no idea what my financial situation is and I won't post it for all to scrutinize. I don't care how much you make.  It's not pertinent to the conversation.

BCRiderFan

Quote from: "Argofan_1000"
Might be others but this is what I would like.

I would like Randy Ambrosie to openly set the ground rules for a US team.   Why?

Owners are doing their part but if fans do not want to support their teams then the owners should have an opportunity to move their franchise.

Canadians just might be dumb enough to let their team slip through their fingers!  Quebec City or the East Coast is not the answer. Too small or no interest, right QC

Some of the larger Canadian centres are looking for US approval. Moving your team to the US - would that suffice?

Ridiculous.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

KevinRiley2

Randy Ambrosie was on Prime Time Sports.  Sadly, I tuned in at the very end.  Anyone hear the interview?
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

ed ohmnes

I like him already,  he should be positive for the league

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "ed ohmnes"
I like him already,  he should be positive for the league
Did you hear the interview?

My guess, he said nothing, but...

diehardesks

Ambrosie's first and only job......

Market the CFL. Enough said........

Aerial

Quote from: "Lennywasout"
Man you guys can sure get off track when arguing any point.

Earls comments were directed at the perception that people in Toronto will only support what he sees as " major league". He commented on what he perceived is an injustice to the"little guy" who just saw Lowery get $100 million,  I did not agree with his comments (and yes he's been spouting this forever) .  I explained why this mad sense and did give examples when these major league teams struggled with attendance until they spent money and became competitive.
Suck it up and take criticism when it's due or give examples to refute my position.

Whining about my post just proves you have no logic to your argument .  I should know better than to challenge anything you post.   You just get defensive.  

And knowhere did I mention anyone's income level..  you have no idea what my financial situation is and I won't post it for all to scrutinize. I don't care how much you make.  It's not pertinent to the conversation.

Lenny, it's not about injustice to the "little guy" actually.  It's about pro sports getting so caught up in the money making and image business that they are pricing families who don't have a lot of money but are big fans out of being able to attend games and cater to those with money.  Believe me, people with loads of money can be quite "smaller" than the guy making peanuts.  

Hey, the Raps, Leafs, Yankees, Cowboys etc. have tons of fans and don't need my two cents or me at all, and I'll keep spouting this until your ears fly off your head there Lenny man man.  If you don't like that though, tough crapola.  You don't have to read my posts at all if they bug you too much.  :D

Also, you will never make me feel guilty about being a true fan of the CFL and not having seasons tickets any longer.  I know that's your mantra but I ain't buying your schtick.  Got it?  I have to admit, I almost failed to see this uppity crapola mindset that you continue to harp with all the time.  My bad on that one.  But hey, if it makes you feel all good about yourself, keep up with this mantra because I really couldn't give a flying you know what.

High_Five

Increasing the salary cap as suggested above is just one of the initiatives that would help expand interest in the league.

An $8 million cap $2.8 M more than now, could line up like this
1 @ 1million
5 @ 500K - NFL minimum
5 @ 200 K - above NFL practice roster
5 @ 150 - NFL practice roster
15@ 100
10 @ $80K
10 practice squad at $55
8M approx
Comraderie, Victory, Legacy...

Lyle B. Style

Ambrosian's Task #1 is creating a flurry of activity without really saying much more than Rah-Rah, Koom-By-Yah . . . .

Some sharp reporters, who do little for the CFL during the season were the first to pounce on the CFL's so-called policy gap on concussions. Randy, who promised openness was suddenly forced to run & hide into the regular Orridge jibber-jabber on the subject.

He couldn't suddenly reverse the CFL course of ignoring concussions, thus opening up huge litigation problems down the road. NFL has the money to pay off most of its victims - CFL does NOT.

While I hate that a new hire, a guy promising full transparency and openness has to play jib-jab with the media - he was hired by a committee that this issue would continue to be suppressed - and suppressed it was.

RA can go city to city - getting the auto-rub from local sports media - meet players, fans, GMs, boards, coaches, administrations, etc. and this will be his initial training. Probably 3 to 5 weeks.

Hope he succeeds!

Argofan_1000

Quote from: "High_Five"
Increasing the salary cap as suggested above is just one of the initiatives that would help expand interest in the league.

An $8 million cap $2.8 M more than now, could line up like this
1 @ 1million
5 @ 500K - NFL minimum
5 @ 200 K - above NFL practice roster
5 @ 150 - NFL practice roster
15@ 100
10 @ $80K
10 practice squad at $55
8M approx

move the Cap to $8M  - move the 2 D.I.'s to the active roster - keep the ratio but let the coaches decide who should play (no on field ratio) Let the 2 kickers be either Nationals or Internationals and not count towards the ratio. Wouldn't cost the teams too much but the rewards would be bigger in time. Also use the signing bonus to draw players during draft time. Set a time limit so teams and players must decide.  

Then you have a starting group on each team that is as close as possible to an NFL team roster without paying $150 M US. If the owners agree then do it.

Users Online

196 Guests, 16 Users (12 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, tabbiefanmcb, Grover, jim43bob, Johnny Ticat slayer, DisplacedCatsFan, bobo82, Oskie18, mike2579, tcmike, toddstattoo, Mightygoose, cheater, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 261. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)