ArgoT

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Quote from: "ArgoT"
Definitely expansion to the East coast, then  possibly a couple of strategically based US teams in perhaps Maine, North Dakota?

That would be a huge task for the new Comish.......................... :?  :?
North Dakota ? - Fargo is the biggest town at just over 110k,   they have a dome stadium seats 19k but built around an NFL sized field. :lol:
Maine? - Portland is huge with a population of 66k and the biggest stadium in Maine at the University of Maine 10k    :lol:
East coast - doesn't have a stadium.    The locals in Halifax are trying to get a soccer team but no talk or interest in the CFL.

I think the Commish will be busy trying to save the Argos and figure out attendance problems in Montreal and BC

Other leagues also have issues and they still are expanding.
Our mom and pop league is no different, but growth is extremely crucial to grow the game especially added TV numbers in either QC or Halifax.
Heck maybe even Saskatoon?

depopulationINC

Quote from: "depopulationINC"
Quote from: "Argofan_1000"
Might be others but this is what I would like.

I would like Randy Ambrosie to openly set the ground rules for a US team.   Why?

Owners are doing their part but if fans do not want to support their teams then the owners should have an opportunity to move their franchise.

Canadians just might be dumb enough to let their team slip through their fingers!  Quebec City or the East Coast is not the answer. Too small or no interest, right QC

Some of the larger Canadian centres are looking for US approval. Moving your team to the US - would that suffice?

Fat chance.

Ambrosie was against the US expansion the first go...mainly because the ratio could not be enforced.  Not going to happen.

Maybe he should be looking at reducing the Canadian ratio.  Trying to find enough quality Canadian players every year is getting harder and harder.   We read about more high schools dropping their football programs and kids playing other sports,  that means less football players going to the CIS and fewer quality players to fill the ratio.

I would argue it is getting easier.  There was a gap when a new team came in...that was about it.  Jr and CIS level players are much better as a hole than they were a decade ago and there are more and more coming out of the US.

depopulationINC

Definitely expansion to the East coast, then  possibly a couple of strategically based US teams in perhaps Maine, North Dakota?

North Dakota ? - Fargo is the biggest town at just over 110k,   they have a dome stadium seats 19k but built around an NFL sized field. :lol:
Maine? - Portland is huge with a population of 66k and the biggest stadium in Maine at the University of Maine 10k    :lol:
East coast - doesn't have a stadium.    The locals in Halifax are trying to get a soccer team but no talk or interest in the CFL.

I think the Commish will be busy trying to save the Argos and figure out attendance problems in Montreal and BC

Our mom and pop league is no different, but growth is extremely crucial to grow the game especially added TV numbers in either QC or Halifax.

So take one strong franchise and make 2 weak ones?  That is if somehow a stadium were to even get funded.  Call back when the population of Saskatoon is 4-500k.

PTBO Dave

I think the most pressing issue he'll have to face is the low pay for the league's website moderators. Fix that, and everything else should fall into place nicely.

Argofan_1000

I think QC would be a very good expansion city but they are not interested. Halifax not yet. I am more interested in protecting the league then US expansion but the league should set the ground rules in case this must be explored.

So turn our focus on the rules only right now for adding 1 US team.

No ratio - I am ok with that. A different field size has to happen as they cannot fit a full size field in their stadiums.  15 yard end zones with a 100 yard field X 60 wide probably could make that work.  Move the hash marks in line with the goal posts and the game would be the same. Discuss all of it

Should also write into the league constitution how many Canadian teams must reside in Canada. US expansion if it works gives a US owner so many financial advantages. 35 cents on the dollar with potential for a regional TV contract plus other things.

depopulationINC

I think QC would be a very good expansion city but they are not interested. Halifax not yet. I am more interested in protecting the league then US expansion but the league should set the ground rules in case this must be explored.

So turn our focus on the rules only right now for adding 1 US team.

No ratio - I am ok with that. A different field size has to happen as they cannot fit a full size field in their stadiums.  15 yard end zones with a 100 yard field X 60 wide probably could make that work.  Move the hash marks in line with the goal posts and the game would be the same. Discuss all of it

Should also write into the league constitution how many Canadian teams must reside in Canada. US expansion if it works gives a US owner so many financial advantages. 35 cents on the dollar with potential for a regional TV contract plus other things.

drop the rouge...get rid of the no yards...become a direct farm team.

The US is a mistake unless a ratio can be held...that is not going to happen.  If teams in the US succeed it is a long term death blow to the CFL.  There is no way around it...when you can pick any player you want and your $ is not on par US teams will dominate given enough time.  You want to see a CFL where a Canadian champion becomes a rarity?  Even adding 2 US teams who can establish themselves will accomplish this.  

I was not born here and I can still see this need some have to get their foot in the US like this is simply crazy.  There is no need.  Worst case...a team drops and we see an 8 team league.  Best case...Things stabilize and we maybe see another Canadian team some time down the road.

You don't want the ratio...it is not the CFL.  I know so many people that if the ratio is turfed they put their attention to the NFL.

PTBO Dave

In all seriousness, I think the most pressing business for the new commish is business. The BOG has to figure out a way to increase fan interest in our largest cities: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, particularly  Vancouver and Toronto.

If the league can build its business model in these markets, then expansion will follow naturally. In the meantime, they should try to keep growing the league's profile in QC and Halifax, but they can't force expansion. If someone like OSEG comes along from those or any other cities, then great.

I would think getting the teams on board for a national sales and promotion strategy would be a positive. I think the league needs a coordinated ad campaign post-Grey Cup/pre-Christmas time and in the 4-6 weeks leading up to kick off.

GHT120

... So turn our focus on the rules only right now for adding 1 US team ...

By "no ratio" do you mean for the US-Based teams or the league as a whole?
* If the former, then unless the new US teams are stupid enough to hire idiots, like every US team but Baltimore did last time, then it would be a Baltimore redux; they made the Grey Cup their first year (lost on a last-second field goal) and won the second/last year (by 17, the last of 16 straight wins).  No ratio gives the teams a HUGE advantage; even the salary cap could be an issue; CFL would become a two tier league ... US and Canadian teams.
* If the latter, that is as radical as just switching to NFL rules.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

depopulationINC

Quote from: "PTBO Dave"
In all seriousness, I think the most pressing business for the new commish is business. The BOG has to figure out a way to increase fan interest in our largest cities: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, particularly  Vancouver and Toronto.

If the league can build its business model in these markets, then expansion will follow naturally. In the meantime, they should try to keep growing the league's profile in QC and Halifax, but they can't force expansion. If someone like OSEG comes along from those or any other cities, then great.

I would think getting the teams on board for a national sales and promotion strategy would be a positive. I think the league needs a coordinated ad campaign post-Grey Cup/pre-Christmas time and in the 4-6 weeks leading up to kick off.

well said

ed ohmnes

I suggested they try start a league paper to hand out at games free , if that was possible,  but they don't seem to have money for these extra marketing ideas ,  even once a month for starters

ticat1

Have had some interesting talks worth Toronto sports fans and folks that work in the venues.

At least 1/3 of the attendance at jays Leafs and raptors games are fans that are there for that game and that game only.

The Argos HAVE to start advertising outside the Toronto core and start attracting out of town support.

Kitchener Waterloo is prime territory. I see lots of Argo and ticat fans here but very little is done to grow support here

And what to the Argos do in Brampton? Mississauga? Oakville? Scarborough? Ajax? Whitby? Etobicoke?

That's literally millions of people that see or hear very little to get them out to games

ed ohmnes

The Mississauga argoes

depopulationINC

Quote from: "ticat1"
Have had some interesting talks worth Toronto sports fans and folks that work in the venues.

At least 1/3 of the attendance at jays Leafs and raptors games are fans that are there for that game and that game only.

The Argos HAVE to start advertising outside the Toronto core and start attracting out of town support.

Kitchener Waterloo is prime territory. I see lots of Argo and ticat fans here but very little is done to grow support here

And what to the Argos do in Brampton? Mississauga? Oakville? Scarborough? Ajax? Whitby? Etobicoke?

That's literally millions of people that see or hear very little to get them out to games

"GTA Argos"
For sure.

Preisst

Expansion to the USA is a non-starter for me.    I think it's a terrible idea.....
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

official32

Advertise and Marketing:  The CFL and individual teams should be marketed across the country.  TSN does a pretty good job but other Canadian partners will hopefully assist.  Obviously, I don't know about the contractual agreements, but if local affiliates and perhaps the CBC could get on the same page there is a real opportunity.  The games thus far have been a real pleasure to watch.

I hope Randy is confirmed as Commissioner.  He is well aware of the assets and liabilities the CFL hold.

Users Online

65 Guests, 3 Users (16 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, Bayargonaut00, Braleyneedstogo, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)