hoth

hey Lyle, I posted the pic of the Mike O' Shea auto just for you.
His best card. I've never seen another one.
Thanks Chris,
Where did u post it?

Three posts up.

O'Shea, Stegall & Calvillo autos in the pic.

Balticfox

Here are a couple of favourites from my collection, including the chocolate bar wrapper for the Blue Ribbon cards:

Wow! A wrapper! How did you chance upon getting it?

I'm still wondering whether these Blue Ribbon cards were also included within Blue Ribbon tea, coffee and cocoa packages.

???
Radically Canadian!

Balticfox

Various..."stuff'.

Wow! Those 1956 Shredded Wheat cards and 1959 Wheaties cards you have look nice and white from the above pictures! Are they really that white? I've found that the the cardboard stock used for the 1956 Shredded Wheat cards in particular has a nasty tendency to yellow/tone which I hate. (When it comes to cards I'm tough on corners and toning, but I'm easy on centering.)

I started to collect the 1956 Wheaties cards about twenty years ago but since I was finding so very few of the Shredded Wheats (or 1959 Wheaties) that were up to my quality standards, I abandoned the effort. Since both these sets were slightly "before my time", I don't remember these cards from the schoolyard so I have basically no nostalgia for either set which dramatically lessens my compulsion to accumulate them.

What really soured me on the 1956 Shredded Wheat set though was that an older fellow who saw an ad I was running in the late nineties in the Canadian Sportcard Collector magazine dropped into my office around the turn of the century with fifty to sixty of the Shredded Wheats that he said he'd gotten out of the boxes when they were issued and just put them away. Well they were all toned to different shades of tan! Why would they have been all so different if they were stored together, unless the cardboard stock on which they were printed was of very irregular quality/consistency? Of course the fellow could have been lying about being the original owner....

Moreover the fellow turned out to be completely unrealistic/impossible. First of all he wanted the full NM price from the Charlton guide for every one of the cards, and like I say they were all toned to various degrees. A few also had dinged corners. Now I might have selected four or five of his whitest cards, but he called that "cherry picking" and didn't want to sell me just a few! (And it's not as if I was going to pick out the "stars", just the cards that came the closest to my NM standards.) 

So in effect he wanted me to take the whole lot with every card priced at the high guide price! When I asked him what I was supposed to do with the cards I didn't need/want for my own collection, he replied that he assumed I'd sell them to my contacts among other collectors. So in effect he wanted me to take all the cards off his hands at full price, and then play the dealer with other collectors hoping to break even on the lot. "So you're expecting me to put up the cash up front, yet do the job of selling your cards for you?" I said. He agreed that, yes, he expected precisely that. 

Meanwhile for the whole lot I was willing to pay no more than about $30 per card. No deal of course. The outrageous of his proposal still makes me mad whenever I think back about it.

>:(

hoth

I need the Rollie Miles card. Sell me the one that's been sitting in a box in your dad's basement since 1965.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/24l8uwz.jpg

ArgoFan1

I have the complete set of the 1961 cards.  Here are a few.  Hopefully I can get this to show up.

Hank01

I have the complete set of the 1961 cards.  Here are a few.  Hopefully I can get this to show up.
 Are these the small one's . 

I have a R Jackson and R Lancaster from about that time but they are small and black and white .

Haven't been able to find them to post .

Vermonter

Someone's gotta have ole Spaghetti Legs

1898, 1900, 02, 25, 26, 40, 51, 60, 68, 69, 73, 76, 2016

Balticfox

I have the complete set of the 1961 cards.  Here are a few.  Hopefully I can get this to show up.
Are these the small one's .

No, the small ones were from 1962. They were issued as panels of two cards with a perforation down the middle between the two cards. The two cards could then be separated from each other by breaking them apart at the perforation. Pretty brutal.

:)

Balticfox

Someone's gotta have ole Spaghetti Legs.

I have the 1957-1965 Topps cards of Jackie Parker, the 1963 and 1964 Post cereal cards of Jackie Parker and the 1963 CFL coin of Jackie Parker. I'll be posting all of these over the next few weeks.

8) 

CFL Pete

Awesome cards.  Blown away by Hoth's collection.  

Do any of you collectors remember the inflatable "football men" that used to come in the uniforms of all nine teams?  It was an item in the early seventies, a little guy with a ball under his arm?  Coolest CFL toy ever, with the Post mini-helmets and DQ sundae helmet bowls.  

Or, CFL Illustrated, anyone?

Retro Rider

Awesome cards.  Blown away by Hoth's collection.  

Do any of you collectors remember the inflatable "football men" that used to come in the uniforms of all nine teams?  It was an item in the early seventies, a little guy with a ball under his arm?  Coolest CFL toy ever, with the Post mini-helmets and DQ sundae helmet bowls.  

Yes on the CFL Illustrated magazine/programs & Dairy Queen helmets. I finally completed my set of DQ helmets long after the promotion was over (in the early 1990's).

http://collectingcanadianfootball.blogspot.com/2017/07/dairy-queen-serves-up-winner.html?m=0

http://collectingcanadianfootball.blogspot.com/2018/02/illustrating-cfl.html?m=1

Thanks to Hoth and others for some amazing photos in this thread!

Hank01

Awesome cards.  Blown away by Hoth's collection.  

Do any of you collectors remember the inflatable "football men" that used to come in the uniforms of all nine teams?  It was an item in the early seventies, a little guy with a ball under his arm?  Coolest CFL toy ever, with the Post mini-helmets and DQ sundae helmet bowls.  

Yes on the CFL Illustrated magazine/programs & Dairy Queen helmets. I finally completed my set of DQ helmets long after the promotion was over (in the early 1990's).

http://collectingcanadianfootball.blogspot.com/2017/07/dairy-queen-serves-up-winner.html?m=0

http://collectingcanadianfootball.blogspot.com/2018/02/illustrating-cfl.html?m=1

Thanks to Hoth and others for some amazing photos in this thread!
 Have some of both .

Impressed that you could still find DQ helmets  kicking around in the 90's .

Never completed mine and I think I am down to one left after a few moves . 

Have a few old CFL illustrated as well . 

Love to look at them after an extended period of time .

The DQ helmets ; if they ever came back it would be an easy collectable for me .

Impressed with the sheets of stickers and display sheets as well .

hoth

1972 Chiquita CFL All-Stars

Complete, two-sided, 13 slide set + photos of all 26 players in the viewer, 300 DPI jpeg format, 76mb, .zip :

https://we.tl/DYDH2NNN7e

Link expires 2018-07-09.

Balticfox

Those Chiquita All-Star slides are really tough to find. I wasn't aware of the issue back in 1972. When I did learn of the existence of these slides back in the last decade of the twentieth century, I just thought they were bizarre and unattractive.

:-\

I've been busy this week compiling cards and magazines to scan which I'll soon post.

:)

CatsFaninOttawa

This thread is making me sad that my friends and I didn't show these cards more respect when we were kids. Mostly kept in a stack wrapped in an elastic, and occasionally traded, but mostly thrown against the school wall to see who could get closer (winner got both). So all of mine are in really rough shape. Still interesting, and some are hilarious (especially Topps 1963 By Bailey), but unfortunately not really worth anything.

Users Online

34 Guests, 1 User (8 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
of course, Google (AdSense), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)