CatsFaninOttawa

Can we please get rid of the Canadian ratio?  At least reduce it so we can bring up the best talent available without limitations.  At minimum get rid of the on field ratio please.  Have a ratio for practice roster players and let the CIS drafts earn playing time.
Can we please increase the number of Canadian players required, both in the roster as a whole and in the number of starters?

(To see what a hot topic this is, and that there is no agreement among fans, you may want to take a look at this thread on the Ticats forum.)

http://forums.cfl.ca/hamilton-tiger-cats/5/pros-and-cons-of-import-rule/72243/

Argofan_1000

Would the league consider removing the on field ratio of 7 Canadians?

Keeping the team ratio would be an natural constraint and the fear of Canadians not playing would not be substantiated in fact.

It lets the coaches coach and not try to juggle the on field ratio after injury or other.  Also changes the draft so the focus will be on the best Canadians and not the best Lineman. May help in protecting the QB's the stars of the league by placing less qualified players sub to a position they may not be familiar with. Could also have a positive affect on perception in the bigger centers knowing the best players on a team play.

Suggestion also with the 2 designated imports per team moving them to the active roster. Would let the current Canadian teams to be in a position to compete if US expansion were to ever happen again. Just deriving plans and may never happen but you never know. 

sully

Some really great questions in here, folks. I won't be doing any filtering/scrubbing of questions - at most I'll combine repeated questions, but it's not for me to decide what the commissioner wants to tackle. 

Re: Player ratio, no need to debate it in this thread. I'll include both "increase the ratio" and "remove the ratio" as questions and someone else can decide.
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

CatsFaninOttawa

Some really great questions in here, folks. I won't be doing any filtering/scrubbing of questions - at most I'll combine repeated questions, but it's not for me to decide what the commissioner wants to tackle.

Re: Player ratio, no need to debate it in this thread. I'll include both "increase the ratio" and "remove the ratio" as questions and someone else can decide.
Perfect. That's what I was going for by replying to the original question / recommendation with the opposite.

:)

c-way-dude

My apologies because I know that I have mentioned this a few times in the past, but what about the idea of the league offering any city willing to contribute a set amount to constructing a stadium a guaranteed opportunity to host 3 or 4 Grey Cups over a 7 to 10 year span?  The taxes generated from the economic activity generated from hosting would help contributing governments recoup their investments.  It would help in swaying public opinion on government investment in a stadium.  Events like the Olympics and FIFA World Cup generate public support for investment in facilities.  The NFL has granted Super Bowls to cities that have built new stadiums.  The NHL, MLB, and NBA have given All-Star Games to cities building new facilities.  
It would still be good pr for the league even if it didn't lead to any new facilities. 

Gornaldatron

Given the big impact TV viewership has nowadays, my questions are about that:

1) Can the CFL move to a more rigid scheduling system? The NHL has Hockey Night in Canada at 7pm ET on Saturdays, the NFL has all of their games starting the same times every week and the MLB and NBA do this to an extent. To attract more casual viewers, if they know a CFL game is going to be on at a specific time, it will be easier for them to watch. I recognize our time zone challenge, but even having all eastern teams host Thursday Night Football at 8pm ET would be a start. Standard slots on Saturday would be easier, and a reduction in late games for BC/Alberta teams would be nice for people in the Eastern/Atlantic/Newfoundland time zone. More to that, a reduction in early games for viewers in the West would be nice (BC crossing over to the east playoffs means 10am start times).

2) What is the league doing to increase Millennial viewership when most don't have cable? Are we working toward a way that would allow fans to stream games online via a subscription service through TSN.ca, CFL.ca, twitter, etc?

3) TSN has been a great partner for the CFL, but would the league consider expanding to CBC or Sportsnet (provided there is interest from those parties)? The CFL gets almost no mention on Sportsnet because it is not their property so they have no reason to promote it. By increasing the broadcast partners (giving them one game per week or something), it would expand the reach. 

Thank you for doing this!

RichardVeilleux

Not a question but more a wish/hope.

Since the 2014 season, the max. salary cap has increased  by only 3% or $150,000,i.e. $50,000 a year; to me, it should have been no less than $100,000 a season. I do know that the max. cap went from $4.4 millions in 2013 to $5.0 millions in 2014, but a $50,000 yearly increase in the next 3 years was not enough.

For the 2018 season and the last year of the agreement between the League and Players, I do hope THAT THE MAX. CAP WILL INCREASE BY $150,000. to $5.3 millions.

Thank you

Richard

PTBO Dave

Given the big impact TV viewership has nowadays, my questions are about that:

2) What is the league doing to increase Millennial viewership when most don't have cable? Are we working toward a way that would allow fans to stream games online via a subscription service through TSN.ca, CFL.ca, twitter, etc?
This is a great question, IMO. I think the league should be pressing TSN as media rights holder to make a streaming subscription available to viewers who don't have and don't wnat a cable package (or even a TV for that matter).

Preisst

Oftentimes when the subject of the CFL comes up the 20 and even 30 something crowd of people I talk to they express an extreme vitriol towards the league.  When pressed on why, they usually don't even know why they don't like the CFL,  the closest I've come to a concrete answer is that the NFL is better.

What does the league intend to do to stem this growing tide of anti-CFL?
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

CatsFaninOttawa

Is there anything preventing the broadcaster from getting a direct feed from the stadium clock? Often, the clock on the TV screen ends up out of synch with the official clock, so viewers end up confused when the game ends with seemingly a second or two left, or when it appears that the clock is running when it shouldn't, or vice versa.

sambo42

So far, I think the no pads practices are a failure... Riders had 9 guys injured yesterday... I think more thought should be put into this policy. I think a practice or two in full pads is a necessity, and this should be revisited after the season is over. 

Farnorthtrader

A suggestion more than a question.  The last two weeks, the Edmonton Eskimos have used up their one challenge and then there has been an uncalled head shot on their quarterback.  The CC intervened to pull the quarterback out of one of the games and also seem to have called an objectionable conduct penalty in the same game.
While I have to admit that I disagree with the one challenge per game rule change, I get the purpose of it and the abuse of the previous rule, however, in the interest of player safety, would it not make sense for the CC, if they can intervene in the case of objectionable conduct which hurts no one, to be able to intervene to call  roughing penalties, which potentially can injure the players that we pay to watch play?

raymarkca

I grow tired of talking theoretical with all the NFL only fans that say the talent in these league is not comparable to the "great NFL" (even with the Canadian ratio handicap).   I am more then willing to put it to the test.   How about talking with the NFL about reopening the idea of a NFL vs CFL exhibition series?   Home and Home each league uses home rules.   Pick a random (cough dont pick Montreal this year) team from each league for the series.   

Good pub for the CFL.   
Gives CFL players a real chance to show what they can do which NFL training camps do not do.
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates.  Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Warning subject matter may require thinking outside the box.
Visit
http://www.raymark.ca

sambo42

I grow tired of talking theoretical with all the NFL only fans that say the talent in these league is not comparable to the "great NFL" (even with the Canadian ratio handicap).   I am more then willing to put it to the test.   How about talking with the NFL about reopening the idea of a NFL vs CFL exhibition series?   Home and Home each league uses home rules.   Pick a random (cough dont pick Montreal this year) team from each league for the series.  

Good pub for the CFL.  
Gives CFL players a real chance to show what they can do which NFL training camps do not do.
I don't think this will ever fly... but since you brought it up... how about Hamilton vs. New England? or Ottawa vs. Atlanta?... results should be interesting...

raymarkca

Good pub for the CFL.  
I don't think this will ever fly... but since you brought it up... how about Hamilton vs. New England? or Ottawa vs. Atlanta?... results should be interesting...
Clearly your not picking random teams here by trying to skew the matchup in favour of NFL.  Even if New England beats Hamiltion what does that say? nothing.  New England beats on the majority of the NFL also, and Hamiltion loses to most of the other CFL teams.    The best results would be done by picking average vs average and lets see just how much better the NFL average team is.  An example matchup could be   Bills vs Eskimos.  I will put my money on the CFL team to be more than competitive on NFL fields and to win on CFL fields.   All the CFL team needs to do is be competitive to shut most people up.  Worst case CFL team gets beat terribly which everyone seems to expect anyway.  If that were to happen than it would be a good reason to finally drop the ratio and that is not a bad thing frankly.   

Users Online

209 Guests, 11 Users (19 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
safetyblitz, jim43bob, Count Floyd, rpaege, vampiresquid, GHT120, cheater, Chewbaca1973, Google (19)

Most Online Today: 300. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)