Vermonter

Boring might be a bit of hyperbole. Playoff games are always pretty exciting. 

But when a Championship is on the line, it adds more pizzaz to the game. 

Say you lose the Grey Cup. Under the current system you'd still have the divisional title. So the season isn't a total waste. Without divisions, it's Grey Cup or bust. 

Initially I thought you were asking if I'd find a Ottawa-Calgary game more exciting if it were for the Grey Cup instead of an Ottawa-Calgary match up in a Semi-final. Um, yes. But now I get what you are saying.

And that brings up another thing that I hadn't really considered. 

Right now, my favourite West Division team just so happens to be Calgary. I root for them in every game unless they are playing Ottawa. 

If you got rid of divisions, then I'd have to root against them any time that they were playing against an underdog, because it would help Ottawa's seeding if they lost. And that would suck. It would pretty much mean that I would have to root against them in just about every game that they played. 

Under the current system that would never come into play, unless they were in a crossover situation where they might bump the RedBlacks from playoffs. 

dcmoses

Boring might be a bit of hyperbole. Playoff games are always pretty exciting.

But when a Championship is on the line, it adds more pizzaz to the game.

Say you lose the Grey Cup. Under the current system you'd still have the divisional title. So the season isn't a total waste. Without divisions, it's Grey Cup or bust.

Initially I thought you were asking if I'd find a Ottawa-Calgary game more exciting if it were for the Grey Cup instead of an Ottawa-Calgary match up in a Semi-final. Um, yes. But now I get what you are saying.

And that brings up another thing that I hadn't really considered.

Right now, my favourite West Division team just so happens to be Calgary. I root for them in every game unless they are playing Ottawa.

If you got rid of divisions, then I'd have to root against them any time that they were playing against an underdog, because it would help Ottawa's seeding if they lost. And that would suck. It would pretty much mean that I would have to root against them in just about every game that they played.

Under the current system that would never come into play, unless they were in a crossover situation where they might bump the RedBlacks from playoffs.
And there is where we disagree. Divisional title means nothing to me and I don't think it means anything to any team outside of MLB. As a Blue Jay fan from the beginning until I stopped watching in the 90s the only thing that matter was the 2 World Series wins, the 3 division titles prior to that were just missed opportunities.

As for the 2nd, it does change how we look at the standings and that is the whole point. However, you should be cheering for Calgary not against them. Ottawa cannot catch Calgary and is only mathematically in the hunt to pass Winnipeg. You should cheer for those 2 teams the rest of the way as every game those 2 play is either against a team behind Ottawa, Toronto ahead of Ottawa or a team they may need to pass to prevent a crossover should they fall to 3rd.

Vermonter

Yes I already know that the Division Title means nothing to you, as you wish that the Divisions didn't even exist in the first place. 

My comments are a representation of my own personal opinion on the matter. Nothing more, nothing less. 

dcmoses

Yes I already know that the Division Title means nothing to you, as you wish that the Divisions didn't even exist in the first place.

My comments are a representation of my own personal opinion on the matter. Nothing more, nothing less.
And that was only my opinion. I could have given a rude reply like your but instead I tried to explain my opinion. Won't make that mistake on someone as ignorant as you again. 

You clearly don't want to discuss just jump to conclusion (second time your done that just this thread). 

I'm out.

jaybird24

Sixty Years of East vs West,   a few years of West dominance and there is a call for one division?
Keep it as is.

dcmoses

Sixty Years of East vs West,   a few years of West dominance and there is a call for one division?
Keep it as is.
Can't speak for everyone but for me it has nothing to do with divisional dominance. It's about rewarding regular season play and leaving ope the possibility that the top 2 regular season teams can meet in the Grey Cup. Won't happen this year. Couldn't happen in 1996, last year before crossover, as the top 2 teams were in the east. Top 2 teams don't have to meet in the Grey Cup but I think the playoffs should be set up such that they can make the game without having to knock each other out prior to getting there.

If they have to meet in a game to qualify for the Grey Cup it makes the regular season play meaningless. Skip it and just draw straws for playoff seeding.

Users Online

58 Guests, 5 Users (11 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, Burris1, Pongetti, ed ohmnes, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)